Thread: Hand Pain

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand Pain

Got a question for you regarding a pain in the palm of my hand. I know there is a nerve running up thru the palm near the crease in the heel of the palm. Last few days it been tingling and I have to work my hand open/closed to get sensation back. I only have this problem with my left hand. It feels like I'm bearing more weight on my left hand, no problems with the right. I'm right handed. I've been riding w/o gloves but going to buy some soon. Kinda new to road biking, have about 350 miles the past 3 months under my belt.

Is this due to poor fit, is my seat crooked, am I leaning towards the left without realizing it? I'm not sure what the cure is?

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is your hand position? Is there pressure being applied between the base of your thumb and heel of your hand, or the area of your palm between your fingers and thumb? Does your bar offer the ability to change hand positions? What style of handlebars do you have? Do you rest your weight on the handlebars?

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda new to road biking, have about 350 miles the past 3 months under my belt.
    If you're new to road biking and also not used to the light weight of a road bike you might be gripping too tight...
    I had this issue when I switched from a mountain bike to a road bike. Every bump and the slightest wind gust
    would make me feel like I'm going to fling off the bike and so it was causing me to grip to tight.

As I got used to the bike it went away... I also went to K-Mart and bought a cheap pair of baseball batting gloves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely poor fit, but without seeing you on the bike I am not one to say. I use Spenco Ironman gloves, open fingers. They help my tingling I would get in my left hand but fitting the bike properly was the biggest thing I did all round. Seat position and stem height/length made me feel more comfortable, I took a lot of pressure off the hand and wrist by getting the seat and stem dialed in correctly. I hope you can solve the problem, best of luck.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the Spenco Ironman gloves. (Not to dismiss the other ideas).

Also you might try gels or even double gels under your bar tape.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    +1 for the Spenco Ironman gloves. (Not to dismiss the other ideas).

Also you might try gels or even double gels under your bar tape.
    Great tips! I use carpenter gloves from Home Depot. They are in the tool department--black with good palm padding, but not too much. $20.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterbird View Post
    ...Is this due to poor fit?
    This! Fits are kinda expensive, but they really work and mitigate pain "everywhere". Make sure you get your fit from a trained person and get the measurements afterward so that you can apply them to any other bike you use/purchase.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pain is in the heel of my hand where the big crease is when you grip. I ave drops but mostly favor the top or sides where the brakes/shifters are. I'm going back to the lbs to fine tune some more and try gloves.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterbird View Post
    ...I'm going back to the lbs to fine tune some more and try gloves.
    Good idea. Today ... I feel naked without gloves. Too many crashes as a teen, and when one goes down, the first thing to hit the ground is the palm of one's hand, instinctively to break the fall. Just last year, after getting half-way down the block at the start of a ride, "something" wasn't right! Something felt funny. Ah, no gloves. I turned right around and fetched them - and had a good ride.

p.s. Gloves with a terrycloth patch on the thumb work great for wiping sweat off one's forehead.

p.p.s. You will see/learn that most cyclist ride on the hoods. Sometimes on the top bar when on a climb. About the only time one rides in the drops is when descending or when wanting to "sprint" or make a maximum effort for some distance.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using a neutral ("handshake") grip when you're holing the drops, or hoods/bends? Or twisting your wrists towards the inside when holding the tops? That nerve is the ulnar nerve, and you could be experiencing ulnar nerve compression.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often people have some asymmetry such as one leg or arm being slightly but imperceptibly longer than the other or one side will be stronger than the other leading to favoring the stronger side. Often problems of discomfort seem to mostly vanish with more time in the saddle. In my case, hand discomfort has been diminished by a seat post with extra set-back as compared to the OEM seat post. You may be able to sort possible fit issues on your own over time but the recommendation is to pay for a pro fit.

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it is the ulnar nerve. I seem to be placing way too much weight on my left hand and the result is the tingling/slight numbness in the hand. I have to figure out what/why there is difference in hands, why this only happens to the left and not the right. I'm right handed also. Going to check out "grip postions" and see what I should be doing.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With me, it was harmonic vibration coming through the bars from the pavement surface. Ironman gloves and folding tires run below max pressure really helped a lot. Schwalbe Kojaks, in fact. bk

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after reading Nightshade's posting I think it the median nerve. The symptoms in the article are what I have. Going to mention this to the LBS.