User Tag List

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa...What A Rush!

Today I tested the handling parameters of my Raleigh PRE and I am glad to have had that bike under my butt. We live in the hilliest of the hilly in our hilly county. My home is on a country lane (fresh blacktop) with a nasty 20mph corner just down the road at the bottom of a 1/2mi descent. This is my first time riding down this hill as I have typically come from the opposite direction (important little detail). I was in a racers tuck coasting along at 27mph with a car following me as I set up for the corner. In a car it is a true 20mph short radius turn. I sat up to scrub speed, then ducked down with my knee out....so far so good...no oncoming traffic...crap, here comes the shoulder!!! I was still back in the saddle so the backend wasnt going to kick out but what about the front? I tugged hard on the forks, the Michelin Krylion bit hard, the fork skittered twice and I was left with 3" of blacktop to spare as I shot out of the corner and I celebrated with a big grin. My neighbors passed me by after watching the whole thing. Now I know how much this aluminum/Tange epoxied frame can handle.

(Not that I'm real eager to hit that at 25+ again)
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that and hit a wet spot at the turn. 3 cracked ribs a new helmet, bibs and new jersey later. OUCH.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I did that and hit a wet spot at the turn. 3 cracked ribs a new helmet, bibs and new jersey later. OUCH.
    Ouch for sure. Wet pavement is enough to frighten me with this racing/training type tire. You just cant tell when it will let go on you.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some bikes give you confidence and others you are wary of. Sounds like this bike is sorted so good on ya.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Some bikes give you confidence and others you are wary of. Sounds like this bike is sorted so good on ya.
    Yes, thank you.

If I were riding the Trek 460 or a friend's C-Dale Crit 3.0 I had in my shop for refurbing....there may have been a different outcome.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE