Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Downhill Ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/891763-downhill-ride.html)

Metric Man 05-25-13 05:38 PM

Downhill Ride

I know a few of you like pics of rides, how about video? This was shot this morning with my GoPro 3. :D:eek:

I checked the Garmin later and found it was 40.7 mph.

cyclinfool 05-25-13 06:03 PM

Looks like pretty smooth pavement, I hit over 50 once on a freshly paved down hill stretch. I go into the drops with the elbows in and the knees hugging the frame incase the bike starts to wobble.

Metric Man 05-25-13 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 15667344)
Looks like pretty smooth pavement, I hit over 50 once on a freshly paved down hill stretch. I go into the drops with the elbows in and the knees hugging the frame incase the bike starts to wobble.

That was a nice section of road, of course we don't really get any snow or ice so the roads generally aren't too bad around here.

Planemaker 05-25-13 06:25 PM

Going that fast takes some guts.

I was going downhill today with a 25 mph tailwind and got to 28 mph and that was plenty fast for me. I can't even imagine what 40.7 mph would be like.

billydonn 05-25-13 10:48 PM

Nice! Thanks for posting. Good pavement and lack of wind helps. And you also have good sightlines ahead there. And 40ish starts to get a little scary to me too. It takes a little time to feel comfortable with that kind of speed, especially if you don't do it regularly.

jppe 05-26-13 08:17 AM

You have to love those descents! I'm guessing the grade was 6-8%??? I think the fastest speed I've recorded was 55 mph going down the paved side of Cottonwood Pass where the grades were 10% for long and straight enough to hit some good speeds.

What cyclocomputer are you using? I didn't recognize the buttons.....

stapfam 05-26-13 08:31 AM

Have to admit that this road is a bit rougher than yours but it is not straight. Highest speed recorded was 44 mph but only for a few seconds but the quality of this camera is the reason I also now have a go- pro.

volosong 05-26-13 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Metric Man (Post 15667269)
I know a few of you like pics of rides, how about video? This was shot this morning with my GoPro 3. :D:eek:

I checked the Garmin later and found it was 40.7 mph.

You are a lot braver than I am. Whenever I go at similar speeds, I take the lane. Too much chance of debris in the "bike lane" and no reaction time at those speeds.

Not really relevant, but the guy on the left in the first part of the video ... it looks like he needs longer cranks. They look like they are too short for his size.

Metric Man 05-26-13 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 15668735)
You have to love those descents! I'm guessing the grade was 6-8%??? I think the fastest speed I've recorded was 55 mph going down the paved side of Cottonwood Pass where the grades were 10% for long and straight enough to hit some good speeds.

What cyclocomputer are you using? I didn't recognize the buttons.....

I'm using the Garmin 800, and yes, 6.8% is the largest I recorded.

I had an almost disaster back in October riding a century. Highest recorded speed was 42+ mph but this was a real rough road and about the 48 second mark you can see where I went from the center line to the far right in a nano second. I also soiled my pants a little. :( :eek:

Metric Man 05-26-13 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 15668773)
Have to admit that this road is a bit rougher than yours but it is not straight. Highest speed recorded was 44 mph but only for a few seconds but the quality of this camera is the reason I also now have a go- pro.

Whoa!! Yer on the wrong side of the road!! :rolleyes: ;)

kenji666 05-26-13 09:22 AM

That squiggly line on the yellow sign at 0:05 should have given you a hint :thumb:

Dan Burkhart 05-26-13 09:28 AM

Can't say I've ever descended that fast on an upright, or if I'd even want to. looks like a fun ride though.

Metric Man 05-26-13 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by kenji666 (Post 15668950)
That squiggly line on the yellow sign at 0:05 should have given you a hint :thumb:

Yeah, I thought that was about snakes. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is I was warned by a local about that section and I was looking for the bumps, but I really didn't expect the bike to dance across the lane like that. That was the closest I have felt like I was getting ready to die on a bike...and I happen to have my GoPro running. :lol: I always tell my wife if they find me in a ditch or under a car to GET THAT CAMERA!! It will tell the story. :thumb: