Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why Do We Allow Breweries To Sponsor So Many Organized Rides & Bike Events?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

I like my Guinness Draught as much as the next guy, but with so many cyclists being picked off the road and killed by drunken drivers, why do we, as a community, continue to support events that are sponsored by beer and alcohol producers?
Old 05-19-13, 04:52 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Tom,
I'd venture the guess it that beer and cycling, as well as running, are closely related to beer sales and the demographics they are looking for in their campaigns. Our local Budweiser distributor sponsors a lot of events here, in the bicycling and running communities. They provide signage (with the logos of course) and other things to events free of charge. I haven't seen the free beer after running races lately like they did a whole lot in the 80's. Personally, I don't have a problem with it when it is done responsibly, by the organizers and the beer distributors. I do understand your point completely and I don't have or, want to provide, an answer for eliminating their support, it seems that they are the only ones to pony up the sums that these events can take to pull off. Interesting topic for thought, thanks for bringing it up

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-20-13 at 05:34 AM. Reason: IBTL
Old 05-19-13, 05:04 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
$$$$$$
Old 05-19-13, 05:09 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno. Maybe we want those drunken drivers to ride bikes instead so they won't kill as many people??
Old 05-19-13, 05:29 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Lets be realistic. A lot of riders drink beer, eat pizza, and party like it is 1999. Not all I agree but the ones that participate do and the ones that don't they aren't interested in. Who else is interested in spending that kind of money? Notice the other big sponsors are the other half of the equation, car companies.
Old 05-19-13, 05:35 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
How many riders are "picked off the road and killed by drunken drivers"?
Old 05-19-13, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alchohol is NOT the problem it an irresponsible PEOPLE problem. Just as the gun problem is.
I have drinks but am responsible enough to not drive.
I have guns but use them resposibly and keep them secure from those who would not.
Don't blame the product for the crime.
Old 05-19-13, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigAura
$$$$$$
Yep! This! ^
They want to be associated with healthy dynamic people. Fortunately I have never seen alcoholic beverages being offered as recovery drinks.
Old 05-19-13, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I like my Guinness Draught as much as the next guy, but with so many cyclists being picked off the road and killed by drunken drivers, why do we, as a community, continue to support events that are sponsored by beer and alcohol producers?

We like beer, they can afford to.

Marc
Old 05-19-13, 06:15 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
We like beer, they can afford to.

Marc
When I have been to Germany I am sure they would never even question such a post. And one day I wouldn't be surprised to see Rolled Gold being the sponsor for Colorado bike rides.
Old 05-19-13, 06:21 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Because beer is a beautiful thing, and after a long ride it's even a more beautiful thing.
If most cyclists didn't agree with me beer companies wouldn't sponsor rides.

Now, next question?
Old 05-19-13, 06:24 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your going to give a $ to charity do your research and find out how much is getting skimmed off the top. If your effort gets a brewer or, I dare say a w#ore house, to devote money to a good cause, do it. I never look at the horses mouth, just who the benefactor is.
Old 05-19-13, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
The OP really should know the answer to this. If he doesn't, well shame on him.

I think cell phones are a way bigger threat to cyclists than Guinness Stout. Radio Shack and T-Mobile have or had teams. Should we get our knickers in a twist about it?

Old 05-19-13, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
I personally know of at least two riders who were hit and killed by cell phone users. None by drunk drivers.
Old 05-19-13, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, let's see.....I did the tour Dallas this year: Cliff Bars and the city of Dallas; North Texas Classic: Subway, Frito Lay and Schlotzkys. I have several others planned: Collin Classic: 15 sponsors listed, no alcohol companies; ditto for the tour de Italia, tour de Cure.......several more. Maybe because these are local events? Probably not, DFW has thousands of cyclists. I did not check all of the ones I have planned but the HHH was the only one I checked that w/ a beer sponsor.

Not that it would have mattered to me. I like doing charity rides and if a beer sponsor steps up and makes it happen for the charity, I am all for it.
Old 05-19-13, 07:05 PM

Locally someone tried to make a ruckus about McDonalds sponsoring both rides and teams. When I read about it, I got a Double Cheeseburger. It wasn't very good but self-righteousness doesn't sit well with me.

Old 05-19-13, 07:06 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
If you don't like beer, you could always adopt the philosophy of an early Salvation Army leader:

"I'd take money from the devil to do the work of God."

Me, I'll take pint, thank you.
Old 05-19-13, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
You guys are a pisser. Now I'm really glad I started this thread!

I don't have the stats at my fingertips, but the article in last week's local newspaper about a drunken driver striking and killing a bicyclist was certainly not the first I've seen in recent months. Of course I know it's not as simple as "the beer company sponsors the ride, a driver gets drunk and kills a cyclist." However, with so many riders on the various bike forums constantly reporting hits and near misses with drunken drivers, I wondered why we have no problem joining rides sponsored by the stuff that makes those drivers drunk.
Old 05-19-13, 07:33 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
$$$$$$
xactly

When the old Red Zinger Classic grew too big for Celestial Seasonings to handle Mo Siegel sold the whole operation to Coors for a $ buck just to keep it going. They could afford it and so it was that the race became the Coors Classic and continued to inspire a generation of American cyclists to ride. In fact I was inspired by Michael Aisner's promotional videos for the "Zinger" even before he became race director for the Coors Classics.

So for every cyclist killed by a drunk, Coors sponsorship replaced with several more . I avoid most of the drunks by not riding at night.

Last edited by Zinger; 05-19-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 07:41 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
According to US NHTSA data:

"In 2010, alcohol was involved in 2,020 (or 47.2 percent) of pedestrian fatalities, 11,087 (or 39.9 percent) of vehicle occupant fatalities, 209 (or 33.8 percent) of pedal cyclist fatalities (as shown in Figure 2)."

I'm assuming that very few cyclists were the drunks.
Old 05-19-13, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bruce19

I'm assuming that very few cyclists were the drunks.
Remember, when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

Seriously, I question that assumption. Only one fatality locally since I've been riding 6-7 years) was alcohol related, and it was augmented by weed.

I worry about my s-I-l in Colorado now that the pot heads, dopers, and reefer madnass freaks took over.

Old 05-19-13, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is seldom wise or effective to blame the object for human behavior. Lots of good examples of that. Absolutely nothing wrong with limited consumption of most recreational mind altering substances. In fact, beer, in particular, has long been considered a food in most of the world. Making a substance illegal for adults, over history, has only created a black market and caused deadly violence as merchants worked out their marketing disputes. It has also created a culture of violence and diversion for law enforcement. As a matter of fact there was a recent PBS documentary on just that.

So, beer is not bad. Merchants have the money. People enjoy it. Bring it on. BUT, when someone risks someone's life or limb other than their own lock them up.
Old 05-19-13, 08:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Allow??? There's a whole thesis in the use of that word.

So if you accept the premise that the only acceptable sponsors are those whose products cannot be misused or abused to cause harm, I guess we're pretty much limited to toothpaste and postage stamps.
Old 05-19-13, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a broader scale: People are going to use drugs of one kind or another to celebrate, relax, refresh, or just to fry their brains. Wild animals are the same. I've seen wolves, bears, various birds, etc. seeking out fermented fruit and the leaves of some plants. Put a stopper on one kind of drug and people will create another.

Trying to stop this kind of thing has never been successful and wastes valuable resources that can better be used productively. I know this position is a bit controversial. But, as the TV shows say: That is what the evidence says.
Old 05-19-13, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
A group of my friends are going to put on a ride this Fall. Locally, nearly every ride is at least partly sponsored by Ninkasi Brewery, a local brewery that was started and expanded with funds provided by our local government (public investment, private profits). My neighborhood, where the brewery's bar is located, has been so over run with drunk drivers that most of the residents who used to walk and ride around the 'hood have either reverted to using their cars or are staying indoors. Incidentally, the local hospital conducted a little study last year on our regional health and we have twice the national average of alcohol-related deaths.

In light of that, we are asking the same question that the OP is. Is it proper for us to take money, and provide advertising, for a company that is causing harm to the cycling community locally? Does the upside of our ride outweigh any downside? We haven't made a decision yet, but it is an issue for us.

To those who say "don't blame the product for the dangerous behavior": It is quite well established that alcohol reduces inhibitions and interferes with accurate self-assessment while impairing judgment. The product causes the behavior. This is different than other products for that reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.