Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King of the road! or cat 6 racing

Thats how we felt after a ride today.Ed and I almost cancelled due to the weather..But the ticket says'' rain or shine we ride''.Neither one of us would give in and say I don't want to get wet.Bang the *** goes off! We are midpack Ed wants to be up front.I don"t want to be near the excited bikers let them go we'll pass them later.One by one we start picking them off.Some of them return the favor.For awhile we kept passing the same cyclists.So next straight away I nod to Ed, we are gone!My choice of bike was strange ,I took out the 35 yr old Le Tour.Its heavy,wide tires and has treads.But I have no recollection of ever crashing that bike over the years.And I crashed many times..Safety was an issue for most of the day. I'm still cautious on wet roads since my last Labor Day crash. (knee swelled up like a softball)The weather is getting worse ,rain is coming down harder,temp is dropping, glasses fogging up.We pick off more riders,catch up to the packs ahead of us,pass them.The lead pack is in sight now.We look at each other.Ed has a grin that says I just sold you the Brooklyn Bridge.We are off again.City traffic sets in.I want to catch the pack.We start riding like New York City bicycle messengers.A bus stops in front, Ed goes up a sidewalk ,down a sidewalk back into the road.I swing left around the bus, maneuver between oncoming traffic and the Greyhound.we are together again not for long.I swing left again around a double parked truck.Ed Tries between the cars and the curb.No room, he brakes ,sharp left passes cars we are together again.We pass a couple more bikes,we are are flying.Water is shooting off the tires.The lead pack is 20 yards ahead of us.I taste salt in my mouth,its 55* raining and I'm sweating that much. Orange shirts come on the road and tell us to slow down,single file to the end its over. Ed plans strategy for next year we start in front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be written that we have to grow old but I don't know anyhere where it is written that we have to grow up. Sounds like you had fun.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use paragraphs, Curbhopper.

For a fairly long post, too much was left out. Who were you destroying? Team kit roadies? A rag-tag gaggle of Freds? A grade school field trip?

Was this a special event? Are others plotting their revenge on you, even as I type this?

Did you give them The Look? Or did you get chicked?

Inquiring minds want to know.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ha Ha......A Schwinn Le Tour, the ultimate street sleeper from waaay back

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Use paragraphs, Curbhopper.

For a fairly long post, too much was left out. Who were you destroying? Team kit roadies? A rag-tag gaggle of Freds? A grade school field trip?

Was this a special event? Are others plotting their revenge on you, even as I type this?

Did you give them The Look? Or did you get chicked?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    ^^^What he said.
    And I did it all clean.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out on Sunday with a couple of cat 6 that disappeared into the distance. They left me for dead but they also walked a hill on the detour I sent them on.

Today I have been out in the garden working and one of the riders called in this evening and asked what he could do about his calf muscles that are barking--I told him to slow down on the next ride and we'll do a 60 miler with a real hill.

I enjoy being un-categorised.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    ... one of the riders called in this evening and asked what he could do about his calf muscles that are barking
    LOL - I've been living on aspirin for weeks, trying to overcome a 4 1/2 -month layoff. I keep telling myself things'll get better soon.