Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Giro's new non-dorky line of roadie wear

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-20-13, 10:14 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts

Giro's non-dorky line of roadie wear

When I started back into riding I found myself having grown out of my favorite old Cannondale cotton jersey and the two pairs of touring shorts that I'd almost worn out anyway. Boy when I started shopping around I was finding a LOT of race related gear and I'll be lucky just to finish any century ride in under 6 hours anymore. So the last thing I want to do is look even dorkier than some of the pros look anymore by being over dressed and under powered.

So when I saw Giro's new line of helmets in jyl's helmet thread I started looking into their other stuff and thought it might well appeal to some other folks in here who don't want to cycle in all out racing kits at our age if they're not quite as froggy as they used to be.

I'm also wondering what other cyclists favorite non racing wear is in the way of shorts, jerseys, gloves or whatever.

Last edited by Zinger; 05-21-13 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-21-13, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
I'm also wondering what other cyclists favorite non racing wear is in the way of shorts, jerseys, gloves or whatever.
Originally Posted by cccorlew

What the well-dressed 50+ forumite is wearing these days . . . (with thanks to Curtis)
Old 05-21-13, 12:30 AM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Looks a bit like some of the Ralpha stuff. Or some old cycling stuff. I would rather just use MTB shorts for casual riding because I have never been much into knickers. But the more companies making cycling wear the better I guess.
Old 05-21-13, 01:23 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Looks a bit like some of the Ralpha stuff. Or some old cycling stuff. I would rather just use MTB shorts for casual riding because I have never been much into knickers. But the more companies making cycling wear the better I guess.
Yeah I'm a little prejudiced towards the old fashioned stuff I guess. I like touring shorts myself if they aren't too baggy. I like the pockets for carrying maps, arm warmers, sandwiches for centuries or whatever.

I wound up getting some of these to replace my old Cannondale touring shorts. The fleece in the crotch isn't real chamois and it's a little thin but my new Brooks Imperial saddle seems to more than make up for it.

What I wish is that Cannondale still made their thick real leather palmed crochet gloves. I've found others but they won't hold up for long. I patched up those Cannondales with dental floss for years because they were just way more comfortable than Pearl Izumis that I tried to replace them with.
Old 05-21-13, 01:31 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
What the well-dressed 50+ forumite is wearing these days . . . (with thanks to Curtis)
You guys look great in them!

I bought a bright red Aerotech tall man's jersey that I'll hardly wear because I've always preferred cotton T shirts when it's warm outside....I get the tall ones from JC Penney, lol.
Old 05-21-13, 06:28 AM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Looks a bit like some of the Ralpha stuff.
+1
Old 05-21-13, 06:51 AM
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Mountain bike baggie shorts with liners and pads look normal, perform great, looser fitting shirts that wick are more comfy... The Spandex tight look works for racers and all but I think they feel terrible..
Old 05-21-13, 07:09 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Looks good for some of my rides where I'll do more off-bike interacting, like commutes or short tours with sightseeing/shopping involved. For centuries, club rides and such, I find lycra bibs and jerseys with rear pockets to be pretty much ideal (and I am in no way a racer). For rides under 10 miles or so, like store runs, I just wear whatever I was already wearing that day. Different tools for different jobs.
Old 05-21-13, 07:17 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Mountain bike baggie shorts with liners and pads look normal, perform great, looser fitting shirts that wick are more comfy... The Spandex tight look works for racers and all but I think they feel terrible..
Not a racer (never), I am concerned about the horn of the saddle catching anything baggie as you mount or stand, two days ago changed from shorts to my bibs - the bibs felt great, the shorts did not.

I keep wondering why folks such as you love to claim that "racers and all" are the appropriate folks to wear Spandex/Lycra??
Old 05-21-13, 07:31 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Mountain bike baggie shorts with liners and pads look normal, perform great, looser fitting shirts that wick are more comfy... .
My standard cycling attire comprises REI expedition shorts, which sound like your "mountain baggies," a white or bright-colored t shirt, my trusty mirror-equipped Giro Xen helmet, and a color-coordinated (screaming yellow) ensemble of Camelbak, windbreaker, and gloves.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-21-13, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Embrace the dorkiness, wear whatever you want and don't worry about what other people think. I wear PI Elite shorts, (lots of room), and loose fitting jerseys.
Old 05-21-13, 08:22 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Not a racer (never), I am concerned about the horn of the saddle catching anything baggie as you mount or stand, two days ago changed from shorts to my bibs - the bibs felt great, the shorts did not.

I keep wondering why folks such as you love to claim that "racers and all" are the appropriate folks to wear Spandex/Lycra??
+1 to that. And I don't think "racer stuff " is dorky at all. It's the right tool for the job as someone said.
Old 05-21-13, 08:26 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I've always liked MTB shorts for riding. This is a nice move by GIRO-IMO.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-21-13, 09:11 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Zinger I bookmarked those shorts. Those are really smart. Padding in shorts is, to me, misguided. These people understand that te chamois was for wicking, not padding. So many shorts look and fit like diapers nowadays. This is what I want. I have to wait for my current shorts to wear out first.

Thank you!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-21-13, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
IMO, the principal benefit of chamois is to provide body that helps prevents bunching in the crotch and attendant chafing.

Chafing is caused by relative motion between the fabric and skin. Proper fitting lycra shorts move with the skin and don't chafe like loose shorts can. They are also cooler. They wick sweat but keep in close contact with the skin which enhance the effectiveness of evaporative cooling. This is why riders concerned with performing at their best wear them.
Old 05-21-13, 10:13 AM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
The line looks good. Just roadie enough.

I wear lycra roadie shorts a lot. I find them comfortable and functional. I also have some liner shorts that I can wear with normal street shorts or baggy MTB shorts for when I'm running errands and don't want to scare small children. I also have a few of the wicking t-shirts made out of the same material as cycling jerseys. So I can get the cycling specific function and not look out of place off the bike. Also have some MTB shoes with SPD cleats that are walkable.
Old 05-21-13, 11:34 AM
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks really quite nice, but man is it pricey as hell- a full kit would cost more than my bike!... I'll wait for the close-out rack maybe.

I have an older pair of Zoic Black Market shorts with a liner. I wear those with a cheap white t shirt and a Target wool sweater if the weather requires. I'm not a racer nor do I care to emulate one and I'm sure they wouldn't want me to either lolol Wear what works for you and what you like.
Old 05-21-13, 12:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The clothing line appears over priced, at least to me. Also, don't like the muted colors in the shirts and vest for riding in traffic. Really don't see how this line is better then MTB shorts and shirts.

As others have stated, cycling attire should be functional, so wear what works for you.

To non-cyclist, I suppose lycra looks dorky. Which explains some of the looks I get walking into work. I don't care. Lycra shorts are really functional and can make the difference between riding in pain or comfort. Besides, who really cares what you look like?
Old 05-21-13, 02:02 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I get the impression that those who consider themselves "hip" have lately decided that most cycling shorts and jerseys are not hip enough. Especially when riding their urban fixie. Hence these new lines of cycling clothing, which may incidentally appeal to others as well.

For now I'll stick with my usual cycling shorts and jerseys. They work for me.
Old 05-21-13, 02:55 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by noglider
Zinger I bookmarked those shorts. Those are really smart. Padding in shorts is, to me, misguided. These people understand that te chamois was for wicking, not padding. So many shorts look and fit like diapers nowadays. This is what I want. I have to wait for my current shorts to wear out first.

Thank you!
You're welcome

The J&G shorts are pretty cool and comfy. Much lighter than my old cotton touring shorts and much cheaper than Giro's stuff.....which is pretty pricey.
Old 05-21-13, 02:55 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Stuff in Grey is better?

because its not got the logos of the sponsors that pay the other guys.

Im into Sweatpants , with out a peer group to Dress for.
Old 05-21-13, 03:02 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Stuff in Grey is better?

because its not got the logos of the sponsors that pay the other guys.

Im into Sweatpants , with out a peer group to Dress for.
I'm into bright red cotton T shirts for about 35 years now myself
With shorts also....of course
Old 05-21-13, 03:18 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ive Got some Red Capalene Shirts, and a red Longsleve Poly Bike Jersey I never wear the Jersey ,
Ought to resell it..

Cotton Hoodies Rule on The Coast ! I have a Polyfleece one from Carhartt its neon lime with reflective stripes
better Fred than Dead.
Old 05-21-13, 03:28 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
It's not the little kids who get scared. It's the middle schoolers. Everything embarrasses them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-21-13, 03:45 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
I'm into bright red cotton T shirts for about 35 years now myself
With shorts also....of course
I am more than willing to see the value of your interest in a more or less a fashion pair of Nickers. If they feel good and server the purpose you got them for more power to you. But I simply have to ask, because you have mentioned it more than once, your preference for a sweat soaked Cotton T-shirt.

I know I live where it is traditionally hotter than Spokane but even when I lived in Seattle I am not sure I preferred cotton when riding a bike. I find that after a ride I continue to perspire for a few minutes after I get off of the bike. If I am going somewhere that puts me in contact with other people, Church, work, entertainment it simply takes too long before the Cotton looks or feels dry. I have gone so far as to search out non cycling or running shirts that are made from wicking material simply so I can ride to an event and feel dry in a very short period of time. As some have mentioned I have also bought Under Armor, Nike and Jockey under garments simply to avoid the friction from Levis on a in town utility ride. TMI I know. But I( have found the soaked t-Shirt look to be uncomfortable so how do you deal with it and the drying time?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.