Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Escaped

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Escaped

The "What A Rush" thread reminded me of what happened when I was riding in CO a couple weeks ago.

Since I am still rehabbing and developing leg and torso strength I bought a Giant Revel 29 for the gears and ease of balancing on wider tires. Not quite ready for the road bike yet.

I took of from where I was staying heading downhill to a fairly flat paved trail along the river. Going down the hill my Garmin 705 mount loosened on the handlebars. At the time I was doing over 35mph on the concrete trail. In my fumbling to put the mount back where it belonged I managed to open the spring clip and the 705 went flying. Oh what a noise!

To compound operator induced problems I pulled the brakes, very firmly. Did you know the disc brakes on the Revel will lock up the tires? Now I do. But the bike maintained a pretty good line. I'd like to say it was my riding skill. But, then I'd be fibbing.

Eventually I got the bloody thing stopped; figured out how to get off the bike on a hill (first time doing that); and started walking back up the hill to what I was sure was going to be an expensive piece of junk.

The 705 was lying on the concrete apparently undamaged. In fact, I couldn't even find a new scratch. That is one tough GPS!

Then I had to figure out how to mount the bike while on a fairly steep downhill grade.

I think I escaped with only a couple flat spots on the tires and a bit elevated heart rate.

Question is whether I learned enough not to get distracted again?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've learned to follow this rule "If your mind is saying 'you probably shouldn't do this,' don't."
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35 mph down the trail??? - to Santa Fe???

Nope
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no glory in winning the Darwin Award.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure didn't see those responses coming. Actually there is a new wide and smooth trail. I was just coasting, not peddling. The hazard was when I grossly underestimated the braking power of those disc brakes. Sure a lot more powerful than the rim brakes on my road bike or the disc brakes on my hybrid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Sure didn't see those responses coming. Actually there is a new wide and smooth trail. I was just coasting, not peddling. The hazard was when I grossly underestimated the braking power of those disc brakes. Sure a lot more powerful than the rim brakes on my road bike or the disc brakes on my hybrid.
    OK, I haven't been down the newly redone path, and, yes, I would likely go 35 - even though the speed limit is 15, as I recall.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    OK, I haven't been down the newly redone path, and, yes, I would likely go 35 - even though the speed limit is 15, as I recall.
    Going that fast and fiddling around with stuff is NOT cool

On another note, I covet getting a speeding ticket to hang on the wall in the garage by my bike bench!
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Going that fast and fiddling around with stuff is NOT cool

On another note, I covet getting a speeding ticket to hang on the wall in the garage by my bike bench!
    Considering your post about a deliberate foolhardy escapade I find your judgmental comment about my escaping from the consequences of a reflex action ironic.

And you covet a trophy for going too fast in a School Zone?

????