Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dumb Question?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dumb Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-13, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dumb Question?

Not too dumb I hope. How do you mount an upright bike? Safely that is. No jumping over the rear wheel the way Gene Autry used to do with his horse.

Right now I lay the bike almost down,hold the handlebars like they were a pole, swing the off leg over, then lift the bike upright. That is way too much drama. Then start off with a wobbly 1/4 diameter pedal stroke to get moving.

Gotta be a better way.
Old 05-11-13, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Somewhere on one of the boards there's a recent thread about mounting a bike complete with names and step-by-step directions for several different methods.

This is 50+ so I'm going to say "Do whatever it takes." What you're doing now is fine. If you ride a lot, you may develop a short cut. If you do develop a short cut, that'll be fine too. If anybody makes a negative comment about how you get onto your bike, tell them to get off your lawn.
Old 05-11-13, 02:03 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UutOQjY-NKU

The traditional way to mount a bike. No drama involved.

If you aren't limber enough, due to age or whatever other reason, then obviously this approach won't work and you're doing fine.
Old 05-11-13, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I get on much like the OP. My spouse, who barely rides at all and is overweight can get on the "old time" way of putting his left foot on the left pedal, pushes off to start rolling and swings his right leg over the rear of the bike. It looks very elegant but I could never do it, even when I was a kid.
Old 05-11-13, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Here is what I do.I mount from the left side.If no one is around i place my left foot on the left pedal when it is at 6 oclock,while holding onto the handle bars and push off with my right leg and swing it over the seat onto the right pedal. If some one is around and one wants to impress I do the same except start the left pedal at 9-10 o'clock ,it gets you moving faster but I really don't see much of a difference.I also try to remember to leave the gears in low so I'm not starting off and down shifting.
Old 05-11-13, 07:35 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
There are other styles of bikes that can be easier to mount, such as step-through frames, recumbents, some crank forwards, mixte, etc.
Old 05-11-13, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Here is what I do.I mount from the left side.If no one is around i place my left foot on the left pedal when it is at 6 oclock,while holding onto the handle bars and push off with my right leg and swing it over the seat onto the right pedal. If some one is around and one wants to impress I do the same except start the left pedal at 9-10 o'clock ,it gets you moving faster but I really don't see much of a difference.I also try to remember to leave the gears in low so I'm not starting off and down shifting.
That's what I do, but I do it even if other people are around. For me, standing on the pedal lifts me up just enough that it's easier to get the old right leg over the saddle and anything I have on the rear rack. Otherwise, I have to tilt the bike WAY over to swing my leg over the back.

I used to dismount by swinging my right leg over behind my left as I was stopping, but I don't trust myself to be able to complete that successfully these days.
Old 05-11-13, 08:49 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
You can also swing your leg over the handlebars. This is good when the cargo on the rear of the bike is piled high.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-12-13, 06:47 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You can also swing your leg over the handlebars. This is good when the cargo on the rear of the bike is piled high.
That's what I used to do when we had a conventional tandem. That may be part of the reason we've stayed married for so long.
Old 05-12-13, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also swing your leg over the handlebars.
Or maybe not.
Old 05-12-13, 09:05 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger Dan
Or maybe not.
You do have to be pretty limber for this. I'm not very limber, so it's not the easiest way for me, but I thought it should be listed among the ways to mount a bike.

The video posted above does show one of the easiest ways, perhaps the easiest of all.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-12-13, 09:45 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Very impressive if done on a moving start.
Old 05-12-13, 11:26 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger Dan
Or maybe not.
when I used to ride my tandem a lot, I swung my leg over the handlebars. Nowadays, I swing my leg over the captain's top tube. A little awkward, but at least I can actually do it.
Old 05-12-13, 02:46 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shamrock
^^^^^This way. ^^^^^
Old 05-12-13, 04:40 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs
Old 05-12-13, 05:36 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Since I have those honking huge grocery panniers on the back of my bike, I have to sort of hop/high-kick my foot over the top tube. I give thanks for the relaxed geometry of my bike.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a "dumb question." There is only the "rude answer."
Old 05-12-13, 06:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everyone.

Pre-trauma I used to mount from the left with the pedal in about the 8 o'clock position. Step on with the left foot and kick off with a very small push from the right foot. Then swing the right leg over the saddle, clip in and off I went.

Now, I have very limited strength in my feet from the insteps forward and the right leg is pretty weak. I was looking for maybe some other way than what I am doing. From your inputs it looks like what I am doing is best for now. Of course I am NOT clipping in. I've put bearclaw style pedals on my bikes and will add them to my road bike this coming week.

Thanks
Old 05-13-13, 02:23 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
OK - considering you can't swing a leg over the saddle - which you might have mentioned in the beginning ;-) - you're doing it right.
Old 05-13-13, 05:56 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I think I mentioned this before on another thread. My brother has really long legs. He hold the bike in front of him with the back wheel on the ground and the front wheel at head height. He then pushes the rear wheel back between his legs so the saddle winds up right behind his butt. He then sits and off he goes..........
Old 05-13-13, 10:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icyclist
OK - considering you can't swing a leg over the saddle - which you might have mentioned in the beginning ;-) - you're doing it right.
Sorry. Didn't mean to omit or mislead. Thought I'd covered this before.

I can swing, or maybe drag, my leg over the saddle. But is a lot more drama than I'm happy with.
Before spin class today I practiced mounting and dismounting.

There is hope.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 05-13-13 at 10:26 PM. Reason: The BlackBerry PlayBook has a mind of its own.
Old 05-14-13, 09:50 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Hmmm. I only mount from the left side. Maybe a throwback from learning to mount a horse before learning to ride a bike. I'm thinking I see almost everyone I ride with also mounting from the left side exclusively.
Old 05-16-13, 06:35 PM

Bikes: trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
run jump and leap on it....no I just lay mine dowm part way..works for me