Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel as if I turned a corner lately.

No I didn't ride a crit or anything like that, a corner in my cycling fitness. We had a mild winter here, (not going to rub that in to you in the plains, midwest and eastern seaboard,) so I didn't lose time and fitness to weather. The last few weeks I have noticed that my rides have gotten faster and our mole-hills don't bring a twinge of fear like they used to. Even the weeks of gusty winds we have had haven't stopped my riding or slowed me as much as it used to. I think that a base is beginning to be built, hopefully, it will become even better as the season gets in to full swing here. The bike fit and its set-up seem to be just in a groove for me, everything feels right on the bike while I am riding, regardless of if I am just spinning on a flat straight or climbing. Please don't wake me up if I am dreaming.

I cannot say thank you enough to all of the 50+ gang here, the encouragement and support have helped me to keep riding and to overcome the problems I have. I hope each of you can get this rare feeling, I know how low I have felt at times and how great things feel right now when I am riding. Now if the winter will just let go and the warm weather can set in so the season can begin in earnest.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW That is a great report Bill.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling, Bill. I hope it stays with you for a long time!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. It takes a long time to build to that base level of conditioning, and the good news is that it sticks around. Keep it up!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Domane 2.0, Trek 3500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear, it gives us newbies hope.
    I think I will be in your area for the 4th of July. Maybe we can get together for a ride? It's my birthday and I am thinking of trying to ride my age (52). I think our winter is still here. I did the 30 mile charity ride Saturday and froze for the first 5-10 miles.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it Bill. Now you have no excuse for not joining in on some of the rides down this way.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Bill! Doesnt it feel great to achieve a new level of fitness?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how the "science" of fitness works isn't it? I noticed the same thing but it is certainly more of an evolution than an immediate overnight change. It's not something you can "take a pill for" one night and wake up the next day with a step change in endurance, power, etc. On second thought maybe I should ask the Spanish doctor to see if there IS a pill. Seriously I prefer the tried and true method like you're doing.

I kept telling myself while I was suffering out riding in the winter and averaging 2-3 mph slower than I thought I should be averagaing I would be rewarded at some point. It's really great when you can see some advances here in there. Keep it going.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear, Bill, especially in light of things you've been through and things you still have to deal with. It's an inspiration to those of us not there yet. Thanks.

Dave
    Last edited by climberguy; 05-06-13 at 03:31 PM.
    And I did it all clean.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    It's not something you can "take a pill for" one night and wake up the next day with a step change in endurance, power, etc.
    Well now you tell us.

Many folks are finding their legs this time of year. It's a nice feeling, and great that Bill has found favor with the cycling gods. In a personal communication I had advised him to sacrifice a small goat. I bet that helped.

For me, I wonder if the 8 million dollars I've spent on Androgel is finally kicking in.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds awesome, Bill! Congrats on starting to see an improvement in your riding and hoping that you continue to improve from where you are at now.

Now, if only that would be my case. Since the doctor changed my leukemia medication, last month, I have been seeing my progress go in the other direction. The new med is causing some serious anemia that is causing me to breath harder with each ride. My 1.5 mile warmup distance is now around 6-8 miles and I still have problems getting my respirations under control, at times. And my legs are not getting enough oxygen since my red cell and hemoglobin counts are really low, and by the time I end a ride, my legs feel like cement blocks. That has never happened before, even on 100K+ rides. He changed the dosage, on Thursday, to a lower dose but the pharmacy screwed up and sent the wrong dosage, so now I don't start the new dosage until Wednesday. I'm hoping that I don't have to wait a month to see any improvements.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I think that a base is beginning to be built, hopefully, it will become even better as the season gets in to full swing here. The bike fit and its set-up seem to be just in a groove for me, everything feels right on the bike while I am riding, regardless of if I am just spinning on a flat straight or climbing. Please don't wake me up if I am dreaming. Bill
    Good training miles qcpmsame, it always pays off. Yes, it does take awhile to build the base, and there is no magic involved, but it is very rewarding when the plan comes together and what used to cause suffering is now easy! Congratulations!

Rick / OCRR

high above the pounding surf of Lake Erie
    My Bikes
    two seem to do
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great, Bill! I thought I've felt the same way recently, but after careful evaluation it's slightly different. For a while there I thought the fitness level was going up and yadda, yadda.

It turns out that it's just so much more pleasant cycling in the recent sunny, 70 degree weather than it was during the Winter here in Northern Ohio. I started cycling almost daily last November.... I never believed you folks that someday cycling would be a pleasant experience. I was almost convinced that cycling was supposed to be like riding out a storm while tied to the masthead!

Glad you're feeling your oats, fella'!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing that, Bill.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, no magic pill, sorry Dudel, it is simply mileage and diet. I was frightened so badly when I was diagnosed with the Renal Failure I just went in to things whole hawg, very strict diet and I ride every day it is possible. I guess that is a simple "Magic Pill", if you will.

John_V, I'm sorry your medication is not working for you, please be careful with yourself, that is pretty scarry. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, I will have you in my prayers for strength and healing, keep riding when it is safe to do so.

Bill

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill,
    Good to hear that you are making progress on both the health and fitness fronts. It's a great feeling when you see your moving averages bump up to new levels every now and then.

John,
    Here's hoping that the new meds will allow you to get back on track with your riding. Keep the leukemia at bay and stay well.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    (See sig block)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    For me, I wonder if the 8 million dollars I've spent on Androgel is finally kicking in.
    Sounds like a sack of dudel if ya ask me....
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider the corner turned! It seems like all spring has been fits and starts for me. I finally get into a groove, and then the weather, or work sets me back, and I feel like I'm starting all over again.

I had two months of prime summer riding taken away with illness last year. I really appreciate the encouragement you gave me through that rough time.

Like I say every year, this year it's gonna be different
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, one of the real pleasures of these forums is reading your posts, and even better when you can report such positive progress with your riding.

I and Machka hope that the improved cycling fitness translates into improve overall health.

I often think that the increased blood flow to our organs resulting from exercise helps increase the recovery and rebuilding process. Just make sure you get the rest you need.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How I missed this thread, I'm unsure. Good job Bill. You are an inspiration as are so many on this forum.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On form just in time for the Giro. Smart.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, thanks very much, the encouragement I receive here is what keeps me motivated to ride better and more. I added two more hills with a slight adjustment to my route this afternoon and didn't mind at all. I believe I may go riding tomorrow, too.

Bill

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love conquers all, but a good bike ride works wonders too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff Bill. Keep it up..
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear Bill. My mother, brother and sister all have kidney disease so I am aware of the effects on lifestyle. Funny how sickness encourages good health. Keep smiling!
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast