Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Re-energising after a ride (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/889404-re-energising-after-ride.html)

Gerryattrick 05-13-13 03:36 AM

Re-energising after a ride

Before a ride tends to be a cup of tea and bowl of porridge for breakfast. During ride coffee and a cake for energy (plus water of course).

But after the ride I like a large home made vegetable juice to help regain energy - my favourite is apple, carrot, beetroot, spinach and ginger. It always seems to help, although I have absolutely no idea of the scientific theory behind what I eat and drink, and I love the taste!

I don't take any other supplements or medicines, other than a spoonful of cod liver oil a day.

This must be a problem as we age, so what do you use, if anything at all, to regain energy?

tsl 05-13-13 05:06 AM

Nap.

Dudelsack 05-13-13 05:07 AM

^^^This.

Gerryattrick 05-13-13 05:27 AM

Tried that, but can never seem to sleep during the day, even when tired.

Except if lunch involves a glass of wine or two!

chasm54 05-13-13 05:32 AM

Don't think it has much to do with age. Usual advice is that protein and carbs immediately (within about a half-hour) after exercise helps kick-start muscle fibre repair and restore glycogen levels in the muscles, thus speeding one's recovery and allowing one to go hard again sooner than would otherwise have been the case. My own recovery meal of choice is a sardine sandwich. I thought this eccentricity was unique to me until I read Graeme Obree's training guide, in which he recommends sardines on toast for the same purpose. I expect to break the hour record any day now.

RonH 05-13-13 05:57 AM

COLD chocolate milk. YUM!!

Gerryattrick 05-13-13 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm54 (Post 15619311)
Don't think it has much to do with age. Usual advice is that protein and carbs immediately (within about a half-hour) after exercise helps kick-start muscle fibre repair and restore glycogen levels in the muscles, thus speeding one's recovery and allowing one to go hard again sooner than would otherwise have been the case. My own recovery meal of choice is a sardine sandwich. I thought this eccentricity was unique to me until I read Graeme Obree's training guide, in which he recommends sardines on toast for the same purpose. I expect to break the hour record any day now.

Very interesting. Often I crave sardines on toast for lunch. Never thought about its reparative properties, but I wonder if the craving is the body letting you know what it needs?

Not sure I agree with your point about age though as my ability to recover from high effort and injury has definitely worsened as I've got older.

climberguy 05-13-13 06:19 AM

+1 on low fat chocolate milk soon after a ride. It has both protein and carbs, and the body absorbs liquids faster. Then something healthy to eat within 90 minutes, such as a turkey sandwich on whole grain, with some fruit. And a nap can be good, too. These things not only aid recovery but they help me feel energetic.

And don't forget the shower.

chasm54 05-13-13 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick (Post 15619397)
Very interesting. Often I crave sardines on toast for lunch. Never thought about its reparative properties, but I wonder if the craving is the body letting you know what it needs?

I think that's plausible. There are times when only a particular food feels "right" and I see no reason to doubt that shortage of particular nutrients would drive one to seek them out.

vesteroid 05-13-13 06:25 AM

I vote wine!

Helps with recovery and naps :)

Biker395 05-13-13 08:50 AM

India IPA ... FTW!

Two of them, as a matter of fact. :D

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...psd057a0fc.jpg

stapfam 05-13-13 10:52 AM

After a long hard ride it is KFC. For some reason I get a craving for Greasy- fatty Protein and there seems to be a KFC in every town we visit.

But liquid is my saviour after a ride. Coffee- Orange juice- water---doesn't matter but if I don't drink enough liquid to replace the weight loss from the ride within an hour--I pay for it later in the day with a terrific thirst and it carries on into the next day too.

Terrierman 05-13-13 10:57 AM

A can of blackeyed peas.

andrewclaus 05-13-13 11:41 AM

Fresh squeezed lemon in ice water with a pinch of salt.

I like your routine, except for the cake and coffee. The sugar and caffeine would not do me much good at all. I usually bonk after something like that, but that's OK because sometimes it's fun. If it gets you out riding, so what?

My ride snack is a tortilla with a hunk of cheese. Or some cashews and raisins. Basically a balance of fat and carbs, with some protein thrown in, and packs well.

TromboneAl 05-13-13 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 15619952)
India IPA ... FTW!

Two of them, as a matter of fact. :D

Followed by nap.

Frankfast 05-13-13 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsl (Post 15619274)
Nap.

Sex then a nap.

John_V 05-13-13 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 15619349)

Always works for me. :thumb:

rumrunn6 05-13-13 01:24 PM

meat

Daspydyr 05-13-13 02:27 PM

I make a smoothie of fruit (assorted berries, apples) scoop of ice cream or cup of yogurt and some cranberry juice. I have also been tossing in a scoop of BCAA from GNC. (BCAA=Branch Chain Amino Acids) I just started this as a sister rider recommended them via advice from her Personal Trainer.

As a Mountain Biker, we are famous for ice cream and a beer post ride. It is really a good combo. and has benefits.

On a really good day I fire up the hot tub and have a nice cigar as well. Alternating between the pool and hot tub seems to refresh my old body nicely.

Daspydyr 05-13-13 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrierman (Post 15620449)
A can of blackeyed peas.

Isn't that a music group? :innocent::twitchy:

Champlaincycler 05-13-13 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankfast (Post 15620693)
Sex then a nap.

I agree, sex,nap, then cycling. Can't wait till retirement.

billydonn 05-13-13 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 15619349)

+1. Then nap.

Artmo 05-14-13 02:25 AM

SIS recovery drink within 30 min of riding, or chocolate drink, followed by dip in the pool to cool off, followed by electrolyte drink or water, then a sandwich for lunch, followed by coffee and a nap of not more than 30 min or I feel like you know what if I sleep longer.

dendawg 05-14-13 09:44 AM

If not eating a meal right away then a protein recovery drink. Then later a high protein meal.

David Bierbaum 05-14-13 10:04 AM

A glass of cold orange juice is enough for me.