Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitted out arrogant, elitist, unfriendly, aloof roadie snobs.....

I hear about these folks regularly on Bike Forums. Here in Austin I encounter plenty of riders kitted out on $5000 CF bikes with aero bars, etc. In fact, I rode with a group of all kitted out high dollar road bike owners this morning. Where we rode this morning (Loop 360, Bee Caves Rd. for those who know Austin) there were throngs of kitted out roadies everywhere like flies on a turd. Here I am, an old fart on their turf with flat bars, platform pedals, steel-toed work boots, cotton t-shirt, levi shorts. Some of these kitted out roadies I hung with, many passed me, I passed some. But they are all super friendly! What's the deal? What am I missing? How come they all have a friendly hello at the stoplights or when passing me, or, occasionally , being passed by me? Why does this keep happening to me? I am starting to think the creature in the title of my post is a myth.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Endura, 1977 Peugeot A08, 1973 Mercier 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moxt people I meet are pretty nice, i ride solo, 80% of the other riders nod or wave. ( I have a CF bike and cheapo kits) However in the more Urban areas around here riders with cleats simply dont stop and follow road etiquette, just zoom along scaring people. I have cleats, just a pain unclipping etc I can see why its happening.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a myth. you just happened to encounter a good group that day. Sooner or later, you will encounter the rather odd, mythological creature you describe.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got some people down there, computer code writers, making a lot more money than most folks, too ..

Steel toe boots I guess your crew may have built the buildings they work in..

My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you get more hospitality out of "that kind" of cyclist when it's understood all around that you are the inferior one.I experience the same when I meet people who make lots more money than I do. They know - and I know - that there's no competition and that I'm not out to stab them in the back, so there's nothing to lose by being friendly to me. Get the analogy? Probably not, if you don't even use clipless pedals.
    Papa Tom

"I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe none of them were BF regulars.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Not a myth. you just happened to encounter a good group that day. Sooner or later, you will encounter the rather odd, mythological creature you describe.
    Ride about 75-125 miles a week around here and could count encounters with this type on the fingers of one hand.

Don in Austin

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    Maybe none of them were BF regulars.

Don in Austin

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Got some people down there, computer code writers, making a lot more money than most folks, too ..

Actually, I own small a car repair shop.

Don in Austin

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    I think you get more hospitality out of "that kind" of cyclist when it's understood all around that you are the inferior one.I experience the same when I meet people who make lots more money than I do. They know - and I know - that there's no competition and that I'm not out to stab them in the back, so there's nothing to lose by being friendly to me. Get the analogy? Probably not, if you don't even use clipless pedals.
    But every now and then I will pass one of them. I guess kitted out, hgh dollar bike, but hasn't ridden that much. They are still friendly. i have tried clipless and gave the pedals away. Maybe I never learned them properly, but I found little advantage and distinct inconvenience. Its rare that I ride with somebody who doesn't at least have toe cages.

Don in Austin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe they learned that it doesn't help to be an arrogant pr**k like Lance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly everyone I have met on the road has been friendly, from pros on down. Sure, there are jerks everywhere, but I only hear about roadie snobs on Bike Forums.
    In fact, another member once called me an arrogant roadie snob because I said something bad about toe-clips.

btw, Don, I have enjoyed your stories here and I suspect one of the reasons other riders are friendly to you is that you are friendly first.
    Last edited by big john; 05-05-13 at 03:26 PM.

My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I road years in rural west central ohio with many fully decked out roadie's on high end bikes that are great people . I move down to Cincinnati I run into a lot elitist, arogant, jerks depends on where you are we have 3 high end collages could be rich kids living on daddies money thing
    Every breath I Have ever taken as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post

Can we reference more stereotypes here?

My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >>>> i have tried clipless and gave the pedals away.<<<<

You got that I was being "tongue-in-cheek" with that remark, right? I don't use clipless, either.
    Papa Tom

"I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I even met some kitted out morons on single track today. There are like zombies! You don't see em very often, but they are out there.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hate those "kitted-out" cyclists, too. Why can't they just ride in blue jeans and a cotton T-shirt like everybody else?
    And I did it all clean.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    +1

Bill
    Me too. I just don't get this class warfare crap.

Ten years ago I lost a job. I struggled financially for a number of years afterwards. Then I struggled some more. Then I became fortunate and am not struggling at all right now. Then I'll probably lose my job .

The truth is...I don't stand a chance
    Its something that you're born into...
    And I just don't belong...

No I don't - I'm just a no class, beat down fool
    And I will always be that way
    I might as well enjoy my life
    And watch the stars play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that most encounters are a two way street. Most times I smile and wave and most often I get the same back. Other times I am absorbed in some train of thought or other and don't acknowledge other cyclists in my vicinity. I suppose that might be thought of as snobbish by the other folks. Yes I have been rebuffed when I am trying to be friendly. On the other hand I have also been forced to acknowledge other riders when they break through my self absorption.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kits usually make sense. When you ride long and hard, cycling clothes feel and work better. Generally the better clothes costs more and when you get jerseys, they either are team or look like team jerseys. Same with shorts/bibs. So a lot of what you see are just wants available when you are buying good quality.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    >>>> i have tried clipless and gave the pedals away.<<<<

You got that I was being "tongue-in-cheek" with that remark, right? I don't use clipless, either.
    10-4

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    Kits usually make sense. When you ride long and hard, cycling clothes feel and work better. Generally the better clothes costs more and when you get jerseys, they either are team or look like team jerseys. Same with shorts/bibs. So a lot of what you see are just wants available when you are buying good quality.
    Well, I sure don't have anything against people wearing that stuff -- my best riding buddies do. I just never felt the purpose for it in my personal case.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that you are hopelessly clinging to your real world experiences with actual road bike riders while ignoring the largely imaginary straw man stereotypical "roadie" that other posters are disparaging.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wonder if you were riding by "judicial decree"...lol no license due to ???...or perhaps not enough money for a car considering your clothing or maybe commuting to work?
    I tend to mind my own business when riding and seldom wave first but will wave back...

Everyone riding a bicycle is a bicycle rider but not all bicycle riders are "riders"...there is a difference.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be you can Leave the Boots in the shop and at least feel light on your feet on the bike.. Don .

should be Sandal weather, there, now.. dont have to Be too hip, wear socks
    spare yourself sunburned tops of your feet.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast