Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
  1. #1
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Going clipless-not for the reasons you may think - advice on shoes w/ large toe box

    As some, if not many, may know, I'm diabetic. As a diabetic, I have to be careful of my extremities, especially my feet. Right now, I use running shoes or walking shoes and toe clips(which I do not tighten). During this winter, in an effort to keep my feet warm enough to ride the distances I wanted(33 to 45 miles), I used non-meshed walking shoes and double wool socks(and toe warmers if cold enough). Anyway, I developed an issue with my second toe on my left foot and have had some bruising on the front of the big toe. I've adjusted things to keep things loose and not have pressure on my toes and have wiggle room. I'm finding that the toeclip is part of the cause(especially for the bruising on the big toe). I'm also finding, since these are soft soled shoes, that around the 70 mile mark, I develop a hot spot. Since I plan on doing more centuries like the two I just completed, a change needs to be made.

    With clipless shoes and pedals, I'll have a firm sole and shouldn't develop the hot spot since the force will be more spread throughout a larger area of the foot. Also, there won't be a clip putting pressure on my toe(s). But, as a diabetic, I need to be sure that any shoe I have has a large toe box so as not to put pressure on the toes and to have the wiggle room to maintain circulation. I will state, that I want to get MTB shoes so I can walk normally and not like a duck or ice skate--using road shoes. I will also be getting pedals that are clips on one side and platforms on the other to have options--probably the Shimano A530.

    My budget for shoes is probably no more than $150, but I really would rather spend a good amount less.

    Remember:


    --I'm diabetic and need a large toe box.

    --I am only considering MTB shoes.

    --Budget: < $150 -- less would be better


    Please don't bother posting if you are just going to try to convince me to stay with clips(cages). The toe clip, and I keep it loose, is causing part of the issue.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 05-19-13 at 06:57 AM.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  2. #2
    Banned. DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,924
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Shimano bicycling sandals for about 10 years, and simply love them. With proper socks, etc., I use them year-round. I have a very wide front part of my foot, which gets extremely irritated by tight shoes and these accommodate me nicely. And, I have no problem with stubbing my toe or anything like that. They extend out far enough to provide protection.

    http://media.nashbar.com/images/nash...6-BR-ANGLE.jpg
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-19-13 at 06:52 AM.

  3. #3
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    25,871
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot spots are normal for new LD riders. Takes more LD rides to get over them.

    Your toe problem is anothe issue.

    Sounds as if your shoes are too loose, not the clips.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Hot spots are normal for new LD riders. Takes more LD rides to get over them.
    ....
    I've done lots of LD rides(just go look at my posts in Did You Ride Today) Since the middle of last, if not sooner, I was doing metric centuries, often 2x a week, and leading(12 weeks leading) to the first miler century in April, I road 70 and 80 milers and a century(12 days prior to the TdC) beforehand as well as doing 45 milers.


    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    ...Your toe problem is anothe issue.

    Sounds as if your shoes are too loose, not the clips.
    Developed when I started this year's Winter riding on the road bike. Last Winter, I was using the comfort/hybrid and NO toe-clips/cages. I also ride greater distances now than I did on the former bike. In the Winter, I think I had my feet bound to tight(shoes, socks, warmers, and pressure from the clip) and the doc feels this way also. Believe me, the shoes were not loose when I was developing the issue.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I have been using Shimano bicycling sandals for about 10 years, and simply love them. With proper socks, etc., I use them year-round. I have a very wide front part of my foot, which gets extremely irritated by tight shoes and these accommodate me nicely. And, I have no problem with stubbing my toe or anything like that. They extend out far enough to provide protection.
    Not sure how I possible could keep my feet warm when it gets low enough. I'm diabetic and the circulation, though not bad, is still comprimised. They look interesting, but I'm unsure if sandals would help(wind mostly), keep my feet warm.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 05-19-13 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Removed a link 10 Wheels posted in my quote per his request.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  6. #6
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  7. #7
    Banned. DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,924
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Not sure how I possible could keep my feet warm when it gets low enough. I'm diabetic and the circulation, though not bad, is still comprimised. They look interesting, but I'm unsure if sandals would help(wind mostly), keep my feet warm.
    Wool socks are great.

  8. #8
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    5,293
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the Specialized shoes. When you do get your shoes try moving the cleats all the way back, that should do it, good luck.
    George

  9. #9
    Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Schenectady NY & Wilmington NC
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Posts
    1,630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a broad foot in the toe area The only shoe brand that have ever fit comfortably has been Specialized's MTB shoes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a diabetic too and I also ride long distance.

    Finding shoes that fit and are comfortable both on and off the saddle is imperative in order to avoid future problems.

    I tried many different shoes and they all hurt my feet even after a medium ride. I finally settled on my current cycling shoes, the SIDI Ergo 2. I know that these are beyond your stated budget (actually they don't even make them anymore) but these shoes are supremely comfortable--I can ride on them all day long and my feet do not bother me.

    If you can pull money out of another expense (I stopped going to Starbucks to save the extra money and now my wallet is fatter and I am thinner) it might be well worth it. Sounds like you are putting on a lot of LD rides, so you owe it to your feet and to your overall health to get a good pair of shoes.

    Just a thought.

    Good luck.
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  11. #11
    Senior Member climberguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    central ohio
    My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Shimano and Specialized road shoes give me plenty of room in the toe box. I suggest you try on some of their models in your price range. Shoes are important, as you clearly know, so this is one area where it is worth going a bit over your original budget to find something that works well for you. You can save money in other areas of cycling gear. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
    And I did it all clean.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northern NY...Brownville
    My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Posts
    1,789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A properly fitting and comfortable pair of "touring" type shoes with clipless pedals would work perfectly. Check out your local shop. You should be able to buy both for well under your max budget...I'd suspect easily within 100.

  13. #13
    johnliu@earthlink.net jyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland OR
    My Bikes
    61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997
    Posts
    4,318
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the foot warmer innersoles work? I'm not clear if they are gimmicks or for real, but they are inexpensive to try out.

    I'd also consider using booties. Cycling shoes are not designed as cold weather footwear, no insulation to speak of, so wrapping them in a wind proof layer of neoprene or fabric would be helpful. That's what I found when riding in the winter.
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 2 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    I am a diabetic too and I also ride long distance.

    Finding shoes that fit and are comfortable both on and off the saddle is imperative in order to avoid future problems.

    I tried many different shoes and they all hurt my feet even after a medium ride. I finally settled on my current cycling shoes, the SIDI Ergo 2. I know that these are beyond your stated budget (actually they don't even make them anymore) but these shoes are supremely comfortable--I can ride on them all day long and my feet do not bother me.

    If you can pull money out of another expense (I stopped going to Starbucks to save the extra money and now my wallet is fatter and I am thinner) it might be well worth it. Sounds like you are putting on a lot of LD rides, so you owe it to your feet and to your overall health to get a good pair of shoes.

    Just a thought.

    Good luck.
    I was warned not to try Sidis because they'll ruin the experience you have any other shoe you try or use. I just don't see how I can increase the budget to the amount Sidis demand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    A properly fitting and comfortable pair of "touring" type shoes with clipless pedals would work perfectly. Check out your local shop. You should be able to buy both for well under your max budget...I'd suspect easily within 100.
    From what I understand, in terms of sole firmness, road shoes are the firmest, MTB shoes come next, and touring shoes are the least. I think I'll want the middle version.

    Quote Originally Posted by jyl View Post
    Do the foot warmer innersoles work? I'm not clear if they are gimmicks or for real, but they are inexpensive to try out.

    I'd also consider using booties. Cycling shoes are not designed as cold weather footwear, no insulation to speak of, so wrapping them in a wind proof layer of neoprene or fabric would be helpful. That's what I found when riding in the winter.
    I actually used toe warmers(chemical) during this last cold season and they do work/help.

    Thanks--I was aware that cycling shoes aren't designed for cold weather. When it gets colder, I'll try booties(maybe even neoprene socks as well), but I may invest in winter cycling shoes later. I've even read about guys duct taping the vents on the bottom.

    I appreciate all the input and keep it coming if you have ideas/suggestions.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 05-19-13 at 09:12 AM. Reason: added more information
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  15. #15
    Senior Member GaryPitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gladeville, TN
    Posts
    478
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had hot foot until I went clipless a few weeks back. I got the Specialized Expert shoes with the CF soles and you would think they would be stiff enough it would spread the force out well helping not to be a problem. I have foot beds coming this week to see if they help.

    That being said, my 40 miler yesterday I didn't have a hot spot problem. I tried to keep my cadence up and not mash and I think it helped. The ride prior, the balls of my feet were burning pretty good after 30.

    I'm still a rookie in the great scheme of things and have only been riding for two and a half years or so. I still have a lot to learn. I never had a hot spot problem before going clipless even on 50 and 60 mile rides. YMMV
    2013 Trek Domane 5.9, 2013 Specialized Sirrus Limited

  16. #16
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On foot warmth. Keep out the wet and the wind and they stay warm. Shoe covers work but so do SealSkinz socks.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  17. #17
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,200
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can increase your budget by another $30, this may fit the bill.
    The .5 sizes are wide; ex. 46 is standard width - 46.5 is wide width.

    Sidi 2013 Men's Duran Mountain Cycling Shoes

    http://www.amazon.com/Sidi-Duran-Mou...=pd_sbs_shoe_8

  18. #18
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,979
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My solution ended up being using bmx pedals and keen sandals. Its the greatest foot comfort I have had since the days of calfskin shoes that molded to my feet in the clips and straps days. But I still feel slightly guilty about no wearing true cyclist shoes. But I can still maintain a cadence of 90 with no issues, have ridden up to 60 miles rides, and have wonderfully comfortable feet at temps down to 40 F if I wear wool socks.

    But I long for the old days of Dietto Pettro's soaked in water that molded to you feet like fine leather gloves.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  19. #19
    Senior Member John_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Posts
    3,300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As another daily, long distance rider, but not a diabetic, I would also suggest looking into the Specialized MTB shoes. I have been riding with the BG Sport Pro shoes for the past three years and have yet to have a hot spot. While they have a stiffness index of 5, I have yet to get the soles to bend, even squatting down while trying to bend at the toes. They are very comfortable while riding and walking in them and they have plenty of room so I can wear my thick, white cotton socks in comfort. I know, cotton socks are not allowed! In our winter, when my feet really get cold, I use either thermal socks or heated socks and the shoes are still very comfortable without being tight. They cost $100.00 MSRP the last time I checked.



    I'm also riding on Shimano SPD M520 pedals because I really like the double sided entry design. If I need to use regular shoes for short rides or rides in heavy, stop and go traffic, I use my Deckster platform pedal adaptors.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

    2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

  20. #20
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,603
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shimano SH-RT32 SPD walkable road touring shoe uses a "Volume + last for a more accommodating toe box."

    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...road/2/SH-RT32

  21. #21
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,233
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keens got some commuting shoes too, but I've never had any but their sandals, first ones I got 2nd hand
    by having B width feet they fit Me. not the 1st buyer.



    Has the feeling gone out of your Feet? It was one of My Father's ['20-'00] Diabetic issues..



    Im OK with grip pin platform pedals .. my Birkenstocks have a nice wide toe space..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 05-19-13 at 03:21 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    ...Has the feeling gone out of your Feet? It was one of My Father's ['20-'00] Diabetic issues....
    No, I feel any trauma. I'm sure I have some neuropathy and some decrease circulation, but it's still good in all fronts--I have feeling throughout the foot and toes. Any trauma to the feet I sense. If I didn't, I doubt I'd sense the hot foot or the toe issue.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

    My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

    My Strava account

  23. #23
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,233
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can find these to try on?

    http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...0pedal/****ake

  24. #24
    Senior Member Kactus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    My Bikes
    1974 Motobecane Champion Team, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1983 Sekai 4000, 1985 CIÖCC Designer 84
    Posts
    912
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    As another daily, long distance rider, but not a diabetic, I would also suggest looking into the Specialized MTB shoes. I have been riding with the BG Sport Pro shoes for the past three years and have yet to have a hot spot.


    While I don't have diabetes I do have toe "issues" and also need a roomy toe box. I have these shoes and have been satisfied with them.
    Life is an illusion...

  25. #25
    Don from Austin Texas
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Posts
    1,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    As some, if not many, may know, I'm diabetic. As a diabetic, I have to be careful of my extremities, especially my feet. Right now, I use running shoes or walking shoes and toe clips(which I do not tighten). During this winter, in an effort to keep my feet warm enough to ride the distances I wanted(33 to 45 miles), I used non-meshed walking shoes and double wool socks(and toe warmers if cold enough). Anyway, I developed an issue with my second toe on my left foot and have had some bruising on the front of the big toe. I've adjusted things to keep things loose and not have pressure on my toes and have wiggle room. I'm finding that the toeclip is part of the cause(especially for the bruising on the big toe). I'm also finding, since these are soft soled shoes, that around the 70 mile mark, I develop a hot spot. Since I plan on doing more centuries like the two I just completed, a change needs to be made.

    With clipless shoes and pedals, I'll have a firm sole and shouldn't develop the hot spot since the force will be more spread throughout a larger area of the foot. Also, there won't be a clip putting pressure on my toe(s). But, as a diabetic, I need to be sure that any shoe I have has a large toe box so as not to put pressure on the toes and to have the wiggle room to maintain circulation. I will state, that I want to get MTB shoes so I can walk normally and not like a duck or ice skate--using road shoes. I will also be getting pedals that are clips on one side and platforms on the other to have options--probably the Shimano A530.

    My budget for shoes is probably no more than $150, but I really would rather spend a good amount less.

    Remember:


    --I'm diabetic and need a large toe box.

    --I am only considering MTB shoes.

    --Budget: < $150 -- less would be better


    Please don't bother posting if you are just going to try to convince me to stay with clips(cages). The toe clip, and I keep it loose, is causing part of the issue.
    Here is a totally different approach. Platform pedals. I have very wide feet and high arches and it is hard to find shoes that fit me properly. But I can find well-fitting steel-toed work shoes. These typically come with good arch support and a safety shank -- to protect a construction worker from nail penetration etc. The stiff shank is excellent at spreading load and the toes have plenty of room. I hear people say you can't ride effectively without some form of retention system but I disagree.

    At over 65 years old, I have ridden two centuries -- each plus another 15 miles that night -- with platform pedals. These are my favorite: http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...m-Pedals,.html

    The health of your feet is certainly worth more than a 2 or 5 or whatever % speed difference foot retention makes.

    Don in Austin
    Last edited by Don in Austin; 05-19-13 at 06:24 PM. Reason: content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •