My Bikes
    Peugeot PH10 and Diamant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bored within the hour..

I'm probably the only one but;

is anyone else bored quickly while cycling?

I race MX all my life (20-30minute heats), raced pocetbike-competition in my 30's (15 minute heats), raced pitbikes on gocart-tracks in my 40's (20 minute heats) and I compete in Dynamic shooting; (5 minutes).
    So; the problem is; I'm not used to be physicaly active for more than 30 minutes.

Even when running I'm bored within 30 minutes.
    It's not that my physical fitness is under par, it's better than ever before; I'm sure I can pedal for 2 or 3 hours at my normal average of 16 or 17 mi/h if I want to.

I'm just getting bored easily.
    I use Strava to be able to compete against myself, I live in one of the most beautiful parts of my country and I could ride for hours on smooth asphalt bikelanes in the woods if I wanted to but it doesn't help; BOREDOM strikes.

When cycling I try to get as high an average as I can, I try to set PR's on the Strava segments, every time I get near home I force myself to ride into the other direction and do an additional loop of 15 minutes or so but then it's over; I can't get myself to ride on.

I thought about listening to music but I'm not such a music-lover.
    Even when riding with another cyclist it happens.
    3 Months ago, when I started riding bicycles, and we would ride alongside each other and have a conversation during the whole ride it was fine; we rode for 90 minutes or so and I loved it.
    But when I picked up speed and we started to ride behind each other most of the time, I get bored. And I hate that; I love pushing the pedals and would love to be able to do that longer than one hour.
    You never know how fast you can go until you fall down..

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you just need to slow down and realize what a pleasure just riding along on a nice spring day really is. Im sure you are many years maybe decades younger than I am, but this time of year is fantastic. It is spring everything is green, it is warm, so just enjoy a ride.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a fast group ride would get the juices flowing.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about racing? Masters or otherwise.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both answer above can work.

If you increase your effort to your limits, you will have things to think about. Like "just one more telephone pole" and "I'm going to die" and "I'm going to sell my bike and take up corn hole.

Or you can slow down and enjoy the world.

Having said all that, I do find paved bike paths in the woods the most monotonous. No telephone poles, maybe.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about bombing the park over by Nashville? Pretty challenging and pretty trails
    How about riding some of those two lane, paved country roads with no shoulders? Lots of farm machinery and pickups to dodge.

Just a couple suggestions.

But, if you are bored and can't find a way to be happy on a bike maybe you need to change hobbies/sports?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying this is relevant to you personally...

Hugh Laurie tells a story of how he was racing in a demolition derby. At one point, two cars crashed and exploded in front of him. As it was happening, he realized that he was bored. He decided it indicated there was something wrong with him (like perhaps depression), and he started seeing a therapist.

For me, on some rides I'm bored, but I know that I'll have great rides in the future.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what that word means from a literary standpoint, but personally, no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good suggestions noted. 30 min. or so may be your sweet spot. I know that when I was riding a lot, I really enjoyed riding fast for 2-4 hours with others. Any longer than that, and I just wanted to get off my bike. I was strong enough to ride a century every day of the week, but would rarely commit myself to more than 40-60 miles. When riding alone, I've never wanted to ride more than about an hour and a half. Now that I'm hiking more than riding, I enjoy spending the whole day in the mountains when I get the chance.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One reason why I commute to work and utility cycle, I have a sense of purpose, the rides are under an hour between stops, plus I can mix it up on the routes and the size of the load, letting me choose the level of exercise I want for that day, and it cuts down the boredom factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you juggle 4 tennis balls while riding your bike? Have you tried a unicycle?

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I am of no help to you. My personality must be the exact opposite of yours, for I am almost never bored. I take a very Zen-like approach to life and try to live within the moment. I especially find it hard to believe that someone could be bored riding on well-maintained bikepaths in the forest.

As others have suggested, perhaps you need to get into organized racing.

Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 * * 2007 GT Carbon Series 2, Ultegra - 7/2010 - 2,000 miles, (replaced 'cuz it was too small) * * 1975 Lotus Odyssey - resurrected & ridden 400 miles to "try out" cycling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MX and other short motorcycle racing is nothing like recreational cycling. Skydiving might be a better choice for you. I also have severe ADHD but I always enjoyed the challenge of endurance efforts (running, hiking, climbing). I didn't like cycling because it took so long (compared to running) to get a good workout, but now that I can't run I've adjusted to spending 2-3 hours most days instead of an hour. But cycling has as much in common with motocross racing as French cooking.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix, 105 Triple
    Started cycling 6/1/2010 at 64 - lethargy, bad knees, & 247# triggered my foray into cycling
    200# as of 9/9/2012 (mostly from diet, 40# in 5 mo)
    2010 (1st 7 mo) = 4.7K miles (a little nuts), 2011 = 6K

My Bikes
    Peugeot PH10 and Diamant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already introduced myself in the general introduction part but I understand not everyone of you reads that; it can be found here; Hi-from-The-Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    I'm not saying this is relevant to you personally...
    Hugh Laurie tells a story of how he was racing in a demolition derby. At one point, two cars crashed and exploded in front of him. As it was happening, he realized that he was bored. He decided it indicated there was something wrong with him (like perhaps depression), and he started seeing a therapist.
    Haha... I like this one..... but this doesn't relate to me... because the voices in my head keep telling me over and over again there's nothing wrong with me.....

Quote Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
    I know what that word means from a literary standpoint, but personally, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banded Krait View Post
    ..... My personality must be the exact opposite of yours, for I am almost never bored.
    That is exactly how I am when OFF my bikes; Never Bored could be my middle name. That's also the main reason why I find it disturbing enough to ask for advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    But, if you are bored and can't find a way to be happy on a bike maybe you need to change hobbies/sports?
    That would be the easy way out..... and that's not who I am.. and you neither judging from your signature
    So far I managed to make it into the top 3 at the National Championships of EVERY sport I competed in... and although I don't have the intention of achieving this in cycling, I don't want to quit; I just want to find a solution within the sport of cycling.

Maybe things will get better when the weather clears up and I am able to ride my bikes to work and back.
    I already thought about racing but I also plan to take up organised racing MX after 20 years (practicing for a year now). But it doesn't hurt to find out what the possibilities are, does it?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 76 VETTE View Post
    So far I managed to make it into the top 3 at the National Championships of EVERY sport I competed in... and although I don't have the intention of achieving this in cycling
    Good that you are setting realistic expectations for yourself, that may rule out Manic Depressive symptoms unless you change your mind and decide to Crush the competition in the morning and then fall into Ennui in the afternoon.

Perhaps solving differential equations while competing in the match sprint on the local velodrome would be a suitable endeavor, or setting a new National Hour Record would be nice. How could that be boring?

-Bandera
    Last edited by Bandera; 05-26-13 at 01:06 PM. Reason: bored
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

My Bikes
    Merlin Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find another activity...or ride less than an hour...

My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe try something you wouldnt have ever considered?
    I have a natural curiosity about stuff that seems weird to me, that translates well into bicycling.
    I always change what type of bike I commute on, and that keeps stuff . . . interesting ?
    If you are into fast CF/race type bikes, try building a Single Speed or mini-velo . . .
    Or convert an MTB to a Mad Max bomber . . . This is what works for me.
    Ive done everything from beach cruiser klunker bikes to foldies. Its been a fun ride!

My Bikes
    Peugeot PH10 and Diamant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
    Maybe try something you wouldnt have ever considered?
    If you are into fast CF/race type bikes, try building a Single Speed or mini-velo . . .
    At the moment I own 2 vintage racebikes; a Peugeot and a Diamant.
    I switch between the two and especially the Diamant with its more nervous behaviour and without toeclips makes for an interesting ride because every bump I encounter at speed could throw my foot off off the pedal.

Plans are to change the Diamant into single speed so I get two different bikes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like watching your speed and distance, and striving for a personal best, why not set longer goals. How fast could you do a century? Can you stay focused on the 100 mile goal while you ar hammering it out?
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're too good for this sport. Maybe you could hunt honey badgers with your bare hands.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment I own 2 vintage racebikes; a Peugeot and a Diamant.
    I switch between the two and especially the Diamant with its more nervous behaviour and without toeclips makes for an interesting ride because every bump I encounter at speed could throw my foot off off the pedal.

Plans are to change the Diamant into single speed so I get two different bikes.
    You need to spend some money and get yourself a carbon bike. It's another world. I used to roadrace motorcycles and there was nothing as thrilling. Going down a long hill on my Talon SL comes close and I love the competition of a timed Fondo. I also own a heavy steel single speed and it's fun trying to stay with the geared guys on my Sunday ride. If you're like me, bicycling means competition. It's not the same for everybody but you have the need to challenge yourself. I can't ride with someone slower than me. Then again, I can't stay with those faster which is why I ride solo a lot.
    The trick to life is to keep moving.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dachshund would bark and nip at anyone who got in front of her, she always had to be leading; competitive cycling makes me think of that behavior.

Frankly, I think cycling is boring. There really is nothing to get excited about, unless you trick it up with gadgets, e.g. Strava et al. and are always going for PRs. But that a lot like playing Wii on the TV, isn't it?

I'd say find some activity with meaning for you, or practice Buddhist philosophy - then everything will have meaning.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly how I am when OFF my bikes; Never Bored could be my middle name. That's also the main reason why I find it disturbing enough to ask for advice here.
    There's your answer right there, when you're 30 minutes into your ride, and you start feeling bored, stop there, get off your bike, and engage your interest in other ways (as long as you're not in the intersection of a busy freeway when you stop), like visiting the local shops, getting chased by nest-guarding geese, feeding the pigeons/squirrels/fish, sniffing flowers, poking hornet's nests, or whatever.

Get back on the bike after your bored-o-meter hits zero again, and continue on for another 30 minutes. Ideally, you can combine your bicycling with some of these other activities, such as being chased by geese, dogs, and/or angry hornets, or sniffing the flowers on the branches of the trees that slap your face when you forget to duck under them...

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I'm bored, but other times I'm amazed at how unboring it is. To explain: I can go on a six-hour ride and enjoy the whole thing. But can you imagine being on a stationary bike for six hours? Even if you were watching TV or having a conversation, that would be deadly boring.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Peugeot PH10 and Diamant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all; I'm sorry if anyone feels offended, hurt or attacked by my post when I say I find cycling boring. (judging from some off the replies I know some of you are.)
    I know cycling is fun... that's why I am looking for clues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    You're too good for this sport. Maybe you could hunt honey badgers with your bare hands.
    I'd almost say Been there.... done that... but no Badgers for me; I did however, keep a 6ft Caiman for 10 year and an occasional (bare-handed)wrestle was inevitable. Same goes with my collection of poisonous snakes.
    But that's not the point; I'm not seeking thrills while cycling; I'm just looking for ways to make it less boring for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankfast View Post
    If you're like me, bicycling means competition. It's not the same for everybody but you have the need to challenge yourself.
    You're right; I know I am a competitive guy but my intention was to leave this outside of biking and start cycling because I want to raise my physical fitness for MX. But now I find cycling so much fun and can not help it but seek competition. Probably there lies the solution; push myself harder and be content with one-hour rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast