Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flatlanders - cry your eyes out - and 475 miles of single track to boot!

At the southwest corner of the Denver Metro Area the S Platte "River" enters the plains from the mountains through Waterton Canyon, a popular fishing, hiking and biking venue. Also, this is the official start of the Colorado Trail which, unlike the first 6.5 miles shown below, winds its way on mostly single track of 475 miles of isolated, rugged and high Colorado backcountry, which finds its way to Durango, CO.

Adjacent to the Waterton Canyon area is the 5,000 acre Chatfield State Park with a lake, the Audubon Society with trails and ponds and the rustic portion of the Denver Botanic Gardens (most of which is located in downtown Denver). Just down the road is the fantastic Roxborough State Park (closed to bicycles), with incredible red rock Morrison Formation slabs standing 100's of feet straight up into the sky. This all is about 20 miles from my home.

This is all reachable by bicycle trail from Downtown Denver - many miles away, and from my home, also.

Here are some pictures of today's ride, which is all uphill for 6.5 miles. At the top, the trail becomes single track and is a favorite spot for more technical mtn biking.

The start of the trail, which is a road at this point:

A wheelchair accessible fishing spot

The trail going up

Lots of wildlife - I did not get the Bear sign picture

The cliffs extend a couple of hundred feet up

The "River"

More trail

The top

More on the next post, please
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-15-13 at 08:20 PM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More:

A small lake behind the diversion dam which sends water to Denver.

The Strontia Springs Dam which was recently dredged from fire debris and ash clogging the dam and reducing storage.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures. I enjoyed preparing them for you. If you like ride reports like this, let us all know!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-15-13 at 08:01 PM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn you Denver!

Suddenly the Saturday ride I had planned with Mrs. Grouch now seems - well - puny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Darn you Denver!

Suddenly the Saturday ride I had planned with Mrs. Grouch now seems - well - puny.
    Sorry about that

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like great riding. How many months of the year is the trail open?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm heading out to Erie in August to see the grandchildren. It's an hour bike ride from Erie to the single track, but the single track out there is pretty rocky and I thought I was going to die last time I was on it. Most of the MTBers were on dual suspension bikes. So I plan on sticking to the bike paths, which are very pleasant.

BTW, here is a brief clip on the trail that runs from Erie to the aforementioned single track:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Dudelsack, that looks like fun. I will have to put that on my "bucket list" - but I find that my bucket seems to have a hole!!! Where do you grab the trail?

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and one, if one so wishes, can smoke a little herb too!

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr,
    Reminds me of the wonderful camping days of my youth! We (the family) would always camp in 'primitive' National Forest campgrounds. $1/day with the Golden Eagle season pass. Six of us in a tent. In '71 we spent three weeks just in Colorado alone - and most of that above 8,000' elevation. Taylor Reservoir was nice, as was Grand Mesa. I remember our car having a hard time with the thin air at Cottonwood Pass - 12,126 foot elevation.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hey, Dudelsack, that looks like fun. I will have to put that on my "bucket list" - but I find that my bucket seems to have a hole!!! Where do you grab the trail?
    They have a very nice trailhead off of US 287, near where it branches off of Public Road. One way to get there from the south is US 36 to Northwest Parkway to US 287 to the trail head. There are better ways I'm sure, but that would be relatively simple.

The Coal Creek trail from there heads towards Marshall Lake. The trails to the northeast of the lake are pretty user friendly, although the climbing took a lot out of this flatliner, er I mean flatlander. If you start at Lafayette, it's actually a steady climb westward, which means the return trip is a breeze except for the Empire Street hill, and even that wasn't bad.

My only complaint is that although there are very nice trailheads and rest room facilities, there is no water to be found on the trail. Next time I intend to take my Camelbak Hawg.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 05-16-13 at 07:37 AM.

My Bikes
    Vitus Aluminum, DiamondBack Apex, Softride Powerwing 700, "Generic" Ishiwata 022, Trek OCLV 110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    If you like ride reports like this, let us all know![/B][/SIZE]
    Yes, I like, I like!

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is just something about Colorado that makes me wish I were there.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's not much in the way of shade anywhere in those pics. Unless you happen to be on the north side of a cliff. Pretty country, but barren.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    There's not much in the way of shade anywhere in those pics. Unless you happen to be on the north side of a cliff. Pretty country, but barren.
    I remember when I ground to a halt because exhaustion, we found a single tree out in the open and huddled under it for relief.

Then we got on our cellphones and were pleasantly surprised to see Les Peaux des Rouges had whooped up on the Saints.

Sunscreen and lots and lots of water are absolute necessities out there.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    There is just something about Colorado that makes me wish I were there.
    DnvrFox has done it again and made me yearn for a trip to the states. I know Dnvr termed the phrase "Smell the roses" and I can see why with so much fantastic scenery.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    1. What deciduous trees we have are just beginning to leaf out from Winter's starkness. So, the lack of leaves makes it even worse.

2. There are likely just a few trees between the start of the plains at the Denver foothills all the way to near the Mississippi River that were not planted by someone. The lower front range is essentially a desert (average of about 15" of annual precip) in the rain shadow of the Rocky Mountains. Water here is more precious than oil, or almost so. If you were to go further up into the Colorado mountains you would find plenty of Evergreens and Aspen and the like to give one all the shade they might need. In fact, you might be screaming for some sun.

Colorado is truly a land of contrasts. But, for the lower foothills and plains, bring your own shade!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-17-13 at 06:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post DnvrFox, enjoyed the pics thanks for sharing them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Nice post DnvrFox, enjoyed the pics thanks for sharing them!
    Thank you. That is most kind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Looks like great riding. How many months of the year is the trail open?
    To my kknowledge it is open all year around, although you may want to hike when it snows. Many years ago, I ran the entire route - 13 miles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to another Waterton Canyon post I made years ago - just scroll down 1/2 page.

http://ourwebs.info/fambicy.htm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
    Dnvr,
    Reminds me of the wonderful camping days of my youth! We (the family) would always camp in 'primitive' National Forest campgrounds. $1/day with the Golden Eagle season pass. Six of us in a tent. In '71 we spent three weeks just in Colorado alone - and most of that above 8,000' elevation. Taylor Reservoir was nice, as was Grand Mesa. I remember our car having a hard time with the thin air at Cottonwood Pass - 12,126 foot elevation.
    We love Cottonwood Pass.

My brother-in-law is the Sheriff of Chaffee County, which includes the east side of Cottonwood Pass.