Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd Time Trial of 2013 Season

We had our 2nd of a series of 6 Time Trials at Charlotte Motor Speedway tonight. I improved about 20 seconds over the first event. My time tonight was 24:03 for about an average of 25 mph over the 10 miles. Still way off my PR of 22:51 but hopefully I can at least get back down into the mid 23 minute range.

Weather was agreeable--high 60's with probably less wind than normal. We had about 250 riders sign up for this one.

I'm not riding "as hard" as I used to. My average HR during my best times was around 175 and tonight it was probably about 167. Just a matter of making the effort.......how much "pain" are you willing to endure.

While I'm not heading up the events like I did the last several years I still pitch in and assist where there is a need. It's nice not being on my feet for 5 hours prior to trying to ride. It's also nice also getting a legitimate warmup as opposed to the 5 to 10 minute "fake" warmups I was doing before riding the last several years. It really makes a difference in the performance.......

These are a great way for me to help gauge where I am with my overall fitness. Hopefully some of you have similar TT events where you can participate near where you live.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you on a TT bike with deep wheels? Do you wear an aero helmet? Shoe covers?
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Are you on a TT bike with deep wheels? Do you wear an aero helmet? Shoe covers?

Cervelo P2C--TT bike shaves about 60 seconds off my time over a road bike with clip-on bars.
    HED 3 spoke Carbon front wheel and a Renn solid disk rear wheel-Wheels shave another minute off my time.
    I wear aero shoe covers and one of the latest Giro Aero helmets but I'm thinking they are more for show......and disguising how old I really am.

I think I saw where I finished 3rd in this event and 4th in the first one. I doubt I can improve enough to wage a battle with the first two riders in my age group but the rider that finished 3rd in the first event and I are pretty comparable.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, still trying to figure out how to get to the other coast so that I can race at Charlotte Motor Speedway or Lowes or whatever it's called these days. I'd like to figure out how to set up something like this at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.

Also you are doing very well. Any time you can average 25 MPH or faster at our age it's a good thing.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

My Bikes
    1979 schwinn varsity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are an animal species known as a hammerdog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my overall time, average speed and lap times. You have to chuckle at my last lap. It shows I was riding easier than what I needed to have been riding if I were really serious about getting the fastest overall time. It's okay to have a negative split on your last lap but 15 seconds over lap 6 is a pretty poor strategy. Laps 5 & 6 are always a challenge to keep the same pace as 1-4. Lap 1 is all about not going out too hard.

But frankly I wasn't interested in suffering that much through the first 6 laps. I'm riding slower and enjoying it more. Imagine that.......

24:03.9 24.9mph 3:25.6 3:27.4 3:26.1 3:27.2 3:26.9 3:32.7 3:17.7
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Here is my overall time, average speed and lap times. You have to chuckle at my last lap. It shows I was riding easier than what I needed to have been riding if I were really serious about getting the fastest overall time. It's okay to have a negative split on your last lap but 15 seconds over lap 6 is a pretty poor strategy. Laps 5 & 6 are always a challenge to keep the same pace as 1-4. Lap 1 is all about not going out too hard.

But frankly I wasn't interested in suffering that much through the first 6 laps. I'm riding slower and enjoying it more. Imagine that.......

24:03.9 24.9mph 3:25.6 3:27.4 3:26.1 3:27.2 3:26.9 3:32.7 3:17.7
    Isn't the last lap shorter due to finishing on pit road?
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Isn't the last lap shorter due to finishing on pit road?
    It is a touch shorter but not that much really....maybe 1 second vs my 15!! We measured it a while back when we setup the track for the 10 miler and the 40k's and it surprised us at how there was hardly any difference in doing a "wider" ride around the track for the 40k's (probably a 20 ft wider radius). It was a tad shorter finishing on pit road than the main track but not as much as you might think.

But we still DQ riders who complete their last lap on the main track vs Pit Road because they didn't follow the rules!!!
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very decent time. Can't match it, though I don't have a TT bike. Any 24 minute ten is a good ride, in my book.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Very decent time. Can't match it, though I don't have a TT bike. Any 24 minute ten is a good ride, in my book.
    Thanks. I need to get back in the low 23's which would be some good times for me. I think my PR is 22:51. I have been training for longer centuries and have not done as much higher HR workouts to get back to that level.
    Last edited by jppe; 05-10-13 at 12:51 PM.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on that. I'm trying to get there, tough going.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    Hi, still trying to figure out how to get to the other coast so that I can race at Charlotte Motor Speedway or Lowes or whatever it's called these days. I'd like to figure out how to set up something like this at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.
    Would love to have you join in on one of the 4 remaining dates. Also if you get serious and need some "consulting" on the details around our TT series I'd be happy to provide details. It really helps to get an event started if the track management has an interest in cycling!
    Ride your Ride!!

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, Chasm has that right, I live to get to something in the 30 minute range. Well done Joe, great TT report.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.