Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tapering.....My 2nd Most Favorite Thing about Training

I read a blurb about training for an event and one aspect the article emphasized was tapering. Most of us know a lot about tapering but this article was a great reminder and essentially outlined a 10 day pre-event plan. So No Century today but I did keep my legs awake with 65 miles and 5700 ft of climbing----with some climbs at a pretty hard pace. Will probably do 2-3 more shorter rides over the next 7 days with some brief intervals thrown in.

I was pleased with how I was climbing today so I made sure I didn't overdo it. With the lighter bike and lower body weight I really noticed a nice pickup of power starting out. In fact I Time Trialed the first 5 mile climb. There was a group of about 6 guys that started 5-10 mins ahead of me which was perfect as it provided a great target to see if I could catch any of them.

Nothing else to really to be gained this late in the game. While my legs still felt the TT some from Wednesday night, the TT event was perfect timing for my training. I needed that higher HR workout. I guess that is why I scheduled the event for this past week!! I know I was a little dehydrated from the TT and also playing golf the next day (there was NO Drinking water on course) but I'll give hydration and electrolytes a lot of attention this week.

My most favorite thing about training? Caloric intake after longer rides washed down with green liquids with salt on the rim!!
    Ride your Ride!!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post

My most favorite thing about training? Caloric intake after longer rides washed down with green liquids with salt on the rim!!
    This is confusing. You wash the salt off your wheel rims with Simple Green and then you drink the stuff? Sounds disgusting. Whatever floats your boat.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for the high mileage, climbing, speed work and time trialing I'm on the same tapering plan. Extended napping is also a big part of my perpetual tapering program.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like tapering, but it sounds like you didn't taper very much. I only rode 16 easy miles in the 5 days before my recent century.

I've read that athletes often produce new personal bests after an injury has forced them to cut out all training for a while.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure