Lay off the golf. Hard on the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Lay off the golf. Hard on the back.
    LOL

Golf has become less of a priority for me since March. I used to be a range rat but, the last few times out I am just going for the fellowship with my group (we have been together for several years) and not really worrying about my score.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planned rest is your friend. That is when the muscles rebuild and get stronger. You have to give them some time to do that. Especially if one is just starting out (and I don't know if you are or not).
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Planned rest is your friend. That is when the muscles rebuild and get stronger. You have to give them some time to do that. Especially if one is just starting out (and I don't know if you are or not).
    Thanks for the advice. I am overweight but, I am losing. I have been getting at least one hour of exercise 6 days a week for the past several months (Friday is my day off). I just recently picked up the pace and added more biking in my routine. I have just ridden a lot more miles in the last four days than ever before, tomorrow I will not be on the bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I am overweight but, I am losing. I have been getting at least one hour of exercise 6 days a week for the past several months (Friday is my day off). I just recently picked up the pace and added more biking in my routine. I have just ridden a lot more miles in the last four days than ever before, tomorrow I will not be on the bike.
    Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prudent advice is to increase your time and mileage gradually. For example, if you are used to riding an hour, don't suddenly increase it to two hours (30 miles). Increase it 10 minutes, ride a few days at that amount, then when used to it, increase it another 10 minutes or so. And as Dnvr said, include rest days--I would suggest every third or fourth day as a rest day.
    And I did it all clean.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a several years I exercised religiously six days per week and often got those really tired nights. I was OK, as long as I could just lie in the recliner and watch TV -- is that what you mean by really tired?

I decided I was overdoing it, and cut down to about four days per week. I now have fewer of those nights, and I think they are related to juxtaposed workouts.

But they are still a little mysterious to me. Sometimes I can ride 60 miles and not be tired, other times no exercise and tired.

Is it just "getting old" (age 59) or is there something wrong with me?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I alternate between emphasizing bicycling, swimming, walking, resistance exercises (and balance training and prescribed stretching). Today I did a training ride (hills) followed by a swim. Tomorrow am I will do an intense resistance session - weights, TRX, etc., with a walk and then a short bicycle ride with the wife. Wednesday will be a longer but easier bike ride and swim, etc., etc. This allows for muscles used by one activity to recover while doing another activity. Then, every now and then I ease off of everything. This is NOT a scientific training program, but one that works for this 73yo guy, and I greatly enjoy it, which, after all, is what really counts.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-13-13 at 08:56 PM.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many of you have occasional very-tired nights?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Tired - a nice tired - yes. Very tired - not often, unless I have been off the resistance exercises for a bit, and then do an all-out effort. Sometimes it catches me unawares until it hits me.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do. Sometimes all I can do is sit on the couch and ache all over. I can even have a hard time getting to sleep because I am so jagged. Kind of like early symptoms of the flu but the flu never appears. It doesn't happen often.

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a period of about 10 days that I was just bone tired all the time. I got my normal amount of sleep, just not feeling good and very tired. I slept about 10 hours last Friday and Saturday night, Sunday I woke up feeling great. now I am back to normal. Sometimes I think the sleep deprivation and exercise has a cumlitve effect and slow creeps up on you.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last four days

Day 1 - Rode 20.8 miles
    Day 2 - Walked 18 holes of golf
    Day 3 - Rode 30.3 miles
    Day 4 - Rode 27.3 miles
    Golfer here for 50 years and serious cyclist for a little over 10. I tend to ride more than golf December-June and then play more golf July & August. It's been a challenge to juggle golf and riding but I'm still glad I have both as hobbies. I was overweight but playing my best golf when I started riding. I lost 60 pounds and a lot of upper body strength so distance has suffered on the golf course, but accuracy and the short game has improved so overall scoring is about the same. I've gone from carrying my clubs to a push cart and still enjoy walking--especially in the winter to keep the legs active.

Keep up the riding (just ride easier/slower on some days) and keep up the golf!!!
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the occasional very tired club.But I'm still working.I have a job where I climb ladders and install pipe,valves etc. Some mornings I plan my bike ride after work and when I get home its like not today.I least I know where my tiredness comes from.How is the wife after that nasty crash?

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last four days

Day 1 - Rode 20.8 miles
    Day 2 - Walked 18 holes of golf
    Day 3 - Rode 30.3 miles
    Day 4 - Rode 27.3 miles
    How does that compare with your usual schedule? If it's substantially more than usual, I'd expect you to be tired. Keep it up for a few weeks, and you'd be surprised how well your body adapts to it.

I ride 35 miles or so almost every day. And since I do it every day, it's no big deal at all. But give me 3 weeks off the bike, and all that changes. Suddenly, that 35 miles a day is exhausting.

I had that happen a couple of months ago. I didn't ride nearly as much because of work, vacations, and the like. And getting back into the routine, I found myself more tired than usual. Enough so, that I mentioned an epiphany to my wife.

"I'm exhausted. You know, 35 miles is a long way to ride every day."

Her response was predictable.

"You're just figuring that out?"
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    How is the wife after that nasty crash?
    She is pretty much all better (7 weeks post-crash). Once in a while she notes that her ribs are still sore, but it doesn't limit her. She rode on the 35 mile course of the Wine Country ride last week, and wants to ride today.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I really push myself outside my normal routine, it's almost guaranteed to be exhausted.

Last night for example.

This last Saturday, May 11th I did a 100+ mile ride with over a mile of elevation gain. Centuries are something I do fairly often but the elevation gain was new to me. Sunday was a travel day so I could not do a recovery ride. Took off Monday and made up for it yesterday by doing a hard 70 miles with just one other rider. The wind was howling and I was exhausted when I got home.

So yeah, when I really push myself and especilly if I do not hydrate or eat properly before, during and after the rides. I do have to remind myself to give my body time to recover.

Have a 200K this Saturday for training for a 250 mile double century at the end of June. Last year it was 108 on both days, can't wait
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She is pretty much all better (7 weeks post-crash). Once in a while she notes that her ribs are still sore, but it doesn't limit her. She rode on the 35 mile course of the Wine Country ride last week, and wants to ride today.
    Good to hear that she is rarin' to go!

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sleep apnea

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a nap, start over. Sleeping at night even helps.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago some friends of mine did 18 consecutive Centuries. Just hearing about it wore me out.