Thread: Vain

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vain

Yesterday I was a volunteer in our city marathon. They have cyclist, mainly bike club members ride the course with the runners to keep an eye out for any problems.

The track club, the sponsor had us peal out every so often so as to have cyclists spread out all thru the runners--all 10,000 of them.

Now to my point. I was waiting my turn with several other cyclist, and was talking to another older rider on his road bike. I pointed out that with my recumbent, I had a convenient seat to wait my turn on rather than standing. He rather pointedly said that he wouldnt want to be seen on a bent since he equated them with old people. When the subject turned to seats, he kept up the old DF lie that he has no pain what so ever. DF riders some how forget that bent riders all started out on DF bikes and we know that DF seats ARE NOT without pain at least part of the time.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that guy was experiencing a pain at that particular time.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh---------and one more thing, the guy was old grey and wrinkled. And he thinks a bent would make him look old??? I didnt see a bunch of cute young 20 year old swarming him!!!!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a lot of people, another's decision to do something different is a challenge to their decision to do otherwise. And from my experience, the ones that are the noisiest about it are the ones who are least confident they've made the right choice.

He doth protest too much, methinks.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    he equated them with old people
    I'd say he was right about this^ though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
    On BROL ('Bent Riders Online), there have been age polls and the distribution contains a lot younger people than I expected. Of course, I won't be old enough to post here for another 7 years...
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On BROL ('Bent Riders Online), there have been age polls and the distribution contains a lot younger people than I expected. Of course, I won't be old enough to post here for another 7 years...

That being said, I don't think I would have posted what

he kept up the old DF lie that he has no pain what so ever.
    Ummm... O.k.

I think recumbents are great.They are pretty much all I ride; I do find them more comfortable. I'll often suggest them for people who are having pain issues. In general, I tell people to ride whatever makes them smile.

If your goal was to convince people to sell all of their DF bikes and buy recumbent bikes, then this ain't the way to go about it. If your goal was to convince them, well, "something" about you, then I think you may have succeeded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    +1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post

First off, "contains a lot younger people than I expected" is hardly a dis-affirmation. Second, how about a link? I did search but couldn't find the poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was he astride a multi thousand dollar carbon frame dream machine?
    Perhaps he had to justfy his decision to himself.
    And if there is no pain, he isn't doing it long and\or hard enough.
    Last edited by leob1; 05-06-13 at 12:49 PM.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering my own experience with uprights, I find it very hard to believe that anybody can ride an upright completely pain-free. However, I CAN believe that the amount of discomfort they experience is well below the threshold that would make them consider switching. Which, the truth be told, is probably a large majority.

Enjoy your chair, but leave the preaching to the minister on Sunday morning.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, "contains a lot younger people than I expected" is hardly a dis-affirmation. Second, how about a link? I did search but couldn't find the poll.
    Busted.

I was being lazy and was too lazy to google it, but since you asked, here it is. Half under 55.

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I was a volunteer in our city marathon. They have cyclist, mainly bike club members ride the course with the runners to keep an eye out for any problems.

The track club, the sponsor had us peal out every so often so as to have cyclists spread out all thru the runners--all 10,000 of them.

Now to my point. I was waiting my turn with several other cyclist, and was talking to another older rider on his road bike. I pointed out that with my recumbent, I had a convenient seat to wait my turn on rather than standing. He rather pointedly said that he wouldnt want to be seen on a bent since he equated them with old people. When the subject turned to seats, he kept up the old DF lie that he has no pain what so ever. DF riders some how forget that bent riders all started out on DF bikes and we know that DF seats ARE NOT without pain at least part of the time.
    The "old DF lie..." I know from experience, a very long time ago, that if you have the wrong saddle, you will experience pain. However, there are so many different saddles on the market that unless you are on the tails of the bell curve of saddle fit, you should be able to find a comfortable saddle. As many days per year and miles per year that I ride, if I experienced saddle pain even just a few rides per year, I'd be doing something else.

Regarding your logic of "bent riders all started out on DF bikes," I'd say that generally, yes, if you had saddle pain that you couldn't resolve then of course you'd move to a recumbent. However, I think you're arguing that all riders of diamond frame bikes must experience saddle pain because all recumbent riders did (and that's why they switched to recumbent bikes).

Glad you enjoy your recumbent. I rode one once and it was interesting but definitely NOT something that I'd consider riding in the near future -- maybe in the distant future.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GO BI! BE A SWITCH-HITTER!

I'm glad I came out.

Just ride both.

Not at the same time, of course, although I'd pay good money to see someone do that.

I use my anachronistic piece of plastic Tool of Satan (a LeMond) for rides with my daughter or for jaunts of an hour or so.

I use my mechanical dorkastic behemoth (Bacchetta) for longer rides when I don't want to worry about neck, shoulder, hand, and bum pain.

I enjoy riding both. I admit getting the LeMond on the bike rack is way easier.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda reminds me of the snowboard/skier rivalry.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL you dis the guy because he is on a standard bike and expect sunshine and lollipops in response? Sheesh grow up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    LOL you dis the guy because he is on a standard bike and expect sunshine and lollipops in response? Sheesh grow up.
    I agree. I'm a bent rider but the reverse snobbery of my kin sometimes saddens me.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    Busted.

I was being lazy and was too lazy to google it, but since you asked, here it is. Half under 55.
    Thanks for "owning up". Also to note: only 10% under 40.

BTW: I did check-out and enjoy your blog.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Man's EGO can be a horrible monster. I saw a ton of BENTS on the River Mountain Loop around Lake Mead over the weekend. Many were older riders, not all. I like the streamers and flags they fly from their seats.

"Pride goeth before a fall, a haughty spirit................something like that. It bet he was clipped in, that always makes me fall.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a few bents on the TdC:Hampton Roads and genuinely stated "Nice bent."
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At age 80 and with 300,000+ miles in the saddle I have not yet suffered seat pain while riding DF, and that includes well over 100 centuries and a half dozen double centuries.
    I've never belittled any bike riders (DF, bent, unicycles, tandemists, etc) and am not vain!
    Perhaps get yourself a trike, then you can stay seated and don't have to put your feet down at all?!

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the only cycle that doesn't cause me pain, is my motorcycle... Otherwise, it is just a question of what will start hurting first. I guess the goal is to have my legs give out, but honestly, I like to have some kind of early warning before my legs cramp up, and I have to call the meat wagon to haul me home.

But I am definitely considering a bent, when they pave the road in front of us, till then, I will make due with a hardtail...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago I did a trip averaging over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days without any major discomfort on my DF. Sure my butt got tired, but it would have also been tired sitting in my desk chair that long every day!

However, I have several friends that ride bents. I take them going uphill and they pass me going down. In call it a wash. One is not better than the other, just different. I had a chance to test ride several recumbents at the Portland Bike Show last month, but I suppressed the urge. I was afraid I might like it

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind 'bents and the riders, they are my brother and sister cyclist, it is the ones that use the same old crap blanket statement about every single DF rider being in pain, it is not true, that is a lie, plain and simple. I have no pain what so ever on my bike regardless of the distance covered. Vain is trying to say your way is the only way. Every neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon that has worked on my injured back has told me a 'Bent was not the bike for me to ride. That position is the worst thing for my bone grafts and hardware and it causes me pain.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast