Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169 miles yesterday @ Real Ale Ride, Blanco,Texas. Hardly felt hot tired or thirsty!

I boasted about this to several riders I met on a group ride this morning. There were 1700 cyclists at the Real Ale ride with official distance options of 15, 30, 50, 65 and 85 miles, but I put in 169 miles fully documented. Telling other cyclists about this, I received reactions ranging from awe to disbelief. The sceptics were more willing to take my word for it when I explained my ride was a 2009 Honda Fit with cold AC and magnetic signs that said "SAG."

For those of you who have never volunteered, I have done it several times and find it very rewarding.

And the Bicycle Sports Shop in Austin, Texas does a kick-ass job of organizing a big supported ride. Lots of challenges with all the different distance options. 2-way radios dropped out at times. There was more than one injury requiring 911 and a meat wagon to be called, and even one that required an airlift. I brought more riders in than I have ever done before. There were riders who don't go out on a regular basis and riders who were from flatter environments biting off more than they could chew. But there was never a cross word over the radio -- volunteers and BSS staff stayed mellow and calm with respect and courtesy to all. Not to say there might not have been a few f-bombs off-mike, of course.

Don in Austin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Don. It's people like you who make these rides possible.

My Bikes
    Serotta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work. Sag drivers are very appreciated. I did a 7 day ride in Wisc where my wife was the sag driver. She enjoyed it and found it very interesting. Bob in MN
    MinnBobber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don,
    Atta boy! I did a metric century today (actually 66 miles) and my legs are currently shredded. Unfortunately the first 30 or so miles were all down wind. At the far point a lot of folks realized that they were in for a struggle to get back to the start/finish with 21 mph SE winds and 30 mph gusts. I saw the SAGs bring in a number of riders and saw a lot more folks struggle in as I was eating lunch who looked a lot more used up than I felt.

I knew several bike shop mechanics and owners who were volunteering their time today and thanked them for their time and efforts. Good on ya for doing some of the leg work to make these rides possible.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    Congratulations Don in Austin, as 169 miles is no small achievement. What were you riding and how long did it take?
    Uh...might want to re-read original post and get the real story behind the sensational headline.....

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    Uh...might want to re-read original post and get the real story behind the sensational headline.....

Don in Austin
    Yeah, Don, I think you got em ;-) I've done a little SAGing and it is really rewarding. Anyway, Great job sounds like you had fun!

The Blanco area is nice, I did the San Antonio TDC, 100 mile last weekend.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing sag drivers hear some interesting stories!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don, thanks for running a SAG vehicle! I know riders must have appreciated it. I used to volunteer for the old John Hobbs Flint Hills Death Ride, running a SAG stop. It was a blast!
    The Monkeywrangler's Blog
    2007 Bachetta Giro 26/700c - The Yellow Peril!
    Fisher HKEK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I stayed in Blanco a couple of years ago on vacation, and at breakfast I talked to two guys and a woman who were riding from San Diego to Baltimore. I didn't bother telling them about my 50-miler the day before....

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your good in my book for that one Don, I promise to not make fun of the platform pedals and steel toed boots, well I can't go that far.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I have to agree. The all-too-few times I've done SAG support, I have really, really enjoyed it.

And I'll say this ... of all the people out there on the ride, my heart is most with the people struggling along at the back. I'll stick around and help them finish anyway I can.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my book you SAG volunteers are right up there with sweep riders. Even when we don't need your services your presence enhances the ride.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Motobecane Vitus 979 frame build, Bridgestone MB-1, S-works Roubaix, cheap dept store fixie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don, thanks for your work. I did the ride and was very impressed with the organization and volunteers. Glad I didn't need to call on you, though.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good SAG driver is blessing to a ride organizer. The volunteer staff is the backbone of a charity ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've driven SAG on several Double Centuries and it's always been rewarding to help the riders carry on . . . or give them a ride back if that's not possible. My last SAG duty was the Joshua Tree Double which had brutal heat and very dry headwinds for the last 75 miles.

Water and ice were most appreciated by the riders!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A brewery-sponsored ride?

OMG!!!

That stuff is almost as dangerous as yoga classes.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove SAG one day on the Easter Hill tour last year. Had lots of fun and it was a great opportunity to photograph the event.

Easter Hill Country Tour 2012 by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I've driven SAG on several Double Centuries and it's always been rewarding to help the riders carry on . . . or give them a ride back if that's not possible. My last SAG duty was the Joshua Tree Double which had brutal heat and very dry headwinds for the last 75 miles.

Water and ice were most appreciated by the riders!

Rick / OCRR
    Yea, I heard about that, Rick. You guys were much appreciated out there!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com