User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride Report with Photos: Wine Country Century

I rode the Wine Country Century last weekend with my daughter (who flew out from Kansas City). My wife rode the 35-mile route, having recovered from her recent crash.

Had a great time, and my training paid off. The weather was perfect -- much hotter than I am used to, but OK with the breeze. The scenery was a combination of forests and vineyards.

My daughter held me back a bit at the beginning, but if I'd gone faster I would have suffered more at the end.

I learned that my bike shorts' fabric has worn away in the back such that it is essentially transparent -- something you don't know unless you ride with someone you know.

My daughter told me I'd be the only one without low-rise socks, and she was right.

We got off course at one point, resulting in a shortcut, then did a "penalty lap" so we'd still come out to 100 miles. However, then we got off course again and added a few miles, so we ended up with a total of 102.

This slideshow should give you a good feeling for the ride:

My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great ride, Al. nice slide show,and good job!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. What a great, great way to spend time with your daughter. And you both looked like you were really enjoying the day. Hopefully one or both of my "runner girls" will take up riding one of these days. If they do I doubt I'll be able to stay with them on the hills!
    Ride your Ride!!

Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks wonderful! I had a family wedding to attend last weekend though, so all I got to do was watch enviously as I drove past you all on my way out of town.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I learned that my bike shorts' fabric has worn away in the back such that it is essentially transparent -- something you don't know unless you ride with someone you know.
    Lol ... I've had that experience too!

"Listen, Vic ... you know those cheap shorts you're bought? Well, when the light's just right ...".

Sweet beyond measure to spend the day spinning in the countryside with your little girl.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Lol ... I've had that experience too!

"Listen, Vic ... you know those cheap shorts you're bought? Well, when the light's just right ...".
    I heard that as well.. but they were PI bibs that were 2-3 years old. I save those for solo rides now

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay TromboneAl, I want to know who's taking the pic of you and your daughter while you are both riding. Is it a remote setup?
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How come you didn't wave at the recumbent riders?

j/k

Nice video, but I would have used different music. Something from Mahler, perhaps.

Your daughter is very pretty. I have three daughters and I can't see them enough.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am relieved and disappointed that we got no closeups of your shorts-situation-documentation. I bet that's the last time you buy your shorts from Lululemon!

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    I am relieved and disappointed that we got no closeups of your shorts-situation-documentation.

Nice video, Al. It looks like an enjoyable ride.

I like the music. I suspect it is the musical stylings of the OP himself, based on the soundtracks of your "Christmas cards." It reminds me of Vince Guaraldi!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice ride, glad to read your wife is healed up and riding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing better than father/daughter time (father of two). Looks like a nice ride and a good time was had by all. Your daughter has a great smile Al.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great vid and report Al. Seems like the cycling runs in your family, I am glad to read that your wife had recovered enough to ride the 30 mile route, too.

Bill

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, looked like fun.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video short. thanks for sharing.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Okay TromboneAl, I want to know who's taking the pic of you and your daughter while you are both riding. Is it a remote setup?
    Yes, it's an automated setup, and it's very slick. I've never purchased the official photos in the past, but the pictures with my daughter were priceless. Well, $15 each, but you get the idea.

Totally computerized, though I figure there was a person in the truck to make sure no one stole the equipment. There are fill-in flashes, and, apparently multiple, very good quality cameras.

The outfit is PhotoCrazy.com. Also interesting is that they don't try to sell you coffee mugs, and posters, and wallet photos. You just pay, and instantly get the image file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 05-08-13 at 06:41 PM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    70's Raleigh Sports, 70's Peugeot UO8 (2), '12 Specialized Secteur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it was 102.1 miles.

I did some riding with a club here in Sactown that was there for the 4th or 5th year. I had planned on making the trip but wasn't able to train enough but will put it on my radar for next year.

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of my riding buds are in the lunch stop video .... fun ride ........

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's an automated setup, and it's very slick. I've never purchased the official photos in the past, but the pictures with my daughter were priceless. Well, $15 each, but you get the idea.

Totally computerized, though I figure there was a person in the truck to make sure no one stole the equipment. There are fill-in flashes, and, apparently multiple, very good quality cameras.

The outfit is PhotoCrazy.com. Also interesting is that they don't try to sell you coffee mugs, and posters, and wallet photos. You just pay, and instantly get the image file.
    I could tell it was fill-in flash and likely a add-on flash, not a flip-up or built-into-the-camera flash. After someone pointed out the trip cable, the black line/cable on the road, I figured that it was a remote set-up. I'm absolutely sure you're right about someone guarding the camera.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the Wine Country Century last weekend with my daughter (who flew out from Kansas City). My wife rode the 35-mile route, having recovered from her recent crash.

Had a great time, and my training paid off. The weather was perfect -- much hotter than I am used to, but OK with the breeze. The scenery was a combination of forests and vineyards.

My daughter held me back a bit at the beginning, but if I'd gone faster I would have suffered more at the end.

My daughter told me I'd be the only one without low-rise socks, and she was right.

We got off course at one point, resulting in a shortcut, then did a "penalty lap" so we'd still come out to 100 miles. However, then we got off course again and added a few miles, so we ended up with a total of 102.
    T-Al, glad the crash is in the past, and everyone is back in the saddle!

My Bikes
    too many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I watched the video before reading your text, and I thought to myself, "What a cute couple they are." Oops. But you are.

I wish my adult daughters were willing to ride centuries with me. Maybe one day.
    Please email me rather than sending me a private message. My address is noglider@pobox.com

Tom Reingold
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Employer: Larry's Freewheeling, 301 W 110 St, New York, NY 10026
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that side of the hill, Santa Rosa, Sonoma County , my old home town Is Napa.