Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stress cycle difficult to beat...

The last two days have been very stressful for a variety of reasons. And stress almost always manifests itself in my shoulders and neck. So, this morning I thought I'd take a leisurely ride and different route into work to relieve some of the stress. The only problem was that my neck and shoulders felt worse! I'm thinking maybe (and this is a big maybe) there would be room for a bent in the bike shed. I wonder where I can rent or borrow one until this stress cycle gets back under control. Or, I could go see the acupuncturist my wife sees (she gets great relief from this). Just not crazy about people sticking sharp things into my body. What, other than riding, do the rest of you do to relieve stress?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    What, other than riding, do the rest of you do to relieve stress?

Drink. Have sex. Remind myself that life is absurd. Avoid taking myself too seriously. Take pleasure in the fact that I had the sense not to go into politics. Sometimes, all of these simultaneously.

In extremis, laugh at people who ride recumbents.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Drink. Have sex. Remind myself that life is absurd. Avoid taking myself too seriously. Take pleasure in the fact that I had the sense not to go into politics. Sometimes, all of these simultaneously.

In extremis, laugh at people who ride recumbents.
    All of the above, except the last one. And go out for a ride long enough and hard enough so I fall down when I get off the bike. Puts your **** in perspective.

I laugh and point at people that ride bents.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you lived near here I'd lend you my bent. I'm having a flair of LBP/sciatica like you wouldn't believe (although you'd probably believe it) and the bent actually makes it worse. For now I'll be limiting my rides to short jaunts on the LeMonster.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    If you lived near here I'd lend you my bent. I'm having a flair of LBP/sciatica like you wouldn't believe (although you'd probably believe it) and the bent actually makes it worse. For now I'll be limiting my rides to short jaunts on the LeMonster.
    My chiropractor always suggested something called "Williams flexion exercise" for sciatica. Mine arises from a congenital back issue. Basically imagine lying on your back and going into the fetal position. As you pull your knees to your chest it will stretch you spine and (hopefully) relieve the impact on the nerve that causes your sciatica.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my favorites include a cigar and a beer or cognac while sitting outside watching the natural world. Massage works great too. A quiet place to listen to music (classical or opera) with your substance of choice should be relaxing as well. Basically anything that allows your mind to be free of the daily grind.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the stress has a simple physical origin. Currently all of my hobbies cause pain in the shoulder/neck (biking, piano, surfing, computer surfing, wood splitting).

Have you tried raising the handlebars (up to saddle level at least)??

BikeInFog.jpg

I'm sure you've tried stretching (daily) and strength training -- those are important.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    my bikes would not impress anyone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i get a stress headache/neckache i use biofreeze on the back of my neck. I only discovered it a few months ago and it works better than anything i've used.

and running! if i can't bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had extensive acupuncture for my AChilles Tendon. Don't be afraid of the needles. How about a good massage, also? And, biofreeze as above.

Some cross training would not hurt. Swimming in particular. And, a good PT could give you some strengthening exercises, as you most likely have a muscle imbalance, which happens quite often when one participates primarily in one sport activity.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Apollo Revival Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot soak in the tub after a bike ride with Radox or Lavender Bath Soak?

Nothing like a hot bubbly, soapy soak to ease stress tension.

And yes a massage, both of which I need right now lol.
    Apollo Revival MTB AKA Sunshine

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beer and meditation, though not in that order.

Seriously, I have found meditation to be very beneficial. It takes a little time to get comfortable with it, but for me it has all but cured my insomnia and greatly relieved general stress and anxiety. I highly recommend it.

Dave
    And I did it all clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apollored View Post
    Hot soak in the tub after a bike ride with Radox or Lavender Bath Soak?

Nothing like a hot bubbly, soapy soak to ease stress tension.

And yes a massage, both of which I need right now lol.
    +1 ^^

I used to belong to a health club and the way for me to beat the stress was to alternate between the steam room and cooling showers until the body was like a limp noodle. Then go have a healthy smoothie or such and lots of water.

edit: a bike with a tall head tube is a wonderful thing!
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by climberguy View Post

Seriously, I have found meditation to be very beneficial. It takes a little time to get comfortable with it, but for me it has all but cured my insomnia and greatly relieved general stress and anxiety. I highly recommend it.

Dave
    One of the great benefits of cycling is that it can be highly meditative, it allows one to exist in the moment. One of the reasons I prefer riding alone.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to the range. Fire, smoke, and noise levels in excess of 85 decibels do not constitute an environment that most would consider relaxing; however, on most occasions when I leave the range, I am totally relaxed.

Different strokes for different folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 minutes with my grandson cures whatever stress I might have. Nothing is more important than playing choo choo trains.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of different ideas. Thanks. I did a long hot shower, a glass of wine, and some ibuprofen after today's ride, which didn't get painful until the 22 mile mark. It seems to be a bit less intense right now. So, we'll see how it is tomorrow.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by climberguy View Post
    Beer and meditation, though not in that order.
    Dave
    Wouldn't it be hypocritical to ask meditation centers to sponsor cycling teams?

Whoa, sorry, wrong thread. I'm getting a beer...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa, sorry, wrong thread. I'm getting a beer...
    Yeah, you probably should.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gardening gives cycling stiff competition as a method of stress relief for me. Some weekends, I plan on spending early mornings gardening so that I can do other things (cycling) later on in the day, only to find the light fading in the evening and myself still in the garden. There is always something that needs maintenance and always something to tweak.
    I find there something spiritual in spending time in my garden, cultivating new growth, tending the old favorites and the presence of a variety of birds and butterflies enjoying the fruits of my efforts. I am in my element there and though the work can be hard, I find it relaxing and a great stress release. I have been working on it for 21 years and never tire of it.

Of course, in order to reap the benefits of this option, one needs to actually enjoy gardening--and have a yard!

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like needles but tried acupuncture for pain relief. It is amazing. It makes me so relaxed I fall asleep even looking down and seeing needles sticking out of my hands and feet.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dose of comfort food -- I have a short list of ice cream flavors, available in pints, that help; chocolate milk helps me, too. Occasionally, something a bit more substantial. A few days ago, all it took was a tall glass of one of those flavored kids' drinks (fruit punch, grape, etc.) fresh out of the fridge!

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, make shure your first ride is on the 'Correct for you' recumbent as some models are built for speed and not so comfy. For comfort LWB's and Tadpoles come to mind...http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/index.php

My Easy Chair and a fast one that I wish I had:
    HPIM0870.jpg1204 Titanium Javelin Pictures 033.jpg
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I had extensive acupuncture for my AChilles Tendon. Don't be afraid of the needles. How about a good massage, also? And, biofreeze as above.

Some cross training would not hurt. Swimming in particular. And, a good PT could give you some strengthening exercises, as you most likely have a muscle imbalance, which happens quite often when one participates primarily in one sport activity.
    Sounds like good advice. Chronic Achilles tendinitis is an exceedingly tough condition to treat (been there ... done that), but Denver beat it with his multimodal approach.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Sounds like good advice. Chronic Achilles tendinitis is an exceedingly tough condition to treat (been there ... done that), but Denver beat it with his multimodal approach.
    tendinosis
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It took me a while, but I think I got this worked out:

You meditate. Meditation makes you relax. When you relax you find Peace. When you find Peace you become One with the Universe and the Godhead, which includes the forces of creation, redemption and destruction. You become willing to destroy things, knowing that you posess the power of creation and redemption and that ultimately it is all Illusion anyway. Hence you go out there and run over cyclists.

I for one would not feel good about any Yoga center sponsoring a bike ride.

I now return this thread back to its original programming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast