Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

scofflaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

osteoporosis in men

helloo there! My wonderful husband who will be sixty this July (advid cyclist) has been diagnosed with
    osteopenia..Our frustration is that, if ,he were a women, he would have much better treatment options.
    (we live in the USA) Has any of you have this experience? what did you do? currently his treatment
    is "wait and see.." I think that they treat women much more proactively in the USA.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son is on Fosamax and calcium, etc.

Please see:

Redux - Osteoporosis and Bicycling - Important for 50+rs
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about Viactive and lots of weight bearing exercise. Walking, weight lifting, rope skipping and hiking work better than cycling for this condition. This can be reversed with some effort. Fox is correct Fosamax is a wonder drug, but expensive and you need to follow Dr instructions.

Best of luck.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Osteopenia? I haven't seen this term, but I am assuming it has something to do with bone deterioration. If so, my experience with knee pain might help. I am 66, and have mild osteoperosis in both knees. My doctor told me to stop running and take up cycling. He said cycling has sufficient weight bearing attributes (especially when you pull a higher gear and get up on the pedals occasionally.) He said the pounding your knees take while running make your knees worse. He also prescribed a daily dose of glucosamine/condroitin, which you can get without a prescription. I take 750 mg in the morning and 750 at night. I also take a small dose of Ibuprofin each morning -- 400 mg. My doc says cycling is great for ailing knees because the flexing action in the knees keeps the fluid going in and out of the knee cartiledge. This keeps the cartiledge from getting brittle. If it gets brittle, it breaks off and then there's nothing to cushion the bone on bone action. I try to do at least 30 miles a week, and my goal for this year is 2,200 miles. Above all, tell your husband to keep on truckin'! Most men in their 60's have given up on their fitness program and have become hopeless couch potatos.
    Last edited by trmcgeehan; 02-19-05 at 06:08 AM.
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
    Osteopenia? I haven't seen this term, but I am assuming it has something to do with bone deterioration. If so, my experience with knee pain might help. I am 66, and have mild osteoperosis in both knees. ...
    I believe you have osteoarthritis, which is different. Your advice is spot-on, however.

Osteopenia is a bone density reduction, a precursor to osteoporosus. Weight bearing exercise, calcium, and Vitamin D can help. I know Denver lifts weights, and I do as well, because it is the only way I know to fight against deterioration of bone and muscle with age.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a 55 year old male cyclist and long time runner just diagnosed with early stage Osteoporosis. Needless to say I couldn't believe this prognosis but a bone density scan bore it out. I currently average over 25 + miles per week running and am currently training for another marathon in May. However hyperthyroid disease 25 years ago which led to radio-iodine treatment caused me to become hypothyroid which has a connection to Osteoporosis.

Currently I'm taking Miacalcin and Calcium/vitamin D suppliments each day. I also try to focus more on weight bearing exercises such as lifting but still can't believe that that's any more intensive than a 16 mile training run. From what I understand Osteporosis is not that uncommon in men with thyroid condition.

Good luck.

Sam

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep up the weight-bearing exercise, and best of luck to you, Sam. (I know a bit about thyroid conditions, since my mother had lifelong mild to moderate hypothyroidism, I run a tad low myself, and my wife is a thyroid cancer (total thyroidectomy) survivor.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a new drug - Forteo - to rebuild better than Fosamax. Very $$$$

Andy's osteo is coming back - bone scan last month was not great. Met with doc today and referring to endocronologist for more evaluation. Andy is only 37.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a 53 yr. old woman who was diagnosed with Osteopenia several years ago. I started out on Fosomax but am now on Actonel (it's very similar). I take calcium with vitamin D and I also do weight bearing exercises, walking 5 days a week and gym 3 days a week. My T-score has slowly improved (takes a long time). Be sure your husband ask the doctor to be put on Fosomax or Actonel, it may be expensive but it's worth it. I know when I was with Kaiser I got my prescription much cheaper. Be sure to have a bone scan every two years. Since cycling is not a weight bearing exercise he should start a program that includes it. My husband has a male friend who was told her had osteoporosis and he only takes calcium. I think men have to take Osteopenia just as seriously as woman do, insist on a better treatment from your doctor.