Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-17-13, 04:26 PM   #1
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Escaped

The "What A Rush" thread reminded me of what happened when I was riding in CO a couple weeks ago.

Since I am still rehabbing and developing leg and torso strength I bought a Giant Revel 29 for the gears and ease of balancing on wider tires. Not quite ready for the road bike yet.

I took of from where I was staying heading downhill to a fairly flat paved trail along the river. Going down the hill my Garmin 705 mount loosened on the handlebars. At the time I was doing over 35mph on the concrete trail. In my fumbling to put the mount back where it belonged I managed to open the spring clip and the 705 went flying. Oh what a noise!

To compound operator induced problems I pulled the brakes, very firmly. Did you know the disc brakes on the Revel will lock up the tires? Now I do. But the bike maintained a pretty good line. I'd like to say it was my riding skill. But, then I'd be fibbing.

Eventually I got the bloody thing stopped; figured out how to get off the bike on a hill (first time doing that); and started walking back up the hill to what I was sure was going to be an expensive piece of junk.

The 705 was lying on the concrete apparently undamaged. In fact, I couldn't even find a new scratch. That is one tough GPS!

Then I had to figure out how to mount the bike while on a fairly steep downhill grade.

I think I escaped with only a couple flat spots on the tires and a bit elevated heart rate.

Question is whether I learned enough not to get distracted again?
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 05:42 PM   #2
overthehillmedi

Bikes:
No.
overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 06:58 PM   #3
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
I've learned to follow this rule "If your mind is saying 'you probably shouldn't do this,' don't."
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 07:24 PM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
35 mph down the trail??? - to Santa Fe???

Nope
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:43 PM   #5
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
There is no glory in winning the Darwin Award.
Old 05-18-13, 02:10 AM   #6
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Sure didn't see those responses coming. Actually there is a new wide and smooth trail. I was just coasting, not peddling. The hazard was when I grossly underestimated the braking power of those disc brakes. Sure a lot more powerful than the rim brakes on my road bike or the disc brakes on my hybrid.
Old 05-18-13, 10:08 AM   #7
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
Sure didn't see those responses coming. Actually there is a new wide and smooth trail. I was just coasting, not peddling. The hazard was when I grossly underestimated the braking power of those disc brakes. Sure a lot more powerful than the rim brakes on my road bike or the disc brakes on my hybrid.
OK, I haven't been down the newly redone path, and, yes, I would likely go 35 - even though the speed limit is 15, as I recall.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-13, 04:12 PM   #8
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
OK, I haven't been down the newly redone path, and, yes, I would likely go 35 - even though the speed limit is 15, as I recall.
Going that fast and fiddling around with stuff is NOT cool

On another note, I covet getting a speeding ticket to hang on the wall in the garage by my bike bench!
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-13, 06:05 PM   #9
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Going that fast and fiddling around with stuff is NOT cool

On another note, I covet getting a speeding ticket to hang on the wall in the garage by my bike bench!
Considering your post about a deliberate foolhardy escapade I find your judgmental comment about my escaping from the consequences of a reflex action ironic.

And you covet a trophy for going too fast in a School Zone?

????