Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member TromboneAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far, Far Northern California
    My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Posts
    2,868
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ride Report with Photos: Wine Country Century

    I rode the Wine Country Century last weekend with my daughter (who flew out from Kansas City). My wife rode the 35-mile route, having recovered from her recent crash.

    Had a great time, and my training paid off. The weather was perfect -- much hotter than I am used to, but OK with the breeze. The scenery was a combination of forests and vineyards.

    My daughter held me back a bit at the beginning, but if I'd gone faster I would have suffered more at the end.

    I learned that my bike shorts' fabric has worn away in the back such that it is essentially transparent -- something you don't know unless you ride with someone you know.

    My daughter told me I'd be the only one without low-rise socks, and she was right.

    We got off course at one point, resulting in a shortcut, then did a "penalty lap" so we'd still come out to 100 miles. However, then we got off course again and added a few miles, so we ended up with a total of 102.

    This slideshow should give you a good feeling for the ride:

    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

  2. #2
    Senior Member az_cyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great ride, Al. nice slide show,and good job!

  3. #3
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,267
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. What a great, great way to spend time with your daughter. And you both looked like you were really enjoying the day. Hopefully one or both of my "runner girls" will take up riding one of these days. If they do I doubt I'll be able to stay with them on the hills!
    Ride your Ride!!

  4. #4
    Dread Pirate Aerobeard RaleighSport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    STS
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Tempo, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Posts
    6,299
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks wonderful! I had a family wedding to attend last weekend though, so all I got to do was watch enviously as I drove past you all on my way out of town.
    (Insert your favorite quote here)

  5. #5
    Seat Sniffer Biker395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    2,912
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I learned that my bike shorts' fabric has worn away in the back such that it is essentially transparent -- something you don't know unless you ride with someone you know.
    Lol ... I've had that experience too!

    "Listen, Vic ... you know those cheap shorts you're bought? Well, when the light's just right ...".

    Sweet beyond measure to spend the day spinning in the countryside with your little girl.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member az_cyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,826
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Lol ... I've had that experience too!

    "Listen, Vic ... you know those cheap shorts you're bought? Well, when the light's just right ...".
    I heard that as well.. but they were PI bibs that were 2-3 years old. I save those for solo rides now

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay TromboneAl, I want to know who's taking the pic of you and your daughter while you are both riding. Is it a remote setup?
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  8. #8
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,322
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How come you didn't wave at the recumbent riders?

    j/k

    Nice video, but I would have used different music. Something from Mahler, perhaps.

    Your daughter is very pretty. I have three daughters and I can't see them enough.
    Signature line for rent.

  9. #9
    Senior Member David Bierbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Louis Metro East area
    My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Posts
    1,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am relieved and disappointed that we got no closeups of your shorts-situation-documentation. I bet that's the last time you buy your shorts from Lululemon!

  10. #10
    Senior Member miss kenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Blueberry Capital of the WORLD, NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Posts
    2,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    I am relieved and disappointed that we got no closeups of your shorts-situation-documentation.


    Nice video, Al. It looks like an enjoyable ride.

    I like the music. I suspect it is the musical stylings of the OP himself, based on the soundtracks of your "Christmas cards." It reminds me of Vince Guaraldi!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Garden State exit 135
    Posts
    384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice ride, glad to read your wife is healed up and riding.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,207
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing better than father/daughter time (father of two). Looks like a nice ride and a good time was had by all. Your daughter has a great smile Al.

  13. #13
    USMC Veteran qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    7,721
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great vid and report Al. Seems like the cycling runs in your family, I am glad to read that your wife had recovered enough to ride the 30 mile route, too.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

    "We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Murray Ky
    My Bikes
    Specialized
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, looked like fun.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video short. thanks for sharing.

  16. #16
    Senior Member TromboneAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Far, Far Northern California
    My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Posts
    2,868
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Okay TromboneAl, I want to know who's taking the pic of you and your daughter while you are both riding. Is it a remote setup?
    Yes, it's an automated setup, and it's very slick. I've never purchased the official photos in the past, but the pictures with my daughter were priceless. Well, $15 each, but you get the idea.

    Totally computerized, though I figure there was a person in the truck to make sure no one stole the equipment. There are fill-in flashes, and, apparently multiple, very good quality cameras.



    The outfit is PhotoCrazy.com. Also interesting is that they don't try to sell you coffee mugs, and posters, and wallet photos. You just pay, and instantly get the image file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 05-08-13 at 06:41 PM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

  17. #17
    Senior Member campngolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it was 102.1 miles.

    I did some riding with a club here in Sactown that was there for the 4th or 5th year. I had planned on making the trip but wasn't able to train enough but will put it on my radar for next year.

  18. #18
    Senior Member metalheart44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, NorCal
    My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of my riding buds are in the lunch stop video .... fun ride ........

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Yes, it's an automated setup, and it's very slick. I've never purchased the official photos in the past, but the pictures with my daughter were priceless. Well, $15 each, but you get the idea.

    Totally computerized, though I figure there was a person in the truck to make sure no one stole the equipment. There are fill-in flashes, and, apparently multiple, very good quality cameras.



    The outfit is PhotoCrazy.com. Also interesting is that they don't try to sell you coffee mugs, and posters, and wallet photos. You just pay, and instantly get the image file.
    I could tell it was fill-in flash and likely a add-on flash, not a flip-up or built-into-the-camera flash. After someone pointed out the trip cable, the black line/cable on the road, I figured that it was a remote set-up. I'm absolutely sure you're right about someone guarding the camera.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  20. #20
    Junior Member HFWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I rode the Wine Country Century last weekend with my daughter (who flew out from Kansas City). My wife rode the 35-mile route, having recovered from her recent crash.

    Had a great time, and my training paid off. The weather was perfect -- much hotter than I am used to, but OK with the breeze. The scenery was a combination of forests and vineyards.

    My daughter held me back a bit at the beginning, but if I'd gone faster I would have suffered more at the end.

    I learned that my bike shorts' fabric has worn away in the back such that it is essentially transparent -- something you don't know unless you ride with someone you know.

    My daughter told me I'd be the only one without low-rise socks, and she was right.

    We got off course at one point, resulting in a shortcut, then did a "penalty lap" so we'd still come out to 100 miles. However, then we got off course again and added a few miles, so we ended up with a total of 102.
    T-Al, glad the crash is in the past, and everyone is back in the saddle!

  21. #21
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    22,839
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I watched the video before reading your text, and I thought to myself, "What a cute couple they are." Oops. But you are.

    I wish my adult daughters were willing to ride centuries with me. Maybe one day.
    I have made this longer than usual because I have not had time to make it shorter. --Blaise Pascal

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  22. #22
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,556
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that side of the hill, Santa Rosa, Sonoma County , my old home town Is Napa.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •