Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Spinning again.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinning again.

Struggling to get the brain back working for spinning but last night we had a TRACK CIRCUIT at the class. 2 minutes of flat out and recovery in between races. Sounds boring but full speed on cadence with lower resistance for two minutes and it hurt. Used my normal ride level of 12 for the first one and cadence of 120. No idea on HR but it was way up there. Lungs stopped working just at the end so recovery was back on level 8 and cadence of 50. Just before I got sensible again it was time for the next one. Level 10 this time for me and 120 cadence and I survived. Did this 5 times so 10 minutes at full bore in 20 minutes or so. Then the instructor put a twist in of a Kieran. 30 seconds at cadence of 90 and level 2 above what you have been using. Then every 30 seconds increase Cadence by 5. So 3 minutes and we were at 120 and a level I did not like. Then up cadence to as fast as you could go and I went for it. 1 minute at this for and the last 30 seconds I was still at 130 cadence on a level that was killing me so I got out of the saddle and tried to keep cadence up. Last time I spun that fast was on the Tandem in the 10 minute Time Trial I did a couple of years ago and it hurt then and it hurt last night. After this it was back to 2 minute races and 2 minutes recovery time.

Average power in watts by the end was way down and calories were not great either. But boy what a workout. You could tell who had worked by looking at them. Think we were all shattered but the sweat levels on the floor around the bikes showed who had put effort in and my Cycling jersey was clinging to me as though I had just come out of the pool. I have never sweated so much in my life. I was still trying to get my breath back after the stretching exercise after the session.

This was interval training to the extreme and it hurt but as a way to get the brain back it worked. This morning and the body feels good. No muscle aches- no stiff back and no butt ache. Those gym saddles do not suit me.

I would not do this class by choice and it was sprung on us but in hindsight it was probably the toughest class I have done and I survived it. But I am now convinced that a gentle ride of 50 miles with plenty of steep hills is my kind of riding. Time Trials and track racing are not cycling as I want to know it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow...120...only in my dreams.