User Tag List

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldest Are Fastest

Recently rode in a 42 mile fondo and although I finished a disappointing 7th out of 9 riders in above 65 age group, 8 of us finished in the top half of riders (87 in all) in all age groups. Seems this age group may be the most competitive of all. I need to drop down in age.
    The trick to life is to keep moving.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in my running days I used to look forward to moving up to an easier age class. WRONG! As you get older all of the also rans drop out and the only guys left running are the people who were winning all the races when they were in their 20's.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Back in my running days I used to look forward to moving up to an easier age class. WRONG! As you get older all of the also rans drop out and the only guys left running are the people who were winning all the races when they were in their 20's.
    Interesting point, but that is definately believable.

Although I don't officially race I do a lot of event/charity rides and the group I ride with kinda has the motto "if you have a number on your back it is a race" We have fun with it but work hard and raise a lot of eyebrows. Comments such as "look at those grandpas". It is not unusual for us to finish a ride of any length in the top group or just behind. Did a ride this weekend with 1,000 riders and only 10 riders "beat us" to the end. Two of those ten were younger riders from our group that jumped ahead. We purposely started at the back of the pack of 1,000 riders to see if we could pass them all. I'll admit that the majority of riders for this particular event were more casual, but it's still fun.

Depending on who is there, at least three or more in our group are 50+ with two being 65+ and one 75+ (both of the older gents have previously raced in the senior olympics, one nationally). Group size is usually 4-6 but sometimes larger or we'll jump in with some other riders in an event, but not always.

Oh yeah, I forgot, it is not a race As long as we have fun doing it we will but I will admit sometimes I just ride to enjoy/finish and not really push it.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwc5830 View Post
    Did a ride this weekend with 1,000 riders and only 10 riders "beat us" to the end. Two of those ten were younger riders from our group that jumped ahead. We purposely started at the back of the pack of 1,000 riders to see if we could pass them all.
    I do this too. When I run out of people to pass, it either means it's lunch time or I'm near the end. In the case of lunch, the solution to my 'problem' is to pull over and let them all back in front of me so I can pass them again. If I'm at the end of the ride, well, I'll just have to suffer through it!

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank,
    My outlook on this is that you rode the Fondo, you finished, and pretty well at that, well done, sir. Therefore by my criteria you won, the others had their race at the same time. And yes I think you are correct about the older age group riders being more competitive. That is the way it is here in NW Florida, at least. Congrats on you Fondo and just enjoy the rides, improvement will come with miles and years, it has for me so far.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Frank,
    My outlook on this is that you rode the Fondo, you finished, and pretty well at that, well done, sir. Therefore by my criteria you won, the others had their race at the same time. And yes I think you are correct about the older age group riders being more competitive. That is the way it is here in NW Florida, at least. Congrats on you Fondo and just enjoy the rides, improvement will come with miles and years, it has for me so far.

Bill
    The event was a qualifier for an event in Italy. All nine of us qualified although I don't understand how. Group 65 and over ran the shorter 42 miler while younger groups had to run the 75 mile route to qualify. Since it was the only qualifier in the states maybe they figured, and rightly so, most would not make the trip and they needed representation. Still it's very tempting. Who in his right mind wouldn't like to ride the hills of northern Italy.
    The trick to life is to keep moving.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is super to hear, Frank, I look forward to a report about Italy, that would be so neat to do. I watch the Giro each year and the course is so beautiful and challenging. Someday, maybe someday.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should do it. If not now, when?
    1886 Surrey machinists Invincible, 1900 Nashua, 1937 Raleigh Golden Arrow, 1938 Raleigh Silver Record, 1951 Armstrong tourmalet, 1970 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Professional, 1971 Gitane TDF, 1972 Legnano Gran Primio, 1973, Peugeot PX-10, 1975 Roberts, 1984 Battaglin Giro, 1985 Grandis Speciale, 2012 FTW

frankthewelder@comcast.net

le prix s'oublie,la qualité reste ,(michel audiard)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so glad that you reported this.

While checking my Strava times I noticed that I was doing OK in most segments. But when comparing times with people in my own age group (I am 57) I would invariably come in at the bottom 1/3.

Initially I thought that Strava was misreporting times. Then I wondered if some senior citizens were manipulating their times to appear to be going faster than in reality.

Now I know the truth...there are some freaking fast riders in my age group (myself excluded).

WOW...who would've known that age makes you faster.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like someone has been watching reruns of Cocoon lately.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Sounds like someone has been watching reruns of Cocoon lately.
    Nicely played! I watch Cocoon for one reason only: Raquel Welch's daughter!
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)