Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   169 miles yesterday @ Real Ale Ride, Blanco,Texas. Hardly felt hot tired or thirsty! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/890554-169-miles-yesterday-real-ale-ride-blanco-texas-hardly-felt-hot-tired-thirsty.html)

Don in Austin 05-19-13 11:53 AM

169 miles yesterday @ Real Ale Ride, Blanco,Texas. Hardly felt hot tired or thirsty!

I boasted about this to several riders I met on a group ride this morning. There were 1700 cyclists at the Real Ale ride with official distance options of 15, 30, 50, 65 and 85 miles, but I put in 169 miles fully documented. Telling other cyclists about this, I received reactions ranging from awe to disbelief. The sceptics were more willing to take my word for it when I explained my ride was a 2009 Honda Fit with cold AC and magnetic signs that said "SAG." :) :)

For those of you who have never volunteered, I have done it several times and find it very rewarding.

And the Bicycle Sports Shop in Austin, Texas does a kick-ass job of organizing a big supported ride. Lots of challenges with all the different distance options. 2-way radios dropped out at times. There was more than one injury requiring 911 and a meat wagon to be called, and even one that required an airlift. I brought more riders in than I have ever done before. There were riders who don't go out on a regular basis and riders who were from flatter environments biting off more than they could chew. But there was never a cross word over the radio -- volunteers and BSS staff stayed mellow and calm with respect and courtesy to all. Not to say there might not have been a few f-bombs off-mike, of course. :) :)

Don in Austin

big john 05-19-13 12:56 PM

Good job, Don. It's people like you who make these rides possible.

MinnBobber 05-19-13 03:13 PM

Good work. Sag drivers are very appreciated. I did a 7 day ride in Wisc where my wife was the sag driver. She enjoyed it and found it very interesting. Bob in MN

Mort Canard 05-19-13 04:22 PM

Don,
Atta boy! I did a metric century today (actually 66 miles) and my legs are currently shredded. Unfortunately the first 30 or so miles were all down wind. At the far point a lot of folks realized that they were in for a struggle to get back to the start/finish with 21 mph SE winds and 30 mph gusts. I saw the SAGs bring in a number of riders and saw a lot more folks struggle in as I was eating lunch who looked a lot more used up than I felt.

I knew several bike shop mechanics and owners who were volunteering their time today and thanked them for their time and efforts. Good on ya for doing some of the leg work to make these rides possible. :thumb:

Don in Austin 05-19-13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gnosis (Post 15642854)
Congratulations Don in Austin, as 169 miles is no small achievement. :thumb: What were you riding and how long did it take?

Uh...might want to re-read original post and get the real story behind the sensational headline..... :)

Don in Austin

Rwc5830 05-19-13 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Don in Austin (Post 15643025)
Uh...might want to re-read original post and get the real story behind the sensational headline..... :)

Don in Austin

Yeah, Don, I think you got em ;-) I've done a little SAGing and it is really rewarding. Anyway, Great job sounds like you had fun!

The Blanco area is nice, I did the San Antonio TDC, 100 mile last weekend.

NOS88 05-19-13 09:17 PM

I'm guessing sag drivers hear some interesting stories!

vic303 05-20-13 08:58 AM

Don, thanks for running a SAG vehicle! I know riders must have appreciated it. I used to volunteer for the old John Hobbs Flint Hills Death Ride, running a SAG stop. It was a blast!

Velo Dog 05-22-13 03:40 PM

My wife and I stayed in Blanco a couple of years ago on vacation, and at breakfast I talked to two guys and a woman who were riding from San Diego to Baltimore. I didn't bother telling them about my 50-miler the day before....

cyclinfool 05-22-13 04:16 PM

Your good in my book for that one Don, I promise to not make fun of the platform pedals and steel toed boots, well I can't go that far. :D

Biker395 05-22-13 04:24 PM

You know, I have to agree. The all-too-few times I've done SAG support, I have really, really enjoyed it.

And I'll say this ... of all the people out there on the ride, my heart is most with the people struggling along at the back. I'll stick around and help them finish anyway I can. :thumb:

gcottay 05-22-13 05:52 PM

In my book you SAG volunteers are right up there with sweep riders. Even when we don't need your services your presence enhances the ride.

Altbrewer 05-23-13 07:21 AM

Don, thanks for your work. I did the ride and was very impressed with the organization and volunteers. Glad I didn't need to call on you, though.

BluesDawg 05-23-13 07:43 AM

:thumb:
A good SAG driver is blessing to a ride organizer. The volunteer staff is the backbone of a charity ride.

Rick@OCRR 05-23-13 08:06 AM

I've driven SAG on several Double Centuries and it's always been rewarding to help the riders carry on . . . or give them a ride back if that's not possible. My last SAG duty was the Joshua Tree Double which had brutal heat and very dry headwinds for the last 75 miles.

Water and ice were most appreciated by the riders!

Rick / OCRR

Dudelsack 05-23-13 08:26 AM

A brewery-sponsored ride?

OMG!!!

That stuff is almost as dangerous as yoga classes.

Yo Spiff 05-23-13 08:29 AM

I drove SAG one day on the Easter Hill tour last year. Had lots of fun and it was a great opportunity to photograph the event.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/6...ed022275_n.jpg
Easter Hill Country Tour 2012 by Yo Spiff, on Flickr

Biker395 05-23-13 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 15657611)
I've driven SAG on several Double Centuries and it's always been rewarding to help the riders carry on . . . or give them a ride back if that's not possible. My last SAG duty was the Joshua Tree Double which had brutal heat and very dry headwinds for the last 75 miles.

Water and ice were most appreciated by the riders!

Rick / OCRR

Yea, I heard about that, Rick. You guys were much appreciated out there!