Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a rant just sadness

Today we were riding with a young man that has had a lot of struggles in life. A few years ago he had brain cancer and was given treatments at City of Hope. The steroids cause him to balloon up and once they slowed and stopped the cancer he struggled to lose weight. All before he was 19. He discovered cycling and lost weight rather quickly with the removal of the Steroids. He has had other medical problems he has had to deal with and he has taken it like a man. In the last two years, he is now 21 he has been training to get into racing and some of our group that races have even helped him train. He has saved and for his last birthday he got a Giant CF TCR 1 but was off the bike for a week with water on the knee. Today he was riding with us and as we came to a Freeway over pass a pickup truck pulled up next to him and the mirror knocked him off the bike. The truck almost took out the rider behind him as well but that rider managed to stay up.

The sadness is the driver felt he only had two choices. He could either get in the left land to pass an then have to cut back in front of us to get on the freeway or try to squeeze by because he couldn't wait for 30 yards to get to the light at the onramp. The drivers wife even said she tried to warm him he was too close. But the sad part is the driver never even thought to put his foot on the break and slow down till it was safe to pass. He even gave out a bad phone number, however the police did arrive and have both his vehicle license number and his Drivers License number.

Sorry to bum any out but this just made me sad. The young man will be fine, missing skin and a strawberry on his bottom but he will be set back again on his goal. I just don't get what people are thinking.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. I hope your friend recovers quickly.
    When I'm driving, bikes on the right hand side spook me.
    The process of checking left, then moving over half a lane to pass the cyclist and moving back into the right lane takes skill and awareness that not all drivers have. I'm thankful for the bicycle lanes that are being added to our streets. But even those are not fool proof. We have to be aware of cyclists when we're turning right and crossing a bicycle lane.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. I hope your friend recovers quickly.
    When I'm driving, bikes on the right hand side spook me.
    The process of checking left, then moving over half a lane to pass the cyclist and moving back into the right lane takes skill and awareness that not all drivers have. I'm thankful for the bicycle lanes that are being added to our streets. But even those are not fool proof. We have to be aware of cyclists when we're turning right and crossing a bicycle lane.
    Thanks for your concern. I agree even bike lanes will not solve the whole problem but driving is a responsibility as well as a privilege I believe and the skill sets simply need to be developed. If a Truck and trailer can pass us without knocking us down a 1/2 ton pickup should be able to as well I would hope. What I keep pulling for is for people to realize they don't "have" to squeeze past they can wait till the left turn is clear. Maybe I am dreaming.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be misunderstanding the road situation, however, it looks like the riders' lane position didn't communicate the correct message to the motorist. If the lane is wide enough to share, then stay to the right side and in-lane passing shouldn't be a problem. If the lane is not wide enough for a motor vehicle to safely pass within the lane, move to the center of the lane and force overtaking motorists to change lanes. The CA motor vehicle code permits this. One of the explicit exceptions to "as far right as practicable" is a lane that is not wide enough for a safe passing movement by a motor vehicle.

If that was the situation, then maybe this raspberry will lead to safer rides in the future. Also, I'm not trying to let the motorist off the hook here. It was his responsibility to not hit people who were right in front of him.

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish that riding a bicycle was a mandatory requirement before issuing a drivers licence. For those of us who ride bikes, it brings a whole new perspective and appreciation for the room and consideration we offer cyclists we approach and pass on the road. Or stop to help when they have a flat - you don't have to be on a bike to offer help.

I too hope the young fellow gets back on the saddle to accomplish his goals of racing.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
    I wish that riding a bicycle was a mandatory requirement before issuing a drivers licence. For those of us who ride bikes, it brings a whole new perspective and appreciation for the room and consideration we offer cyclists we approach and pass on the road. Or stop to help when they have a flat - you don't have to be on a bike to offer help.

I too hope the young fellow gets back on the saddle to accomplish his goals of racing.
    Thanks to you as well. I guess I am just sad the guy keeps getting kicked down. Our group will rally around him and I am sure the racers in our group will take the extra time to help him get where he wants to go. Truthfully he has come so far from being written off before the City of hope that I think he is a success already but I hope he at least makes a few cat 5 races after all of this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like the young man has the fortitude to deal with the issues life has thrown at him. No one has a choice in the cards they are dealt, just in how they play them. Rather than sadness, I would appreciate the man for who he is and save the sadness for people who don't have the capacity to handle what they have been dealt.

On the cycling event, well, it happens. We all mix it up with cars and at the end of the day, he got off lightly. If he gets back out there, be proud for him, be sad if he doesn't.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    It sounds like the young man has the fortitude to deal with the issues life has thrown at him. No one has a choice in the cards they are dealt, just in how they play them. Rather than sadness, I would appreciate the man for who he is and save the sadness for people who don't have the capacity to handle what they have been dealt.

On the cycling event, well, it happens. We all mix it up with cars and at the end of the day, he got off lightly. If he gets back out there, be proud for him, be sad if he doesn't.
    Yes, it could have been worse. He will recover and the bike can be fixed. It is easier to look on the bright side by the next day.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope for a speedy recovery. He needs to make a claim against the driver's auto insurance.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know what the driver's reaction was. Glad that the young man is going to continue riding, he has more courage than many of us here, hope he stays motivated and his health stays good.

Bill

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, most people think of only one thing: themselves!

It is a sad by-product of the me society.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I'd be interested to know what the driver's reaction was. Glad that the young man is going to continue riding, he has more courage than many of us here, hope he stays motivated and his health stays good.

Bill
    The drivers reaction was simple and to the point. He didn't feel he had any choice. There were cars in the lane to the left of him and he was worried he might hit one. The problem with that was there was at least 4 feet between him and the white line and the cars in the other lane may have had another 4 feet between then and the white line. I feel he was more worried about the space on his side of the car than on his wife's side. Like I said earlier I believe he thought he only had two choices and while am sure if he would have simply stayed in the center of his lane he would have passed with room to spare, remember a truck had already successful done just that. But the option that never even once crossed his mind was to slow down and pull in behind the cyclist even for 20 to 30 yards. If he felt he would have to pass too close to the rider, someone already up against the curb, the third option of don't pass should have at least crossed his mind. But he simply said, "My wife said I was too close but I couldn't change lanes." How many out there do you feel believe only have those two choices?

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your take on his choice, he should have been patient and more aware of his vehicles size and its placement. Sounds like he had too much truck and trailer for his driving skills, too. Thanks for posting this and for your view point on it, appreciated.

Bill