For those who need to get up to speed: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-is-premature
For others who already know the basic story:
Here's what I now know. It was actually a case of three students being involved. One who was upset with me because of a grade given, and then there were two who were spuring him on to do something really stupid. Apparently the student who made the post told his "friends" that to him I was no longer his favorite teacher, in fact to him I was dead. They suggested he actually use that thought and find a way to make people think I was deceased. Long story short, almost any student can find my laptop in the classroom attached to the SmartBoard, and I had my setting for BikeForums so that I don't have to log in each time I visit. It was just a matter of their going to my "favorites" and picking a discussion forum. All three are under disciplinary review.
Here's what I've learned from alll of this:
1. I do need to pay more attention to my own cyber security than in the past. Being an "open book" has some real liabilities when someone wants to do damage.
2. At some point a post of my demise will be real. So, I'm even more aware that I've got to make the most of today. It's the only one I can count on.
3. My sense that you can have a cyber community was not false. There are people behind these posts and many of you have shared enough of who you are that I feel a bond.
4. I appreciate how quickly Tom S. and the other moderators stepped in to lock things down.
5. Finally, I feel blessed to have others out there that care about what happens or doesn't happen to me. It's a remarkable gift for which I am truly thankful.
Here's what I want to know.... How do I change my login name? It feels as if I need to let NOS88 drift away after what has happened. I'm thinking maybe "Ghostrider."