Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Update on the adventure of my reported demise...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

For those who need to get up to speed: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-is-premature

For others who already know the basic story:

Here's what I now know. It was actually a case of three students being involved. One who was upset with me because of a grade given, and then there were two who were spuring him on to do something really stupid. Apparently the student who made the post told his "friends" that to him I was no longer his favorite teacher, in fact to him I was dead. They suggested he actually use that thought and find a way to make people think I was deceased. Long story short, almost any student can find my laptop in the classroom attached to the SmartBoard, and I had my setting for BikeForums so that I don't have to log in each time I visit. It was just a matter of their going to my "favorites" and picking a discussion forum. All three are under disciplinary review.

Here's what I've learned from alll of this:

1. I do need to pay more attention to my own cyber security than in the past. Being an "open book" has some real liabilities when someone wants to do damage.

2. At some point a post of my demise will be real. So, I'm even more aware that I've got to make the most of today. It's the only one I can count on.

3. My sense that you can have a cyber community was not false. There are people behind these posts and many of you have shared enough of who you are that I feel a bond.

4. I appreciate how quickly Tom S. and the other moderators stepped in to lock things down.

5. Finally, I feel blessed to have others out there that care about what happens or doesn't happen to me. It's a remarkable gift for which I am truly thankful.

Here's what I want to know.... How do I change my login name? It feels as if I need to let NOS88 drift away after what has happened. I'm thinking maybe "Ghostrider."

Last edited by NOS88; 05-18-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tom S. can answer that, others have done it; I'd recommend "GhostRider88" for a LITTLE continuity...!
Old 05-18-13, 01:24 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I believe the moniker "Lazarus" has been touted! I wouldn't go too hard on the idio... students. In these modern times, this is a relatively small prank, and it sure beats having them shoot people and blow things up, or even running up purchases under your name. Though I don't guess this makes you feel better about relative strangers getting into your personal effects and disarranging a part of your life, while leaving you feeling vulnerable.
Old 05-18-13, 01:48 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Nos,

You may also want to put a bit more security on your laptop if you are going to continue keeping it where everyone knows where it's at. I like the fingerprint features on most of the newer laptops. Works very well and it's safer than using a password only to log into the operating system.

I'm glad to hear that they are giving the three students involved some disciplinary actions. Hopefully it's harsh enough to make them think twice the next time they come up with a screwball idea, such as this one.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-18-13, 02:18 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
DeadManCycling88.
Old 05-18-13, 02:28 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
DeadManCycling88.

I like Lazarus, as well!
And if you are able to see the humour in this situation yet, see post #34 in the "Sometimes I Think I'm Too Old" thread.

Just know that we are all delighted that you are still here with us and look forward to your future posts!
Old 05-18-13, 02:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This teaches all of us a valuable lesson. "This could never happen to me" doesn't cut it anymore. We are all responsible for our own cyber security. It' s easy for folks these days to gain access to our online bank account, social media page, or other personal information, even without leaving the door wide open. While I still have a couple of years to go to officially post on this forum, I'm still glad you're okay. Live life to the fullest and stave off the real announcement as long as you can. The best way to do that IMHO is to embrace those closest to you and keep doing the things that make you happiest, like riding your bike (which also makes you healthier).

Last edited by kenji666; 05-18-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-18-13, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are luck that they did not post "b*mb making material that would draw the attention of some governmental agencies... That would have probably caused all sorts of grief for you.
Old 05-18-13, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Years ago, Tom helped to change mine. I'm sure he's the one to get a hold of. Good luck and it's good to hear everything turned out good.
Old 05-18-13, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8310 Post(s)
Liked 9,104 Times in 4,500 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
There’s no point in changing your username. Simply change the password and use additional characters, then ALWAYS lock out your computer so no one can access it. Had you locked it out, this episode couldn’t have occurred.
He wasn't thinking of changing it for security reasons, just a new chapter, put this episode behind him sort of thing.
Old 05-18-13, 04:20 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I confess I did not read all the material but I did read the original thread that was posted. If I recall, the words posted about your demise touched me. Somehow this seems like a prank that has gotten out of hand. I don't know the whole truth but the offender could have done a lot more damage if he wanted to.
Old 05-18-13, 04:38 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
NOS, I already told you my thoughts but I am in the group that says don't change your name. That is giving in to the idiots (I'll say it, my problem) we all know and love you, by NOS88, You were one of the first to make me feel comfortable. Its your name, Just my thoughts, I'll still feel the same regardless of what your screen name is.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-18-13, 04:58 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The kid may not have hacked his account but merely got in here because NOS is always logged in. He could log out of his account and re-log in each time or secure his laptop by logging out anytime he leaves it alone. You can even configure it so that when you close the lid, it goes to sleep but when you re-awaken the notebook, you have to re-log in. I don't know--I didn't get the impression that the kid actually "hacked" his account, he just hijacked or got in because Nos was already logged in--very different than hacking--but maybe the kid did--only Nos knows.
Old 05-18-13, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Why change your username? It changes on every single one of your posts that's ever appeared here, and that creates quite a lot of confusion for people searching the archives to see your new name on one post, and your original on another where that post is quoted.

In a way, you would be "giving in" to the perpetrators of this cyber crime by changing your name.// they would have actually won their claim that you are dead.

If that's what you want to do, fine. But then think about the effect you would have by going home to your wife one day and saying "I am not Bradley any more, I am Jonathon".
Old 05-18-13, 06:39 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I believe the moniker "Lazarus" has been touted! I wouldn't go too hard on the idio... students. In these modern times, this is a relatively small prank, and it sure beats having them shoot people and blow things up, or even running up purchases under your name. Though I don't guess this makes you feel better about relative strangers getting into your personal effects and disarranging a part of your life, while leaving you feeling vulnerable.
Serious prank deserves seriuos discipline
Old 05-18-13, 06:47 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What about just changing your password? That's what it's for.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-18-13, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the "don't change your user-name" camp. Just change your password and increase your personal security procedures. I am very security-conscious. I work for a very large, global corporation which devotes millions of dollars each year towards keeping its IT systems secure. We receive constant reminders to obey simple, yet effective, routine security procedures. Now, anytime I am going to be away from my desk for anything longer than, say, a minute or two, I just automatically lock my computer (CTL-ALT-DELETE). The five or so seconds it takes to log back on when I return is worth it for the heightened security this provides.
Old 05-18-13, 11:41 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
... I'm thinking maybe "Ghostrider."

Negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Glad to read that you're alive and well. If you don't like Lazarus, you could try Phoenix88, or whatever, but yeah, keeping tabs on a secure password is your best bet, as well as locking your computer.
Old 05-19-13, 02:54 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
Why change your username? It changes on every single one of your posts that's ever appeared here, and that creates quite a lot of confusion for people searching the archives to see your new name on one post, and your original on another where that post is quoted.

In a way, you would be "giving in" to the perpetrators of this cyber crime by changing your name.// they would have actually won their claim that you are dead.

If that's what you want to do, fine. But then think about the effect you would have by going home to your wife one day and saying "I am not Bradley any more, I am Jonathon".

This. Keep your current username and change your PW.
Old 05-19-13, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm newby here, but I was kind of used to seeing the NOS88 use name. I always thought it was very appropriate for the Over 50 forum because I always thought of "New Old Stock", a common term for all kinds of fixing up, cars, motorcycles, scooters, bikes. I guess it's not something for us to vote on, but I would miss it.
Old 05-19-13, 03:48 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 746 Posts
I'd go with "F4U" in honor of your student.
Old 05-19-13, 04:35 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My 2 cents: keep the name.
Old 05-19-13, 04:37 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by bruce19
I'd go with "F4U" in honor of your student.
????

Old 05-19-13, 09:05 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Banded Krait
I am in the "don't change your user-name" camp. Just change your password and increase your personal security procedures. I am very security-conscious. I work for a very large, global corporation which devotes millions of dollars each year towards keeping its IT systems secure. We receive constant reminders to obey simple, yet effective, routine security procedures. Now, anytime I am going to be away from my desk for anything longer than, say, a minute or two, I just automatically lock my computer (CTL-ALT-DELETE). The five or so seconds it takes to log back on when I return is worth it for the heightened security this provides.
Originally Posted by k7baixo
This. Keep your current username and change your PW.
Originally Posted by Rowan

Originally Posted by Clawed
I'm newby here, but I was kind of used to seeing the NOS88 use name. I always thought it was very appropriate for the Over 50 forum because I always thought of "New Old Stock", a common term for all kinds of fixing up, cars, motorcycles, scooters, bikes. I guess it's not something for us to vote on, but I would miss it.
You got it right. That was the intent... New Old Stock.

Originally Posted by billydonn
My 2 cents: keep the name.
OK, NOS88 it shall remain.
Old 05-20-13, 05:55 AM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by NOS88
You got it right. That was the intent... New Old Stock.

OK, NOS88 it shall remain.
This is what I really wanted to hear!

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.