Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

took an hour but we dropped the rude girl

this story came to mind after reading another post about getting dropped....

25-30 years ago my wife and I did a self contained tour from the top of Washington State down to Napa California along Hwy 1. There is a hill named Leggit (if I recall the spelling) that we were dreading. Maybe it was the biggest hill on the ride. This was our first tour on our Trek touring bikes (720 and 520) and we were very new to cycling.
    As we were riding along a sweet young thing passed us on a road bike. She wasn't touring and she was probably about 10-15 years our junior. We were about 35yrs old at the time. We said hello with a smile and she half turned her head with a scowl and didn't say a word. Blew by us with very little trouble. Ahead of us was the hill.
    We lost sight of her as she got to the hill and moved around a bend but after another 20 or 30 minutes we saw her ahead of us. Then after some period of time we realized we were actually gaining on her. We were not racing; just trying to keep a steady pace but it seemed our steady pace was a bit quicker than hers. At some point she noticed we were getting closer and I saw that she tried to pick up some speed but she couldn't do much.
    It wouldn't surprise me to learn we pushed a bit harder, but nothing was said between my wife and I. We just slowly...ever so slowly, continued to gain on her and eventually we caught up with her and deliciously passed her with our tents, sleeping bags, pots and pans stuffed in our front and rear panniers. It probably took 5 minutes to pass her. We said hello again but this time she didn't even glance at us.
    It was obvious it just killed her to get passed by us. I have no idea why she was so cold toward us but after all these years I count that little ride as one of my all time favorite encounters.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the smallist victories are the sweetist.

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best revenge is to live well.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everyone enjoys cat 6 racing on occasion. For n00bs: Cat 6 racing is racing outside of the context of an actual race, and doesn't not require the consent or even the awareness of all parties that racing is indeed going on.

I'm slow, so I don't have many cat 6 notches on my revolver.

The funniest cat 6 I've ever been a party to is this: I once was returning home from a long ride, something like 40-50 miles, and two kitted roadies flew by me and gave me The Look.

Shortly after that a trichick passed me. Because the road was straight and it dipped into a valley (the infamous Grizzle Gate), I could see the trichick gaining on the kitted roadies. The Look turned to terror and humilation as the trichick dusted the fools. They were well aware that they were being overtaken by a trichick and none to happy about it. It made my day.

Just be careful. My son and I were doing some cat 6 one day, and he foolishly ran a stop sign and got t-boned by a car. Totalled the bike and didn't work wonders for the car either, but everyone survived and my son got a really cool scar he likes to show off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to getting my 50+ jersey - just to let the rest of the Cat 6 field know that they just got passed by an "old" guy (on a fixed gear).

My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    It probably took 5 minutes to pass her.
    Best line in the story! Prolonged agony for 5 minutes on the part of the "sweet young thing." One thing I can almost guarantee - this event is NOT in her repertoire of cycling stories.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo...bravo.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to learn we pushed a bit harder, but nothing was said between my wife and I.
    If your wife is anything like Mrs. Grouch that's probably an understatement. Mrs. Grouch denigrates anything having to do with competition - until she gets somebody in her *** sights who she thinks she can beat. Then it's totally game on!

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daddy issues I think.

I've been racing cat 6 for a few years now.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have told her "good job!" as you passed her. I have nothing but disdain for that all-too-prevalent elitist, condescending, roadie attitude I only hope that by the time some of these overweening individuals reach 50 years that they have learned and realize how foolish it is to be that way, and that life is too short to be that way around others, on or off the bike.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun story-gotta keep the arrogant humble! Hills make everyone tell the truth.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can barely wait until the day I can finally pass someone, anyone, during a climb. I've not been cycling that long (3 years) but each year I get a bit faster. I also get a bit older, (74), but I'm not certain If I'm getting stronger faster than the rate at which I get older. Great story - an inspiring story.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story, digibud!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    I've been racing cat 6 for a few years now.
    Going on several decades for me.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago, 5 maybe, when I was lighter and much more fit, I would routinely pass all but the fastest riders on the hills. Unfortunately they would pass me right back on the descents because I am a very cautious descender. Not slow, but usually much slower than those willing to risk life and limb. So we'd pass each other over several ups and downs until I finally gained enough distance over those climbs to not see them anymore. So who was Cat 6 racing? Me or them? Lol
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair 4 View Post
    Best line in the story! Prolonged agony for 5 minutes on the part of the "sweet young thing."
    You bet.

I really don't care so much that I get passed, nor that people don't return a greeting. What pisses me off is when a paceline goes by and people in that paceline see fit to pass me with only a few inches of handlebar-handlebar clearance. I mean ... WTF ... bad enough cars buzz us, we have to have other cyclists do it too?

My experience is that a lot of the time, the offendee is a bit of a wheel-sucker. So when that hill appears, I know there's a good chance I'll be passing them.

But why get it over so soon? Stay back there ... slowly catching up. Watch them fall apart little by little trying to stay in front of you. First, they start honking more frequently. Then, they start rubber-banding ... you'll catch up with them and they'll step on it and pull away again.

Let 'em ... no rush ... take your time.

Then you see their steering start to waver side to side ... a sign they're pretty much finished. Still no reason to pass them ... hang back. It's like a cat playing with a mouse. And when you do finally pass them, make sure you smile and say hi, cuz as we all know, nothing says effyou better than that.

Or, you can pass them on your fully loaded touring bikes. That's classic!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, So I was out looking for Newby cyclists to crush. Nothing better than going home with a few more notches in my belt.
    I was just smoking along, burning up the asphalt when I got this old geezer in my sights. It took me close to a half hour to reel him in, but I had the sweetest satisfaction as I flew past, shooting a snot rocket in his direction.
    Later that day, I met him again, but this time in a convenience store where I was buying more rocket fuel, aka gatorade. The old fart told me that last month he had a heart pacemaker put in along with a couple of stents. What a wheenie. Excuses, Excuses.

Not.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would anyone want to pass a sweet young thing?
    I usually just follow along and enjoy the view...until they drop me on a climb.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a "roadie passed me but couldn't make it stick" story, I enjoyed it. But I couldn't care less about the "arrogant, snobbish, etc" part of your analysis.

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    The old fart told me that last month he had a heart pacemaker put in along with a couple of stents. What a wheenie. Excuses, Excuses.
    Ha!
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just remembered my most memorable cat 6 win. I was living up in the San Fernando Valley several years ago. At the time I was late forty’s and weighed in at nearly 300 lbs. I was at a light and a couple of young guys on Wally’s pulled up next to me. They were joking around in Spanish and probably didn’t realize that I understood the word “ponson” <pon SONE - fatso>

I looked over and in my own horrible <oar EE blay> Spanish, bet these Oaxaco’s that I could beat them across the intersection when the light changed. They hadn’t noticed me surreptitiously checking to make sure that those Wally’s were still in the same (top) gear they left the store in. As usual, I was in a much lower gear. One guy pulled out ten bucks and handed it to his friend. I pulled out my wallet and did the same. I was still putting up my wallet when the light changed and still cleared the intersection before they were half way through.

Those guys were stunned, but paid up. I left them with “Yo se usar los cambios”. As I was riding off I could hear gears chunking as they were trying to figure it out.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also passed her today.

New Subrue 017.jpg
    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 05-16-13 at 02:54 PM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    You bet.

I really don't care so much that I get passed, nor that people don't return a greeting. What pisses me off is when a paceline goes by and people in that paceline see fit to pass me with only a few inches of handlebar-handlebar clearance. I mean ... WTF ... bad enough cars buzz us, we have to have other cyclists do it too?

My experience is that a lot of the time, the offendee is a bit of a wheel-sucker. So when that hill appears, I know there's a good chance I'll be passing them.

But why get it over so soon? Stay back there ... slowly catching up. Watch them fall apart little by little trying to stay in front of you. First, they start honking more frequently. Then, they start rubber-banding ... you'll catch up with them and they'll step on it and pull away again.

Let 'em ... no rush ... take your time.

Then you see their steering start to waver side to side ... a sign they're pretty much finished. Still no reason to pass them ... hang back. It's like a cat playing with a mouse. And when you do finally pass them, make sure you smile and say hi, cuz as we all know, nothing says effyou better than that.

Or, you can pass them on your fully loaded touring bikes. That's classic!
    Dang, that's the cycling equivalent of water boarding. Remind me not to get on your bad side

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early days of riding and on a good downslope in Eastbourne and probably doing 30 mph when we hit the flat. There was a moped in front of us and I could feel my ride partner putting on a bit of effort and sure enough we passed that damn noisy Moped. Problem was-it was another mile to the cafe where we were going to stop and it was no longer flat and it definitely wasn't downhill.

I had to put in a lot of effort to stay in front of that moped and I learnt a good lesson that day. If you want to stay in front-You have to have the better motor.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

blt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    What pisses me off even more is after some members of that paceline pass me, they see fit to cut back in front of me with only a few cm between my front wheel and the passing rear wheel. Not that I like the small handlebar-handlebar clearance, either, but seeing how close they come to hitting my front wheel seems more life threatening, perhaps in part because I have a better view of what in front of me than what is to my side. Whether the handlebars or the wheels, I don't know why they think my line and speed are so consistent that they can really judge it that closely.

Your words are pretty much identical to what I have said to my wife after coming home alive. "I mean . . . WTF . . . bad enough cars buzz us, we have to have other cyclists do it too?" And while the cars that buzz me are biggesr and faster, they don't come as close as those pacelines. I fear for my life more when a paceline is going by than when a car buzzes me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast