Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The bad news

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The bad news

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 05:20 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
So the people who were concerned and savvy enough to give you some aspirin didn't suggest it was a bad idea to keep exercising if the suspicion was some sort of cardiac issue with chest pain?
Short of physically restraining me they did what they could. With the advantage of hindsight I'm glad that I continued on into town.
Old 05-29-13, 05:44 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Hope all goes well today. Do let us know.
Old 05-29-13, 05:59 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
RG, what's the update? I'm glad that you're having these symptoms investigated by professionals. I hope that the doctor(s) listen to you and have the wisdom to check everyting. Twice. Take care, Phil
Old 05-29-13, 06:07 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Splattering Mrs. Grouch with mud wasn't the worst thing that happened to us Saturday.

Shortly after the photo was taken I was having some difficulty and eventually felt a slight pain (1 on a 10 scale), about the size of my fist, right under my breast bone. We stopped and rested and some folks gave me a low dose aspirin that seemed to help. I managed to ride another 7 or 8 miles to Rocheport where we begged a ride back to Columbia to retrieve our car. I'm still coming to grips with the incident. I want to change doctors so now I have to find a new doctor who will see me this week. I have 2 months of vacation after tomorrow that I don't want to waste but Mrs. Grouch won't let me ride by myself until I get cleared by the doctor. I hate it when she's right.

As an interesting aside, the stranger who drove me back to Columbia wouldn't accept anything in exchange for the favor. Not even gas money. Since she operates a wine tasteing restaurant I suggested to my wife that we pay to have my sister-in-law, who operates a winery, send her a couple of bottles. The sister-in-law is all for sending the wine, but she won't accept any money either. Sometimes repaying a favor is hard to do.

We'll see how it goes. We have planned a bicycling vacation in Door County, Wisconsin for later this month. Unless something comes up we're still planning to go, but will probably limit our bicycling to short rides.
When you have such things you go to ER. Cardiac concerns are what they are there for and if you are on Medicare cardiac screenings and wellness benefits are often free of most or all expenses.

Being that I have Parts A, B, D, state Medicaid and Extra Help with my SSDI and learned a lot last year after nearly dying last July I'd urge you to explore any benefits you qualify for.

I will be 47 next month. Having lost my dad to cancer two Christmases back and my grandmother to regular 94 year old age two months ago I know Mrs. Grouch thinks nothing of the expenses vs. losing her favorite Grouch. Money means fairly little compared to life.
Old 05-29-13, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
RG, what's the update? I'm glad that you're having these symptoms investigated by professionals. I hope that the doctor(s) listen to you and have the wisdom to check everyting. Twice. Take care, Phil
See the (new) doctor at 4:30 this afternoon. Picked her because she has a reputation for thoroughness. The cardiologist in the same clinic gets good reviews from some friends of ours too.
Old 05-29-13, 07:46 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Sure hope it was just a little indegestion. At our age we alway worry tho.
Old 05-29-13, 08:25 AM
rlp

Bikes: Franco Kanan, Santana Arriva and Beyond Tandems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly lurk on the site and only hit it a few times a week so I am just finding this thread. Interesting enough I'm going through almost the exact same thing you are. Pain in the right pec muscle when riding, never bad enough to stop the ride, I though it was something to do with my position on the bike. On cold mornings I would get nauseated about 10min into the ride it would last a couple of minutes and then go away (as it turns out this is what really worried the doctor). After about three weeks of testing and being referred to a cardiologist I am heading for the hospital tomorrow for a probable stent. The real lesson learned is listen to your body!
Old 05-29-13, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent
I'm thinking the opposite.

I've been dealing with declining performance for a long time. I'd rather have a problem that can be repaired and bring me back closer to what I used to be able to do.
Old 05-29-13, 12:04 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
From experience, i know when you feel chest pain, it's better to go to the ER immediately.

Good luck, R.C. (Does,your new dr. know why you've made the appointment?)
Old 05-29-13, 01:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking the opposite.

I've been dealing with declining performance for a long time. I'd rather have a problem that can be repaired and bring me back closer to what I used to be able to do.
Some one mention indigestion?

Had it on the way to work one morning--3 months later and a triple bypass.

In hindsight I had the same intensity of indigestion a few years before and only one occurrence. As I said-In hindsight but it went away and I did not have another occurrence till the bad one.

Time to get it checked out before something more serious may occur.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-29-13, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another possible explanation

There are many conditions that can mimic the symptoms of a heart attack. A common one is called costochondritis. https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cos...dritis/DS00626 it is an inflammation of cartilage where the ribs meet the sternum. This is not uncommon with cyclists because of the bent-over position on the bike. One way you can tell the difference is that the pain changes (better or worse) when you stretch your arms or back. Heart attack pain won't change when you change your position. When I get it, I stretch and rub my sternum, and if it seems to make the pain better, it means I can get back on the bike, take some Advil, and stop worrying. Hope that's all it is - best of luck.
Old 05-29-13, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck Retro
Old 05-29-13, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I will continue to keep a good thought for the Grouch household.

Jeff, still fat
Old 05-29-13, 05:14 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hope we hear good news from you soon Al.
Old 05-29-13, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8277 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
+1
Old 05-29-13, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
+2
Old 05-30-13, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Righto, Retro, what's the diagnosis and prognosis? Concerned minds wish to know.
Old 05-30-13, 06:43 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S3 Ultegra 2012 TREK Superfly 29'r FS 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Some one mention indigestion?

Had it on the way to work one morning--3 months later and a triple bypass.

In hindsight I had the same intensity of indigestion a few years before and only one occurrence. As I said-In hindsight but it went away and I did not have another occurrence till the bad one.

Time to get it checked out before something more serious may occur.
Stapfam makes a good point/observation. I have a good friend who was complaining of indigestion of and on for a few weeks. We were doing a hard track session ( I know running, but we bike as well) and he collapsed on the track. We rushed him to the local hospital where they determined that he had some major blockages that needed immediate attention. He was medivaced to a place that could handle his condition. He is now doing well. He too mentioned the indigestion and an overall feeling of weakness for a period of time prior.

Best of luck to you.
Old 05-30-13, 08:05 AM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacob1953
There are many conditions that can mimic the symptoms of a heart attack. A common one is called costochondritis. https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cos...dritis/DS00626 it is an inflammation of cartilage where the ribs meet the sternum. This is not uncommon with cyclists because of the bent-over position on the bike. One way you can tell the difference is that the pain changes (better or worse) when you stretch your arms or back. Heart attack pain won't change when you change your position. When I get it, I stretch and rub my sternum, and if it seems to make the pain better, it means I can get back on the bike, take some Advil, and stop worrying. Hope that's all it is - best of luck.
Thanks for that tip.
Awaiting a positive report from the op.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 05-30-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-30-13, 10:35 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Hoping and keeping you in my prayers for everything to turn out okay. Please be careful and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bill
A big +1 from me!
Best regards
Old 05-30-13, 01:27 PM

I had blood work and a regular EKG this morning but haven't been advised about the results. Stress test is tomorrow at noon. That one I'm thinking they might not want me going home afterward.
Old 05-30-13, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
This was many years ago, but...

My group rode to a nearby town for breakfast. One of the faster guys was having indigestion; but the fire dept was right across the street so someone thought to go over and retrieve an EMT. He didn't finish his ride that day. The good news is, he's still around. Hopefully, you will be too.
Old 05-31-13, 12:35 PM

Stress test was fine for as far as we went but had to quit at 120 BPM because I couldn't breathe. I'd be happier if they found something wrong that they could fix.
Old 05-31-13, 12:49 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like they haven't detected any major problems yet, so that's a plus. Good luck finding the cause; let us know. We're pulling for you.
Old 05-31-13, 11:13 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Your symptoms sound a lot like what I had last year. Turns out I had a bad aortic valve. One painful surgery and a year of PT and I am the strongest that I have been in 15 years. It could be the 125 miles a week of hills that did me in and brought me back. Good luck, we know it will all turn out for the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.