User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The price of a too long lay-off

Mrs. Grouch and I took the Kettweisel train out for our longest ride to date - about 26 miles. It went well. Lots of kitted out roadies smiled and waved and even stopped and talked with us. Almost everybody thinks that the Kettweisel train is cool. That's the good news.

The BEST news is that the mental anxiety that has plagued me since my elbow breaking incident was completely gone. I'm enjoying the Ketts.

The bad news is we were real real slow, which didn't bother me, and we were real real tired at the end, which did. I was so tired that I let Mrs. Grouch drive the car home.

Next week end we have a festival type ride scheduled. It's back-to-back 30 miles per day on the Katy Trail with lots of music stops. Doesn't sound like a very hard ride, but I'm not sure that I'm up to it.

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gets easier after the first ride back. Try to put in some time on the bike this week (taper toward the end of the week) and you may find you feel up to it. Good luck.
    And I did it all clean.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Building back myself, it is hard. I am hoping to ride 85 next weekend, my longest ride this year has been 28 and I was hoping to get to 45 today but the weather is crap. I think I will suffer next week...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't ride much at all in the past year. Mostly due to three bad injuries: first to the ligaments in my left knee and then to my left thigh, and then again to my left knee. Then came the awful, long winter.

I've been riding again the past month - two or three 20 mile early morning rides a week and I can't believe how bad I've got. Not my lungs, but a lack of leg power - I reckon I'm 10 to 15% slower.

I hope it's not a permanent drop in strength, and just through lack of use, but I'm going to have to put the work in if I want to improve.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that the sun is up early enough, I'm back on my pre-breakfast exercise rides, alternating with sprint-like errand running. The combo seems to be paying off, since I just did a 20 mile loop yesterday in two hours... including all those stupid half-closed mupgates, stops for pictures and sightseeing, grocery shopping, and one honking huge wait for a freight train. Suddenly my planned ride to the Arch (at 26 miles) doesn't seem all that undoable. I had my sights on the halfway point for that trip; the Chain of Rocks Bridge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you are getting the Kett train out and that the anxiety is under control for you. Enjoy the miles.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my best advice is to add some significant hard push to each ride so as to stress yourself a bit, which is the basis for your body adapting by getting more fit. It might be riding longer, or riding harder. If you do the same 20mi ride, toward the end of the ride try a few sprints for a minute long, as hard as you can with recovery time in between. If you're coming home really tired it may be due to the fact you are already pushing yourself, which is good, but it could also be due to being dehydrated or not starting out with enough fuel in you. Be sure you're plenty hydrated before you leave and drink/snack a bit along the way to ensure you're not running low on energy. When I first got back to biking a 30mi ride really required me to drink a full bottle of water and have some snack along the way. Now, not nearly so much. Just keep it up and you'll continue to adapt and get stronger but do take care to not overdo it. That may be worse than the alternative.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about trikes is, you don't have to maintain a minimum speed for balance, so go as slow as you like.
    I can see the possibility of a rig like yours for my missus and me in the future.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The price is that it sets you way back. Try taking a few years off and find yourself just about starting over on the motor buildup again. I'm slow still right now. I think I might've fractured a bone in my heel a few weeks ago but I've been Ace bandaging it and wrapping "Moleskin" padding around the heel taking the pressure instead of going to the doctor because I'm afraid she'll put it in a cast so I can't ride. Seems to be healing but it doesn't look like it will be back to normal walking anytime soon.

But I rode about 60 today. Certainly not mashing though.