User Tag List

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't See The Potholes

I've ridden this route almost every Sunday for the past year and a half. You'd think I knew where every pothole was but today I hit one and it rattled my teeth. I got angry at my ineptness. It rains all the time here in the tropics and the potholes fill with water and are hard to distinguish from a shallow puddle. They don't take care of the roads too well and these holes remain unfilled for months. But I think that I may have a partial cure for the problem. I'm currently wearing a pair of cheap sunglasses from Walgreens. I think that it may be time to invest in prescription sunglasses. How many of you wear them and where did you get them? I see them advertised in Bicycle magazine.
    The trick to life is to keep moving.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get mine from the place where I get my regular glasses. My sunglasses are wrap around and line less bi-focal.

I don't know how good they'd be for gauging the depth of water filled pot holes. I switch to clear glasses when the cloud cover makes it too dark.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankful that a call or online notification to the Mayor's Action Center in Indy is all that it takes to get a pothole filled hereabouts.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear those transition sunglasses so they come from the regular eye doctor. I will admit that often I look over the glasses because I can't tell if its a shadow or a pothole.When riding in the bright sun my glasses are dark. Continue under a bridge and my vision is poor.Due to the time it takes to transition to a clear glass.2 mins apprx.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I wear those transition sunglasses so they come from the regular eye doctor. I will admit that often I look over the glasses because I can't tell if its a shadow or a pothole.When riding in the bright sun my glasses are dark. Continue under a bridge and my vision is poor.Due to the time it takes to transition to a clear glass.2 mins apprx.
    Yes, going in and out of sunlight is a problem. I too have prescription transition glasses but I don't wear them while riding. I prefer the wraparound for protection. Most of time while riding sight is focused over fifty feet in front of the bike but with the danger of potholes one has to focus in front of the wheel. Not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road bike cyclists have somewhat the same problem that clay target shotgunners have with prescription glasses and sunglasses. You spend most of the time looking out of the top third of your lenses. This means that you are looking out of a part of the lens that is designed to handle peripheral vision. You may want to point this out to the optometrist or the oculist when ordering the glasses.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like polarized, and my prescription doesn't fit in fancy cycling glasses.

I just use a Wayfarer knock-off frame (shown in my avatar, but with my old, single-vision lenses) and Carl Zeiss GT2 progressive lenses in polarized. Best lenses I've ever owned, full stop.

As Mort points out, a discussion with your optician will help lead you to the best lens for you, your eyes, and your intended usage. I was flabbergasted to learn that the "lens map" of progressive lenses is different for every make and model, and there are over 500 of them. My optician "focused" (nyuck, nyuck) on the tops. This is what led to the Zeiss GT2s. They are excellent. Crisp, sharp and clear as a bell.

On the bike I'm completely unaware that I'm wearing a progressive. The road ahead is perfect, the cyclometer and map case are perfect, and so is everything in between. Peripheral vision is very good as well.

This is a far cry from my regular, everyday, non-sunglass progressives.
    Last edited by tsl; 05-26-13 at 04:39 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a neat pair of surfing glasses (they stay on during my wipeouts) from silverfish.com.

UrJs8CO.jpg

But they aren't bifocals, and were totally unusable on the bike since I couldn't read the bike computer.

But yes, I always wear my prescription glasses while riding.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my prescription glasses with clip-ons over them during the daytime. I also started wearing a cycling cap, under the helmet, a couple of months ago and the bill keeps the sun from coming in over the tops.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a decent pair of riding sunglasses, polarized, with interchangeable lens. The orange lens do a terrific job of popping out details in the shadows for me. I only wear the dark lens when it's bright full sun.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the polarized lens, my Rx sunglasses have this option, it helps me see things clearer and it seems to cut glare, for me.

Bill

My Bikes
    2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Vistana OveRx polarized over my regular prescription and have been very satisfied. If I lost them, I would be immediately buying another pair approx ≈ $50.

http://www.liveeyewear.com/vistana/

My Bikes
    '84 Schwinn Letour Luxe, '84 Schwinn traveler, '87 Schwinn Prelude(2), 91 Giant Yukon, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5 unicrown
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevnim View Post
    I wear Vistana OveRx polarized over my regular prescription and have been very satisfied. If I lost them, I would be immediately buying another pair approx ≈ $50.

Thanks loads for the link. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up on transition prescription glasses while riding--they get too dark and can't see in the shade very well, so I use clear bifocals it is easier to see obstacles on the road--but I have add that I have some age related macular degeneration unfortunately that is bothersome even during the day, again in the shade--the best viewing is of course when it is cloudy!

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with polarized. I wear progressive prescription and they work great. Only problem I notice is when riding on roads with dappled sunlight coming through trees it is difficult to pick out rough sections quickly.
    1988 TREK 400T, 1985 TREK 470, 1988 DiamondBack Ascent EX

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevnim View Post

How do you think they would work with transition glasses underneath?

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfast View Post
    How do you think they would work with transition glasses underneath?
    As I understand it, since transitions work based on UV light, I doubt the transitions would change since the glasses over them would be blocking the the UV. Do your transitions change while driving in a car during the day? (I didn't think transitions would change because the car glass blocks a lot of the UV rays.)
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    As I understand it, since transitions work based on UV light, I doubt the transitions would change since the glasses over them would be blocking the the UV. Do your transitions change while driving in a car during the day? (I didn't think transitions would change because the car glass blocks a lot of the UV rays.)
    They do change while driving during the day. I like the idea of wearing polarized glasses over my prescription glasses. I suppose if there was too much shade they could be taken off. The transition glasses don't seem to get as dark as some polarized sun glasses.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear some very nice no-line bifocals during the day for normal use.

IMHO the best bet for sunglasses (and I use them) is a set of lined bifocals from Wal-Mart. Less than $200. They're not quite a slim lined as Oakley's, but I consider them acceptable.

Or you can go all out for some Rudy Project or something similar for about $500 and up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polarized are good, but of course will be somewhat dark, even in the lightest tint, since they cut out the light that's cross polarized. For this reason they may not be suitable for riding at dusk or night, if that's a consideration for you. For that reason, my riding specific prescription glasses are non-polarized light-tint photochromic (progressive bifocals), which are essentially completely transparent in their lightest state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Thankful that a call or online notification to the Mayor's Action Center in Indy is all that it takes to get a pothole filled hereabouts.
    I don't think they fill 'em in. They just ship all the potholes off to upstate NY where we line them all up and make roads out of them!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I don't think they fill 'em in. They just ship all the potholes off to upstate NY where we line them all up and make roads out of them!!!
    I hit one last year causing a rather spectacular crash.it destroyed my carbon bars but luckily I survived with only a bad case of road rash. It wasn't a case of not seeing . I turned to see if there was a car on my left because I had to swerve to avoid a car that cut me off. There are so many here that you have to be constantly aware of them. Sort of takes the fun out of the ride.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only wear sunglasses for cycling when there is no tree cover at all like near the beaches. all NE roads are tree loined and there's always dappled light to hide obstacles.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear progressive (bifocals w/o the line) lenses and have no problem using the Vistanas. I'm not sure if transitions (photochromic) lenses would get too dark to see well. I got my Vistanas on-line, but there are local dealers also. You might check the Vistana website for your local dealer to test your transitions with their sunglasses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I avoid all puddles knowing well that there may be a large pothole hiding beneath the surface.