User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to find riding partners?

I live in a small town 50 miles south of San Jose, CA. We have one bike shop which has a few rides/week with a small turnout. The nearest club is based in San Jose, although there are some decent-sized towns within 30 minutes.

Anyone had success using some form of social media or some other means to find like-minded folks to ride with? I've either got to find fit older folks or out of shape youngsters. My distant past experience with relatively serious running tells me the best way to improve is the push yourself with a group and while I have no problem doing 40-50 mile solo rides, a once-a-week group ride would be a nice change.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you're young and living in your hometown it's much easier. I've converted a few guys into bike riders back when but usually wind up riding solo since I left my hometown in the mid '80s. Riding with partners is usually better if you're buddies because you'll push each other a bit and maybe stay out longer.

Some bike shops have group rides, some daily. That's usually the way the hot dogs get company and nowadays some shops have intermediate group rides as well. But if you're living in a remote place it would be a hassle just to drive an hour there and back. I've never tried the internet for riding partners but you might want to try your luck at it.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a very small town in FL. I have to drive 12 miles to get to the closest paved trail. Another one is 22 miles away.
    I've found a few group rides thru the closest bike shop (30 miles away) and Facebook. Seems a few BF members are at some of the rides. Who knew???
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I met my riding buddy, Frank, was passing him on the path at the MUP. I commented on his bike as I was passing him and we started chatting for about a mile or so. The next time I saw him there, I was pulling into the parking lot as he was leaving. We started talking again and that pretty much started our friendship. After that, each time we saw each other, one of us would turn around and ride with the other. Now we plan rides together all the time.

Social media is fine, but sometimes it's better just be friendly and strike up a conversation and go from there.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, '03 Colnago Dream Lux, several older family Treks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met my riding partner while riding. Didn't know she rode, she didn't know I rode. Her husband rides occasionally and my wife rides occasionally. We've all known each other for decades. Both are fine with she and riding together as its far safer and as my wife says, "if something happens to you she'll call for help and vice versa".
    Amerika, Land of the Very Brief.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to try checking the Regional Forums for your area, Nor cal, I think for your location, if you haven't already done this. You can post that you want to set up a ride on such and such a date and time and see who responds. Best of luck on getting rides organized, it will be worth your time to do this

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started riding two years ago and several things have worked for me. I let several co-workers who are runners know what I was doing; started cycling. That led to finding a group about 15 miles away but they were way above my skill level at the time, not anymore

I rode with them for awhile but started researching the Internet for events and group rides in my area. Found a small local group but made some very good friends. Now I ride with multiple groups, and do a lot of organized rides. I've also found FB a great way to keep in touch and get better group rides....but most of the people I ride with are in their 20-40s so they use social media quite frequently.

Just give it time and don't be afraid to use the Internet and social media if that is what other people in your area use.

Spreading the word to friends and co-workers also helped me get started and eventually someone will know another person who rides or about a group.

BTW, I currently ride at least 600 miles a month from 0 two years ago. Good luck!
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try visiting the local bike shop and telling them very clearly what kind of riding partners you are looking for. Aside from their organized rides, they may know about someone lookjing for the same thing. Facebook is great for finding riding partners. If the LBS or nearest bike club has a page or group, try posting when you plan to ride and see if anyone shows up. Be patient and persistent. Looking for riding partners can be a lot like looking for women to date.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    ..... Be patient and persistent. ......
    Solid advice as were the rest of the suggestions!

I think my best opportunities will present after I retire in a few months. I belong to a very large club (plus two others), but the closest and largest generally burns way too much daylight (0930 or 1000 starts and long rest stops); still, post retirement, I can do a few more rides and try to meet some like-minded riders. I also have the option of scheduling club rides at 0800 and see who shows up.

I'll stop by the small bike shop in town and ask again about riders of my ability. I don't believe they have anything on the web, but I might suggest they put up a bulletin boards.

My pace (typically, 30-40 miles, 50'/mile, 16 mph) seems to be in a bit of a no mans land, but we'll see how things go.
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than what others have suggested I don't see a lot of folks jumping out of the woodwork in Hollister to go riding with; maybe you should post up at the LBS as a ride leader (either for ACTC or whichever club you belong to) and see who joins you, or just start talking to strangers you encounter on your rides. While the area is pretty enough, perhaps there are more limited routes (read loops) to ride, unlike the countless number of loops found further north in SJ and beyond. Every time I go by there I do wish I were on my bike riding Airline Highway, not that the speeds on that road are all that ideal, but it does seem the ideal scenery to be lost in thought.. Good luck.

PS-why don't you go join the Specialized lunch ride and see if you can get Sinyard to move down to Hollister?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of my last three riding partners (one at a time) were through my church, the 3rd through my singing group (and church). All three have moved away, and have not been replaced. I have one person who would likely ride with me if asked, but I really don't want to ride with him.

So, I ride solo or with my wife for very short rides.

And, I love the freedom to ride when and where I want.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post

PS-why don't you go join the Specialized lunch ride and see if you can get Sinyard to move down to Hollister?
    Missed this the first time around. Good One!

The nicest rides in/around Hollister are dead-end ranch road climbs: no cars, scenic, etc.: Lone Tree, Quien Sabe, Santa Anita (Freemont Peak in San Juan Bautista). Cienega is a nice loop. Airline to the Pinacles isn't bad if you ignore the ever-present return headwind (30 miles of it)
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture