My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Giro's new non-dorky line of roadie wear

Giro's non-dorky line of roadie wear

When I started back into riding I found myself having grown out of my favorite old Cannondale cotton jersey and the two pairs of touring shorts that I'd almost worn out anyway. Boy when I started shopping around I was finding a LOT of race related gear and I'll be lucky just to finish any century ride in under 6 hours anymore. So the last thing I want to do is look even dorkier than some of the pros look anymore by being over dressed and under powered.

So when I saw Giro's new line of helmets in jyl's helmet thread I started looking into their other stuff and thought it might well appeal to some other folks in here who don't want to cycle in all out racing kits at our age if they're not quite as froggy as they used to be.

I'm also wondering what other cyclists favorite non racing wear is in the way of shorts, jerseys, gloves or whatever.
    Last edited by Zinger; 05-21-13 at 01:06 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    I'm also wondering what other cyclists favorite non racing wear is in the way of shorts, jerseys, gloves or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post

What the well-dressed 50+ forumite is wearing these days . . . (with thanks to Curtis)

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a bit like some of the Ralpha stuff. Or some old cycling stuff. I would rather just use MTB shorts for casual riding because I have never been much into knickers. But the more companies making cycling wear the better I guess.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Looks a bit like some of the Ralpha stuff. Or some old cycling stuff. I would rather just use MTB shorts for casual riding because I have never been much into knickers. But the more companies making cycling wear the better I guess.
    Yeah I'm a little prejudiced towards the old fashioned stuff I guess. I like touring shorts myself if they aren't too baggy. I like the pockets for carrying maps, arm warmers, sandwiches for centuries or whatever.

I wound up getting some of these to replace my old Cannondale touring shorts. The fleece in the crotch isn't real chamois and it's a little thin but my new Brooks Imperial saddle seems to more than make up for it.

What I wish is that Cannondale still made their thick real leather palmed crochet gloves. I've found others but they won't hold up for long. I patched up those Cannondales with dental floss for years because they were just way more comfortable than Pearl Izumis that I tried to replace them with.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenshiBiker View Post
    What the well-dressed 50+ forumite is wearing these days . . . (with thanks to Curtis)
    You guys look great in them!

I bought a bright red Aerotech tall man's jersey that I'll hardly wear because I've always preferred cotton T shirts when it's warm outside....I get the tall ones from JC Penney, lol.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Looks a bit like some of the Ralpha stuff.
    +1

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mountain bike baggie shorts with liners and pads look normal, perform great, looser fitting shirts that wick are more comfy... The Spandex tight look works for racers and all but I think they feel terrible..
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good for some of my rides where I'll do more off-bike interacting, like commutes or short tours with sightseeing/shopping involved. For centuries, club rides and such, I find lycra bibs and jerseys with rear pockets to be pretty much ideal (and I am in no way a racer). For rides under 10 miles or so, like store runs, I just wear whatever I was already wearing that day. Different tools for different jobs.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
    Mountain bike baggie shorts with liners and pads look normal, perform great, looser fitting shirts that wick are more comfy... The Spandex tight look works for racers and all but I think they feel terrible..
    Not a racer (never), I am concerned about the horn of the saddle catching anything baggie as you mount or stand, two days ago changed from shorts to my bibs - the bibs felt great, the shorts did not.

I keep wondering why folks such as you love to claim that "racers and all" are the appropriate folks to wear Spandex/Lycra??
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
    Mountain bike baggie shorts with liners and pads look normal, perform great, looser fitting shirts that wick are more comfy... .
    My standard cycling attire comprises REI expedition shorts, which sound like your "mountain baggies," a white or bright-colored t shirt, my trusty mirror-equipped Giro Xen helmet, and a color-coordinated (screaming yellow) ensemble of Camelbak, windbreaker, and gloves.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Embrace the dorkiness, wear whatever you want and don't worry about what other people think. I wear PI Elite shorts, (lots of room), and loose fitting jerseys.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Not a racer (never), I am concerned about the horn of the saddle catching anything baggie as you mount or stand, two days ago changed from shorts to my bibs - the bibs felt great, the shorts did not.

I keep wondering why folks such as you love to claim that "racers and all" are the appropriate folks to wear Spandex/Lycra??
    +1 to that. And I don't think "racer stuff " is dorky at all. It's the right tool for the job as someone said.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always liked MTB shorts for riding. This is a nice move by GIRO-IMO.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    too many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Zinger I bookmarked those shorts. Those are really smart. Padding in shorts is, to me, misguided. These people understand that te chamois was for wicking, not padding. So many shorts look and fit like diapers nowadays. This is what I want. I have to wait for my current shorts to wear out first.

Thank you!
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the principal benefit of chamois is to provide body that helps prevents bunching in the crotch and attendant chafing.

Chafing is caused by relative motion between the fabric and skin. Proper fitting lycra shorts move with the skin and don't chafe like loose shorts can. They are also cooler. They wick sweat but keep in close contact with the skin which enhance the effectiveness of evaporative cooling. This is why riders concerned with performing at their best wear them.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The line looks good. Just roadie enough.

I wear lycra roadie shorts a lot. I find them comfortable and functional. I also have some liner shorts that I can wear with normal street shorts or baggy MTB shorts for when I'm running errands and don't want to scare small children. I also have a few of the wicking t-shirts made out of the same material as cycling jerseys. So I can get the cycling specific function and not look out of place off the bike. Also have some MTB shoes with SPD cleats that are walkable.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979, Univega Alpina, Felt Little B@st@rd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks really quite nice, but man is it pricey as hell- a full kit would cost more than my bike!... I'll wait for the close-out rack maybe.

I have an older pair of Zoic Black Market shorts with a liner. I wear those with a cheap white t shirt and a Target wool sweater if the weather requires. I'm not a racer nor do I care to emulate one and I'm sure they wouldn't want me to either lolol Wear what works for you and what you like.
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clothing line appears over priced, at least to me. Also, don't like the muted colors in the shirts and vest for riding in traffic. Really don't see how this line is better then MTB shorts and shirts.

As others have stated, cycling attire should be functional, so wear what works for you.

To non-cyclist, I suppose lycra looks dorky. Which explains some of the looks I get walking into work. I don't care. Lycra shorts are really functional and can make the difference between riding in pain or comfort. Besides, who really cares what you look like?

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the impression that those who consider themselves "hip" have lately decided that most cycling shorts and jerseys are not hip enough. Especially when riding their urban fixie. Hence these new lines of cycling clothing, which may incidentally appeal to others as well.

For now I'll stick with my usual cycling shorts and jerseys. They work for me.
    And I did it all clean.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    Zinger I bookmarked those shorts. Those are really smart. Padding in shorts is, to me, misguided. These people understand that te chamois was for wicking, not padding. So many shorts look and fit like diapers nowadays. This is what I want. I have to wait for my current shorts to wear out first.

Thank you!
    You're welcome

The J&G shorts are pretty cool and comfy. Much lighter than my old cotton touring shorts and much cheaper than Giro's stuff.....which is pretty pricey.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff in Grey is better?

because its not got the logos of the sponsors that pay the other guys.

Im into Sweatpants , with out a peer group to Dress for.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Stuff in Grey is better?

because its not got the logos of the sponsors that pay the other guys.

Im into Sweatpants , with out a peer group to Dress for.
    I'm into bright red cotton T shirts for about 35 years now myself
    With shorts also....of course

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive Got some Red Capalene Shirts, and a red Longsleve Poly Bike Jersey I never wear the Jersey ,
    Ought to resell it..

Cotton Hoodies Rule on The Coast ! I have a Polyfleece one from Carhartt its neon lime with reflective stripes
    better Fred than Dead.

My Bikes
    too many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not the little kids who get scared. It's the middle schoolers. Everything embarrasses them.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    I'm into bright red cotton T shirts for about 35 years now myself
    With shorts also....of course
    I am more than willing to see the value of your interest in a more or less a fashion pair of Nickers. If they feel good and server the purpose you got them for more power to you. But I simply have to ask, because you have mentioned it more than once, your preference for a sweat soaked Cotton T-shirt.

I know I live where it is traditionally hotter than Spokane but even when I lived in Seattle I am not sure I preferred cotton when riding a bike. I find that after a ride I continue to perspire for a few minutes after I get off of the bike. If I am going somewhere that puts me in contact with other people, Church, work, entertainment it simply takes too long before the Cotton looks or feels dry. I have gone so far as to search out non cycling or running shirts that are made from wicking material simply so I can ride to an event and feel dry in a very short period of time. As some have mentioned I have also bought Under Armor, Nike and Jockey under garments simply to avoid the friction from Levis on a in town utility ride. TMI I know. But I( have found the soaked t-Shirt look to be uncomfortable so how do you deal with it and the drying time?
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast