User Tag List

My Bikes
    SEVEN Elium SLX,Cilo 85,SchwinnFastback Limited 2001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding 400+ miles in four days.

I will be riding in four weeks with a group about 100 miles each for four days.
    Am i prepared enough?
    So far about 1300 miles for the year with a long ride of 50-70 miles each weekend.
    The pace is mostly fast group rides around 20mph average or solo around 17.5
    The tour will be more around a 15-16 mph pace. My concern is mostly daily "time in the saddle" and recovery.
    Should i keep my riding the same or ride with a slower group to get used to the pace for the next three weeks?
    I have done a century each the last three years finishing stronger each year.
    I plan on paying close attention to stay well hydrated.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd venture to say that if your best effort is 50-70mi once each weekend you'll be well served to significantly increase those numbers, and I'd incorporate some solid HIIT training in these next few weeks, taking great care to have enough recovery time.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be prepared to feel a little pain - the time in the saddle will likely be felt in your "saddle" after the first day.

A couple of over-the-counter pain pills of your choice will help but, just remember, no matter what, you have to get back on the bike and ride!

When I re-entered cycling in 2011, my event of choice was Ragbrai. I thought I was prepared for the 65 miles a day average but even at that low amount, the heat of Iowa's summer starts to wear on you. I didn't have any real pains due to the type of bike that I ride but even so, physically, I was tired.

Is this a tour? Any particular reason for a goal of 100 per day?
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite a ride. Best thing I can suggest is make sure you have very comfortable bibs/shorts, and that your bike is properly fitted to your body. You might consider chamois butter too. Physically, it sounds like you are ready.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the points so far.
    I may need to clarify a bit more. Currently in addition to the weekend ride there are at least two evening rides of 25-30 miles each.
    Just all of my riding are currently hard club rides that i enjoy very much.
    Again my question is how does that transform to smaller intensity but more time / distance.
    From bike fit , clothing to chamois butter, those ducks are all in a row!

"Is this a tour? Any particular reason for a goal of 100 per day?"

Yes, it is a away club ride in upstate New York. Will be all out and back rides starting at the same location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never ridden that far and probably never will. I would think that it is going to be a mental game. Riding slower than normal is going to be like just sitting on the bike with occasional standing to give the rear a little rest. If you are mentally prepared to just sit on the bike it will probably be a piece of cake.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding more than 70 miles a day, day after day, is not easy for even the best recreational cyclist. It can be done, and it sounds like you will have enough base miles since you are now riding about 120 miles a week or more. Give it a try.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    That's quite a ride. Best thing I can suggest is make sure you have very comfortable bibs/shorts, and that your bike is properly fitted to your body. You might consider chamois butter too. Physically, it sounds like you are ready.
    It would be the second day that would get me with Butt ache-and the 3rd----- and the 4th would probably be out of the saddle all day. So hopefully that last day will have all the hills.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    I'd venture to say that if your best effort is 50-70mi once each weekend you'll be well served to significantly increase those numbers, and I'd incorporate some solid HIIT training in these next few weeks, taking great care to have enough recovery time.
    Remember however that riding in a group inherently takes less energy than riding on your own. That's why I always laugh at these "to train for a century, you need to be riding 100 miles before the event" assertions. It certainly doesn't hurt, but it's not inherently necessary either. So if the OP is already up to 70 miles comfortable on his own, then 100 in a group isn't going to be as hard as it sounds unless he's at the front the whole time.

My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PRus View Post
    Yes, it is a away club ride in upstate New York. Will be all out and back rides starting at the same location.
    Upstate NY is a huge area, but it's fair to say that if you're going north of the mid-Hudson Valley, into either the upper Catskills or Adirondacks, you may be doing a fair amount of climbing on some days. That will impact you far more than the distance. If you're going into areas like the Great Adirondack Park or an area with similar elevation, it's going to be hard to rack up 100 miles without also racking up elevation gains of 2000-3000 feet. Spread over that distance, it may not be as painful as it sounds, but there may be some steep climbs. Also, 15-16 mph in an area with a lot of climbing is pretty darn tough. In fact, if it's got any amount of decent climbing at all, it would be classified as an "A" ride, which takes some prep.

I'd try to find that out first and if it will contain climbs, head to an area near you with some climbs, such as the route for the NJ Gran Fondo. It will likely be tough after the first day, but if you eat well and rest properly, the remaining portion should be a bit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can ride a century you can probably string 4 of them together.

I signed up for a Quint x 100 a couple of years ago. 100 miles a day for 5 days.
    We made it through 4 days and probably would have made the last day except my son-in-law was in a bad accident and broke his front fork. That kind of put a end to our trip.

I know that I'm a stronger rider today than I was back then so if you're not fighting hills or awful headwinds or driving rain (we had all three) you'll be fine.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great - at least you can always opt out if you have an issue. Hopefully, you won't. Good luck and have fun!
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best riding ever!
    It ended up less riding due to some circumstances.
    First day's 120 miles were followed by a rain out. Day three described best how it went .
    Just after about mile 101 i was talking to the person riding next to me. We both were happy that the ride was not over with!
    The scenery was just to nice to stop. This,despite knowing there was still 800 feet of climbing ahead of us.IMG_3347.jpg
    I guess a relaxing lunch stop and the "mandatory" ice cream stop later in the ride must have helped!IMG_3319.jpg
    Never thought i could survive 118 miles like that.
    On the fourth and last day i had to leave the group and soft pedaled for 30 miles around the area due to some mechanical issues.
    At the end it was not about the miles i missed but the riding i got to enjoy!IMG_3366.jpgIMG_3209.jpg

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Riding more than 70 miles a day, day after day, is not easy for even the best recreational cyclist. It can be done, and it sounds like you will have enough base miles since you are now riding about 120 miles a week or more. Give it a try.
    Best riding ever!
    IMG_3366.jpgIMG_3209.jpg
    Covering that kind of distance is a great accomplishment. Congrads!
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike