User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe, Electra Townies, Gary Fisher Mtn bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah HA! This is where the cool people hang out.

Hey All... I posted in the Introduction area... and someone suggested I check out the 50+ section! What the heck!! You young wipersnapper! Then checked it out and find that - yes, this is better, Nice to be among the wise

Just spent an hour or two reading forums... Just too many interesting people to not join!
    54 years old, live in Northern Colorado and am advancing back into biking the past year. Ready to pull the trigger on a my first road bike since my Schwinn Varsity back in high school. Damn that was a *****en bike!
    Hip and knee finally said no more basketball so got into biking with my wife last year on Townies... lots of fun but once we were riding 20 miles at a time, got tired of the 'fun' bike. Went to a specialized globe... first 700 tire bike, love it... but now it's time for the next step. I think I'll always ride the Townie though...it's been a blessing for the wife and I as the kids have left the nest.
    So I am a newbie to your world... for now!
    Looking at a near new Specialized Sequoia Elite on C/L in a 56.
    I'm 6', 220 lb, 32 inch inseem. My Globe Sport is a 55 and a hair short.
    When I go ride it Sunday, what would tell me if it's too short or tall?
    Also - not to offend, cuz I've been reading your sarcastic and hilarious responses on these forums... but Can I go roadie without going full spandex? A little fear of 'clipping in' to the peddles too. Tried it on my mountain bike 5 years ago and ate dirt a couple of times.

I don't want to make the grandkids laugh.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2008 Globe.
    Put on skinny tires and a "road" cassette and you have a different bike!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

No set rules on size for a height so it's a bit of suck and see.

Can't compare Manufacturers on sizing so the the globe at 55 and the Sequoia at 56 are nothing to go by either. But one good way is on adjusting the saddle. Can you get it to the suggested "KOPS" measurement? First of all set the saddle height so that there is just a bit of bend in the knee with the crank at it's lowest point. May not be what you are used to but this is the height that is efficient for most. Then "For and Aft" on the saddle. With the height right then "For and Aft" position of the saddle with the cranks parallel to the ground- then the knee should be vertically above the centre of the forward pedal axle. Bit basic I know and someone will probably post a link for the set up of a bike using "KOPS" but if you can get into this region on saddle position for the legs then you are in the right ball park.

Next stage is height and stretch to the bars. Main thing is comfort here but as this is your first road bike it may seem strange. Once again there are systems to set up efficiently and hopefully someone will post a more definite set up for the bars. In general most "NEW" roadies have the top of the bars level with the saddle. Some have them lower and some higher so no hard rules here. Stretch is a different matter and lots of suggestions will be made. Other than comfort (Which will alter as you adjust to the bike) I do it visually on the bike. Hand on the top of the bars and the angle of the torso and the arms should be around 90 degrees and looking the top of the bars- the front wheel hub should be obscured.

These are only guides but the saddle position is the main one to get near right. The bar length and height are more YOU critical for comfort but are easily adjusted with a better fitting stem.

Bike fit is important but there is a problem with your First road bike. All it is there for is to tell you what your second bike is going to be. You may be lucky in that in a years time the bike will fit perfectly- the components will be exactly what you want and it will be the ideal bike for riding with the local racing club on their 50 mile rides--at 25 mph--up mountains Or whatever type of riding you want to get into but One of the things that happens in N+1. You may not need a new bike in a years time but "Want" will overtake everything else.

Good luck
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzy3 View Post
    Hey All... I posted in the Introduction area... and someone suggested I check out the 50+ section! What the heck!! You young wipersnapper! Then checked it out and find that - yes, this is better, Nice to be among the wise

Just spent an hour or two reading forums... Just too many interesting people to not join!
    54 years old, live in Northern Colorado and am advancing back into biking the past year. Ready to pull the trigger on a my first road bike since my Schwinn Varsity back in high school. Damn that was a *****en bike!
    Hip and knee finally said no more basketball so got into biking with my wife last year on Townies... lots of fun but once we were riding 20 miles at a time, got tired of the 'fun' bike. Went to a specialized globe... first 700 tire bike, love it... but now it's time for the next step. I think I'll always ride the Townie though...it's been a blessing for the wife and I as the kids have left the nest.
    So I am a newbie to your world... for now!
    Looking at a near new Specialized Sequoia Elite on C/L in a 56.
    I'm 6', 220 lb, 32 inch inseem. My Globe Sport is a 55 and a hair short.
    When I go ride it Sunday, what would tell me if it's too short or tall?
    Also - not to offend, cuz I've been reading your sarcastic and hilarious responses on these forums... but Can I go roadie without going full spandex? A little fear of 'clipping in' to the peddles too. Tried it on my mountain bike 5 years ago and ate dirt a couple of times.

I don't want to make the grandkids laugh.
    No spandex or clipping in for this 57 year old! Use what you are comfortable with and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. I tried the clipless for a few months last year and fell three times in about two months, after riding my entire life without ever falling. Off they came,and I'm a lot more comfortable and confident on the bike. Gandkids won't dare laugh at you, especially after you whip them in a 25 miler. I ride like this most of the time:

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will agree that "Spandex" is not needed to ride but proper gear will make things a bit more comfortable. Pedals and clipless are not a necessity. Same with clips and straps but a pedal with some form of pins to hold a foot in place are better than plastic no-name "nasties". Cycling specific shorts and jerseys are made for comfort on a bike but are not required. However the liner in shorts helps greatly on sweat and comfort control but Cycling inner pants are available and work and the jerseys are made of a wicking material to wick moisture away. Unless you are in a "Hot" area- cotton is out as it retains moisture. Another good suggestion is cycling gloves with padding and Helmets in my opinion are a must but not compulsory.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm the "young whippersnapper" that welcomed you and suggested you come to the 50+ , I have a whole 2 years on you, too. Good to have you here, wear what ever you like, the full spectrum of clothing for cycling is around the place, somewhere, we just have to remember where we put it. The members here are a pretty great group, I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. Regardless of what you wear and what bike you ride you will be welcome here.

Oh, and about the grand-kids laughing, that one will happen regardless of the other things you mentioned, we cannot help you there, we are too busy getting laughed at by them or the young ladies we try to impress at the stop light as we fail to unclip and to a Club Tombay fall entry.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-10-13 at 05:53 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Join us at the bike store and get your bib shorts. Soon you'll be mowing your yard in them because you know the ladies appreciate your fine vintage body.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Gizzy3. If you've spent a few hours, as you've said, reading through some of the fourms, you have a feel for the difference here. Generally, it is not a chest-thumping place. People are, in my view, more respectful and thoughtful here. So, jump in and keep us posted on your bike buying progress.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Lake Wobe50+.... Where all the children are above average and expertise is ubiquitous..

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome

Fellow Coloradan here, in Parker. You have a few nice trails in the Ft Collins/Greeley area.

At 73.5 yo, I wear what I like when I want, which includes full Spandex, partial Spandex, shorts, levis and atheltic nylons. I have one bike (roadie) with clipless, one with toe clips (roadie) and one with platforms (mtn bike).

Today I am going full bore with a Ride the Rockies jersey and black and blue striped bibs and clipless bicycling sandals with bicycle socks, full finger gloves. However, given the temp, I will add arm warmers, possibly leg warmers, and a long-sleeved jersey with hood plus a windbreaker to start out. No one laughs at me, at least that I notice. And I wouldn't care, anyways!

I carry a very small Kiva foldup bag that I unfold to hold my stuff as the day warms up.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-10-13 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the clubhouse. Here, you can ride what makes ya happy, and wear what makes ya feel good.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have the Sequoia that I bought several years ago, and after a number of upgrades it's the favorite of my two road bikes since it is versatile and not fussy at all. Mine came with the lowest-end Shimano components that I upgraded to 105, which was a real improvement. A Brooks saddle (very subjective choice) and a rear rack are the other additions, allowing me to use it for multi-day road riding events -- what I call "light touring".

The other significant change is the tires. I've found that going to a 700x28 tire really improves the ride (I have Continental Gatorskins at present). I also had 700x32 tires on it for a while that I really liked, but the particular ones I had were flat-prone. BTW, 700x32 just barely fit the frame, but I did have to look for some new brake calipers as the stock calipers would not open wide enough to get the wheels off and on unless they were deflated!

My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Lynx MTB bought new. Her name is Judy.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not cool, but i am old. decrepit, too.
    first star on the right and straight on 'til morning

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I go roadie without going full spandex? A little fear of 'clipping in' to the peddles too.
    No problem with either one. You're over 50 now. Do whatever you want. If anybody makes a nasty remark - tell 'em to get off your lawn.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For someone who should love technology and the latest new thing, I am an avowed luddite. So when I started cycling some 25 years ago, I started with short pants and a T-shirt.

And it was fine.

Then, someone talked me into doing a week long tour ... Cycle Oregon. For that, I figured I'd better see if cycling specific shorts and shoes were worthwhile. I got two pair (the cheapest I could find), and touring shoes ... kinda halfway stiff. Jerseys? What for? I stuck with the t-shirts.

And it was fine.

But I noticed that the cycling shorts were actually more comfortable. No seams, no folded material. Not night and day, but better for a long ride. They also prevented chafing between my leg and the seat. The cycling shoes? No brainer ... definitely superior. Years later, I noticed that the local Performance shop had some bike jerseys on sale for $20. Awful extravagant, I thought. But I decided to give them a try.

And it was fine.

I liked the pockets, liked that they didn't flap in the wind, and liked the bright colors. Actually, I still have those jerseys and I still wear them! Then, I decided to do Breathless Agony ... a ride where you have to earn the jersey. I managed to complete the ride, so there was no way I was going to turn that down ... even if it was $70 or so.

And it was fine.

The rest of the stuff (leg warmers, arm warmers, base layers, clipped pedals and shoes) ... also sampled with a wary eye and some trepidation. For the most part, there were good reasons that all of them were useful.

And that's where I sit today ... slowly pulled into the world of bright colors and spandex. God help me, my viewpoint of this stuff has undeniably evolved, because I no longer think cyclists look ridiculous in spandex. Well ... most of us, anyway.

You can go ahead and evolve as I did, or jump in with both feet. Either way, you'll end up in the same place.

And it will be fine.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    56 sounds like a reasonable sized frame for your height and leg length. I'm a tad taller with 2" longer legs and ride a 58----but could fit on some folks 56's.

Like many others I started back exactly like you---even a little heavier. I started with riding padded "underwear" under some sports shorts and platform pedals to begin with. However after about 10 years and a few thousand miles I've come to appreciate spandex, clipless pedals etc. Just a matter of what you prefer.

I'll be out your way in a few weeks doing Ride the Rockies. This will be my 4th year of riding in Colorado. What area do you live in? Just wondering if I've ridden through it doing RtR or Bicycle Tour of Colorado. Looks like this year we will not be heading towards the northern part of the state. I really enjoy riding in Colorado.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I'll be out your way in a few weeks doing Ride the Rockies. This will be my 4th year of riding in Colorado. What area do you live in? Just wondering if I've ridden through it doing RtR or Bicycle Tour of Colorado. Looks like this year we will not be heading towards the northern part of the state. I really enjoy riding in Colorado.
    RtR has been on my list for years. One of these days ...
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several friends that have ridden Bicycle Tour of Colorado (2 of which now live in Parker CO). I have been interested in it as well

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been passed by Old farts and Young Tarts,

I've passed Old farts and Young Tarts,

On the road and In the Dirt,

Going Up and Down Hills on the road and In the dirt.

Spin them pedals boys n girls, Spin and spin and spin.

My Point ? Ha ! Gotcha !

I'm going for a ride in the dirt.
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post

Join us at the bike store and get your bib shorts. Soon you'll be mowing your yard in them because you know the ladies appreciate your fine vintage body.
    Hey Gizzy3, you might have already noticed the weird or different ones in the 50+ already. ^^^^ some people call it eccentric. Ummm, his username starts with a "D"

But that's OK, I can identify with that type myself. I'm still looking for that great chupacabra in the sky...

Anyway, welcome to the forum this is "the place" to be, we have fun most of the time and enjoy acting our age the rest of the time. As long as you ride your bike and have fun that's OK by me!!

Welcome
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    For someone who should love technology and the latest new thing, I am an avowed luddite. So when I started cycling some 25 years ago, I started with short pants and a T-shirt.

And it was fine.

Then, someone talked me into doing a week long tour ... Cycle Oregon. For that, I figured I'd better see if cycling specific shorts and shoes were worthwhile. I got two pair (the cheapest I could find), and touring shoes ... kinda halfway stiff. Jerseys? What for? I stuck with the t-shirts.

And it was fine.

But I noticed that the cycling shorts were actually more comfortable. No seams, no folded material. Not night and day, but better for a long ride. They also prevented chafing between my leg and the seat. The cycling shoes? No brainer ... definitely superior. Years later, I noticed that the local Performance shop had some bike jerseys on sale for $20. Awful extravagant, I thought. But I decided to give them a try.

And it was fine.

I liked the pockets, liked that they didn't flap in the wind, and liked the bright colors. Actually, I still have those jerseys and I still wear them! Then, I decided to do Breathless Agony ... a ride where you have to earn the jersey. I managed to complete the ride, so there was no way I was going to turn that down ... even if it was $70 or so.

And it was fine.

The rest of the stuff (leg warmers, arm warmers, base layers, clipped pedals and shoes) ... also sampled with a wary eye and some trepidation. For the most part, there were good reasons that all of them were useful.

And that's where I sit today ... slowly pulled into the world of bright colors and spandex. God help me, my viewpoint of this stuff has undeniably evolved, because I no longer think cyclists look ridiculous in spandex. Well ... most of us, anyway.

You can go ahead and evolve as I did, or jump in with both feet. Either way, you'll end up in the same place.

And it will be fine.
    And on the 7th day you rested.....

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 66 and ride a road bike with full spandex and clipless pedals. Years ago, you wouldn't have caught me dead in a pair of spandex shorts. But times change and I mellowed out to where it no longer bothers me as to what other people think of what I do. Ride in whatever makes you feel comfortable and if you decide to try something else, go for it. The important thing is that you are riding and it doesn't matter what others think about how you do it.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Specialized Globe, Electra Townies, Gary Fisher Mtn bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man... What a great welcome. Very cool and appreciate all the input. Selling my Electra Straight 8 tomorrow then off to take the roadie plunge. Have to trim the stable or she won't feed me
    Jppe - looks like you're in Carolina. Spent this week all over eastern NC on business. Holy crap this is a big ole state with NO straight roads. Fly home in an hour. Hoping for good riding weather in Colorado tomorrow.
    I live in Loveland... Shout out to the brothers in CO! 22 years here.
    Qcpmsame - Dang whippersnapper! Appreciate the invite...really.

GougG - thanks for the tire info. Needed that.
    Biker 39 - great advise. I noted 'zen' after your name. Great post.
    Osco53 - you're pretty! Just trying to figure out your photo
    Nos88- appreciate the post.
    ALL posts appreciated and enjoyed.

Looking forward to contributing and getting more great advise. Ride on ! This may get expensive
    take care dudes (and dudettes)

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to biking. Basketball was a favorite distraction of mine. But i left it behind a long time ago. I have gradually mutated from cargo shorts and tee shirts to becoming a latex lizard/spandex gecko. Since I ride in the Desert SW, most of us wear cotton this time of year for cooling purposes. Its all for good exercise.

Enjoy it all and don't get caught up in the distractions. Biking attracts all kinds. Just be yourself.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast