Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-13, 02:12 PM   #1
Shamrock

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mr Magoo rides again

Rode along the New Jersey coast today,my favorite route.Taking in the sights and enjoying the great weather.I speed up the pace no one else in view.This is a twisty road trying to have some fun.I grab the hoods to slow the bike down going into a curve.I can't feel them,grab again they are definitely not there .Lean over to pull on the brakes.Too late I manuever through the curve by coasting.I straighten out and realize I'm on my vintage LeTour and this bike has no hoods.I yell at myself and say wake up and pay attention.Reminds me of when I used to drive a stick shift.I'd drive the wife's car and put my foot down on an imaginary clutch pedal.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 02:18 PM   #2
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Glad you're ok.

I used to do something like that when I had my 2011 Specialized with Sram shifters. My main ride had Ultegra. I'd always forget I was on the "new" bike and go to shift to an easier gear when on a hill only to shift to a harder gear. I remembered very quickly that I wasn't on my Litespeed.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 02:21 PM   #3
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
My main ride had Ultegra. I'd always forget I was on the "new" bike and go to shift to an easier gear when on a hill only to shift to a harder gear. I remembered very quickly that I wasn't on my Litespeed.
I hear you Ron!

My commute to work bike is Shimano STI but my sport bike is SRAM . . . have to retrain my brain when switching from one bike to the other. Don't always get it right!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 03:46 PM   #4
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Glad you're ok.

I used to do something like that when I had my 2011 Specialized with Sram shifters. My main ride had Ultegra. I'd always forget I was on the "new" bike and go to shift to an easier gear when on a hill only to shift to a harder gear. I remembered very quickly that I wasn't on my Litespeed.
This, +1, I was a real rookie when I got my CAAD 10 in January 2012, SRAM after all that time on Shimano brifters, whew.............

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-13, 10:56 AM   #5
BikinPotter

Bikes: Marin MTB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
. . . have to retrain my brain when switching from one bike to the other.
I ride a 125 cc scooter when I'm not on my bicycle. The other day on the bike I found myself trying to use my turn signal. Uh, Potter? This is the 2-wheeled transport whereby you stick out your arm to signal! Oh, yeah. To confuse me yet further, on the scoot the front brake is operated with the right hand, while the bike's front brake is operated with the left.
BikinPotter is offline   Reply With Quote