Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-13, 02:59 PM   #1
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Strava

Last Friday Mrs. Grouch and I had dinner with our son and his family. He told me about the Strava App for his phone and tried to sell me on it. It compares your performance on a certain stretch of road and ranks you with other riders. On one particular hill section he was 79 out of 337 riders so that's in the top quarter which is pretty good. I can see why he's excited about that.

The thing he's overlooking is I already know how my performance compares with other riders and I'm not particularly interested in putting that information out for the world to see.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 03:26 PM   #2
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Last Friday Mrs. Grouch and I had dinner with our son and his family. He told me about the Strava App for his phone and tried to sell me on it. It compares your performance on a certain stretch of road and ranks you with other riders. On one particular hill section he was 79 out of 337 riders so that's in the top quarter which is pretty good. I can see why he's excited about that.

The thing he's overlooking is I already know how my performance compares with other riders and I'm not particularly interested in putting that information out for the world to see.
But it also allows you to follow friends and comment on their rides even if they are in different states. I personally take great delight it watching Dudelsack's progress as well as many others throughout the country from the 50+ group. My performance against others just got moved several pages when the pro tour came through last week. But then I wasn't all that high up on many segments anyway. But the thing I use the most is looking at my rides compared to me a few ,days, weeks or months ago. It isn't for everyone but it cuts down on the reports by MTB utility riders on how they past the local Cat 3 training ride on a 5500 foot climb. Much like the "show a picture or it didn't happen." We can now say, show me your Strava or it didn't happen.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 03:29 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stava does make for competitive riding and locally I have a friend that post all his Strava rides on Face book. He is good and I wish I could get his average ride speed downhill on some of his routes. BUT this KOM that it records on some section of the route and he gains quite a few for a day or so. This is due to another rider that is fitter and faster than him going out to beat every KOM that he does not hold.

Strava has it good points but when it gets this competitive- it is pointless.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 04:20 PM   #4
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Bikes: Trek CrossRip 3, Easy Racer Tour Easy LE,Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Well said stapfam well said,,,,
osco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 04:28 PM   #5
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing in Strava forces you to compete with anyone. You can keep rides private or use a pseudonym if you want.

Last edited by billydonn; 05-19-13 at 04:49 PM.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 04:39 PM   #6
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

Then just run the app while driving a moderate pace in your car....

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 05-19-13 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 04:53 PM   #7
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Stava does make for competitive riding and locally I have a friend that post all his Strava rides on Face book. He is good and I wish I could get his average ride speed downhill on some of his routes. BUT this KOM that it records on some section of the route and he gains quite a few for a day or so. This is due to another rider that is fitter and faster than him going out to beat every KOM that he does not hold.

Strava has it good points but when it gets this competitive- it is pointless.
I agree it can get extreme but only if you take it personally. I had some KOMs early and as soon as some of the big dogs found my segments I was toast. But I have also gained a new attitude about it and dialed it back a notch realizing there are a lot of good riders out there and you can follow some of the pros just to see how they are doing. But then it really isn't that different from Garmin Connect in that regard. But like I said it is so easy to use and anyone with a Garmin, Android, Iphone and some other GPS computers. It can cut back on forum bench racing.
Old 05-19-13, 06:36 PM   #8
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Then just run the app while driving a moderate pace in your car....

Don in Austin

Hmmm, now there's an idea. I might just do that.

Oh I won't drive fast enough to actually get a KOM and have people challenging me about it, I'll go just fast enough to beat my son. Old age, experience and treachery always wins over youth, strength and skill.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 06:45 PM   #9
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Early on, when users were few, your mediocre perform could stand out, but now that Strava is popular, my stats just get lost on the shuffle. My worst all time performance were on MTB trails in Colorado, and I'm glad I can keep locals from being on the very bottom. Still, DFL is DFL....
Old 05-20-13, 01:18 AM   #10
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Nothing in Strava forces you to compete with anyone. You can keep rides private or use a pseudonym if you want.
Have to agree that you do not have to be competitive but a fair number are. As an example we have KOM that is on a fast downhill-------With a roundabout at the bottom. The person that holds this was lucky in that no traffic was on the roundabout. Two others were not. Then the KOM's on the local MUPs. Far too dangerous for the other MUP users.

Those KOM's are there to be beat at any cost by those that are competitive.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-20-13, 02:10 AM   #11
himespau 

Bikes:
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I think you can somehow flag the segments that are too dangerous to keep the insane/stupid racers down, can't you?
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 06:35 AM   #12
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: 3 rideable (Genesis, Dawes & Merlin, 2 in pieces (Orange & Dawes)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I choose not to use Strava or any similar technology as analysis of my rides and performance does nothing for my enjoyment of cycling. I even took my Cateye off my bike after a few rides for the same reason - I kept wondering if I should be going faster. Sometimes I feel as if Mark Cavendish would struggle to keep up with me; Strava would destroy these daydreams/delusions.

But that's just my preference. I have absolutely no criticism for those who use the technology to enhance their enjoyment/performance and I can see why they do.
Gerryattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 11:13 AM   #13
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
78 Fifty+ members can't be wrong!

Go here : http://app.strava.com/clubs/bf-50-plusers for the members of THIS forum who are sharing rides and encouraging one another on Strava...
DGlenday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 11:29 AM   #14
jmiked

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er
The problem I have with some Strava users is their self-absorption. Around here, they have nearly hit people who clearly had the right-of-way on the multi-use singletracks. And then yelled at them that they should have gotten out of the way. There have also been collisions with other riders. I've quit going to some trails because it's just too dangerous.
jmiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 12:57 PM   #15
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
Go here : http://app.strava.com/clubs/bf-50-plusers for the members of THIS forum who are sharing rides and encouraging one another on Strava...
Very Interesting! What is the pass-code for joining? I see some names of people who are "following" me on Strava . . . and I had no idea who they were!

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-20-13 at 01:26 PM.
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 01:11 PM   #16
stapfam
Time for a change.

Nothing wrong with Strava when it is used to record your data- improve on your stats or see how you are faring up against other riders that ride in the same area as you. However it is that competitive attitude that some take that causes problems but they would probably be causing the same problems without Strava.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-20-13, 02:02 PM   #17
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post

I think I was part of that group on Strava before, but, now I have a Garmin Edge 500. I uploaded my first ride with it yesterday.
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 03:19 PM   #18
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
I'd be doing great in the combined 65+/200lb+ class (if there were one!). I like being able to look back to last fall when I was in very good shape and see how my current rides compare. For well-traveled routes there are too many segments to even worry about working for a KOM. And what's this with a 0.1 mile "climb"; what does that mean. Ought to be a minimum length of let's say 1 mile.
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 05:05 PM   #19
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Very Interesting! What is the pass-code for joining? I see some names of people who are "following" me on Strava . . . and I had no idea who they were!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-20-13, 07:07 PM   #20
Mobile 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Have to agree that you do not have to be competitive but a fair number are. As an example we have KOM that is on a fast downhill-------With a roundabout at the bottom. The person that holds this was lucky in that no traffic was on the roundabout. Two others were not. Then the KOM's on the local MUPs. Far too dangerous for the other MUP users.

Those KOM's are there to be beat at any cost by those that are competitive.
You are correct there are people that abuse a Segment and you can also request that a segment be closed because it is dangerous. I even know people who motor pace and have set a Segment by using a motorbike. But they would abuse the downhill anyway.
Old 05-20-13, 07:49 PM   #21
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I love Strava. It's just fun. The rankings mean nothing to me, as there are pros where I ride. Heck, the Tour of California just destroyed the Mt. Diablo KOM.
But I see my friends, and they see me. We give kudos and comments.
You can also see your personal bests, which is fun. You'll also discover a big tail wind makes a giant difference.
Have fun, remember it means nothing in the real world except what you make it mean.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 08:58 PM   #22
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
I'd be doing great in the combined 65+/200lb+ class (if there were one!). I like being able to look back to last fall when I was in very good shape and see how my current rides compare. For well-traveled routes there are too many segments to even worry about working for a KOM. And what's this with a 0.1 mile "climb"; what does that mean. Ought to be a minimum length of let's say 1 mile.
Three very good points there! I'd make the min. length of a climb less than a mile though... but, yeah, .1 mile is silly to call a segment.

Strava also gives me good ideas for routes that I would not have thought of.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 09:57 PM   #23
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2
Strava is good fun. I love seeing how I stack up to people I'm following and really like seeing where I stand in my peer group (by age).
Metric Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 11:11 PM   #24
Gallo

Bikes: 2008 Wilier Motorolio Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 1986 Paramount 2014 Pivot Mach 429c
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I love Strava I do not have KOMs so I don't have to worry about someone taking them. Most of my friends are faster so no worries there either. I compete against myself and Strava provides a forum for me to do so
Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 12:40 AM   #25
Mobile 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
Strava is good fun. I love seeing how I stack up to people I'm following and really like seeing where I stand in my peer group (by age).
Yes because before you were on Strava I thought you were a big fibber, and who knew there was a place as windy as where you live?