Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crash 1,Crash 2,crash 3 ,you're out!!

Went on a ride this morning.My new ride buddy crashed 3 times.The first crash,he was behind me not sure what happened.He said he didn't see me. (??) We were cruising through a twisty paved path.I think he was coming up on me tried to avoid contact and crashed.He laid on the path stunned.I helped him up ,no blood but road rash.His helmet which he wears too loose in my opinion,was scratched up.His forehead corner had a layer of skin missing.I think the loose helmet slid on his head wth impact.I checked him over he said he was OK and off we went.I slowed the pace rode about 45 mins,checked in with him he is OK.There is an obstacle on the path I dismount walk around it.He decides to go through and crashes.He is up right away, says he is good.10 mins later,I slowed down for a sharp right turn.He misjudged the turn and off the path he goes crash 3.I said stay here I'm getting the car.Now I'm worried he hit his head harder than we thought.He insists he is having a bad day wants to continue.I let him lead and set the pace and I'll watch from the rear. We make it in one piece to the car.I see mistakes in his riding style which I could point out.I feel awkward explaining to a 50+ rider how to ride but I guess I'll have to before he kills himself.How was your ride today?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    Now I'm worried he hit his head harder than we thought.
    That's my bet too.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience is the result of bad judgement." I'd encourage him to get checked out. That's the prudent thing to do. I personally don't have a good record of following advice like that and I suspect he won't either.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were cruising through a twisty paved path.I think he was coming up on me tried to avoid contact and crashed.
    Shamrock,

It is quite likely that your road-rashed friend had raced as a USCF Junior in his teens, quit due to multiple concussions and broken clavicles, but has retained the archetypical Junior riding style: to immediately run into one another, over cook corners and just fall over for no particular reason. If he is using testosterone replacement products to ah, er return that Special Feeling of Youth he may also be once again overcome by hormone poisoning as he was in his teens.

Suggest golf as a suitable pursuit, or perhaps knitting.

-Bandera
    '74 Raleigh International - '77 Trek TX900FG - '92 Vitus 979 - '10 Merckx EMX-3- '11 Soma Stanyan

Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 * * 2007 GT Carbon Series 2, Ultegra - 7/2010 - 2,000 miles, (replaced 'cuz it was too small) * * 1975 Lotus Odyssey - resurrected & ridden 400 miles to "try out" cycling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some rides you will remember a long, long time. This is one.

There are lots of possible reasons, but Bandera's analysis that your friend is a reckless rider sounds probable.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix, 105 Triple
    Started cycling 6/1/2010 at 64 - lethargy, bad knees, & 247# triggered my foray into cycling
    200# as of 9/9/2012 (mostly from diet, 40# in 5 mo)
    2010 (1st 7 mo) = 4.7K miles (a little nuts), 2011 = 6K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do go riding with him again be careful that you don't let him take you out as well.
    Crash #2 and #3 may have been due to him getting his bell rung in crash #1.
    He might not be as squirrelly as he appears.
    Uhmm...

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm worried he hit his head harder than we thought.
    Very likely. The concussion victims I've encountered have either no idea that their brain isn't working properly, or rather aggressively tell you they are fine. Even if he didn't hit his head, a crash can discombobulate you.

After this knock:

Conan wanted to go on with the show, even though the written notes made no sense to him.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Very likely. The concussion victims I've encountered have either no idea that their brain isn't working properly, or rather aggressively tell you they are fine. Even if he didn't hit his head, a crash can discombobulate you.

After this knock:

Conan wanted to go on with the show, even though the written notes made no sense to him.
    I've slipped and hit the back of my head like that and thought I was mugged from behind, lol. Didn't even know I was on the floor.

I would never make a criterium racer or a fast descender. I ride w/o a helmet too often and am too cautious. If someone is riding squirrely I will steer clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refused participation by a rider on a senior group ride I was leading because of his past demonstration of unsafe and poor riding skills and his failure to change when the errors were pointed out.

I.e., going straight out without checking for cross traffic while crossing a busy street, stating, "Well, the cars are supposed to stop" and wandering all over the trail and almost pushing my wife and others off of the trail.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you should ride with him again the first words out of your mouth should be, "Why don't you go ahead and take the lead?"
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unattentive and reckless riders give me the ee-be-gee-bees. I'm particularly stressed when I'm in the car and coming up behind them.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.