Thread: Downhill Ride

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downhill Ride

I know a few of you like pics of rides, how about video? This was shot this morning with my GoPro 3.

I checked the Garmin later and found it was 40.7 mph.

The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like pretty smooth pavement, I hit over 50 once on a freshly paved down hill stretch. I go into the drops with the elbows in and the knees hugging the frame incase the bike starts to wobble.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Looks like pretty smooth pavement, I hit over 50 once on a freshly paved down hill stretch. I go into the drops with the elbows in and the knees hugging the frame incase the bike starts to wobble.
    That was a nice section of road, of course we don't really get any snow or ice so the roads generally aren't too bad around here.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going that fast takes some guts.

I was going downhill today with a 25 mph tailwind and got to 28 mph and that was plenty fast for me. I can't even imagine what 40.7 mph would be like.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Thanks for posting. Good pavement and lack of wind helps. And you also have good sightlines ahead there. And 40ish starts to get a little scary to me too. It takes a little time to feel comfortable with that kind of speed, especially if you don't do it regularly.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to love those descents! I'm guessing the grade was 6-8%??? I think the fastest speed I've recorded was 55 mph going down the paved side of Cottonwood Pass where the grades were 10% for long and straight enough to hit some good speeds.

What cyclocomputer are you using? I didn't recognize the buttons.....
    Ride your Ride!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to admit that this road is a bit rougher than yours but it is not straight. Highest speed recorded was 44 mph but only for a few seconds but the quality of this camera is the reason I also now have a go- pro.

How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    I know a few of you like pics of rides, how about video? This was shot this morning with my GoPro 3.

I checked the Garmin later and found it was 40.7 mph.
    You are a lot braver than I am. Whenever I go at similar speeds, I take the lane. Too much chance of debris in the "bike lane" and no reaction time at those speeds.

Not really relevant, but the guy on the left in the first part of the video ... it looks like he needs longer cranks. They look like they are too short for his size.
    Last edited by volosong; 05-26-13 at 08:43 AM.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    You have to love those descents! I'm guessing the grade was 6-8%??? I think the fastest speed I've recorded was 55 mph going down the paved side of Cottonwood Pass where the grades were 10% for long and straight enough to hit some good speeds.

What cyclocomputer are you using? I didn't recognize the buttons.....
    I'm using the Garmin 800, and yes, 6.8% is the largest I recorded.

I had an almost disaster back in October riding a century. Highest recorded speed was 42+ mph but this was a real rough road and about the 48 second mark you can see where I went from the center line to the far right in a nano second. I also soiled my pants a little.

Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Have to admit that this road is a bit rougher than yours but it is not straight. Highest speed recorded was 44 mph but only for a few seconds but the quality of this camera is the reason I also now have a go- pro.

Whoa!! Yer on the wrong side of the road!!
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That squiggly line on the yellow sign at 0:05 should have given you a hint

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I've ever descended that fast on an upright, or if I'd even want to. looks like a fun ride though.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenji666 View Post
    That squiggly line on the yellow sign at 0:05 should have given you a hint
    Yeah, I thought that was about snakes.

The funny thing is I was warned by a local about that section and I was looking for the bumps, but I really didn't expect the bike to dance across the lane like that. That was the closest I have felt like I was getting ready to die on a bike...and I happen to have my GoPro running. I always tell my wife if they find me in a ditch or under a car to GET THAT CAMERA!! It will tell the story.
    Mark