Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need to Vent

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need to Vent

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-05, 05:07 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Need to Vent

Okay, RonH is not going to like this, but today I just need to vent a bit.

1. My Trigeminal Neuralgia, which has been calm these last few months, decided to flare up yesterday. This means that just scratching my nose or chewing will cause intense, unbearable, electric-like pains. Yes, there are meds, but the meds make you feel terrible, also, and are not real good for your liver.

2. I am pouring meds like a pharmacist. My atrial fibrillation requires two meds daily, and I take a two meds for hypertension. We are getting ready to travel to Yellowstone Saturday, and I have been "pourong" my meds in preparation for the 8 day trip. I feel as if I am dependent on meds for my very life.

3. I can't get the $%#@$$#@! sleep apnea thingy to work well for me, and I have just given up on it. I don't even think I have SA, but the new doc says I do. Is it worth it to be exhausted during the day from not sleeping beacuse of the sleep apnea treatment so I can be "treated?" Otherwise, I feel and seem to sleep fine. I think the good rest is much more important than the CPAP machine. I really don't know ANYONE who successfully uses one of those thingys on a long-term basis!

Okay, I have spoke my piece.

On the brighter side, I got 3 hours of bicycling in yesterday, and the wife and I did a nice 12 miler today with a deli lunch.

We are leaving Saturday for an 8 day trip to Yellowstone (Gardiner, MT) and are taking our mtn bikes.

Hmm!

Guess things could be worse.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Have a great day!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-19-05 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-19-05, 05:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Did they give you a CPAP for sleep apnea? I can't sleep with mine either - it blows me up like a balloon!
Old 05-19-05, 05:27 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Did they give you a CPAP for sleep apnea? I can't sleep with mine either - it blows me up like a balloon!
Yes, I have tried two different adapters - one "nasal pillow" which caused tremendous irritation to my nasal linings and my nose was running constantly, and then a mouth-only device which sticks in your mouth between your lips and your teeth, and even with a built-in humidifier, dries your mouth out so it feels like cotton.

Treatment for SA is still in the darkest of ages, IMHO.

And they tell you that "Everyone loves the CPAP's." Ha!
Old 05-20-05, 05:54 AM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the machine, change the first "P" to an "R" and you might see what the machine really is, since that is how it makes you feel.
Old 05-20-05, 05:59 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bnet1
On the machine, change the first "P" to an "R" and you might see what the machine really is, since that is how it makes you feel.

The CRAP machine!

Glad you are posting again, and hope you are feeling great!
Old 05-20-05, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fox;

Has your doctor done a thyroid test! Iwent through a period like this and my doc basicall said my thyroid wasn't putting out enough. Well I'm praying for you. I hope to get up to Winter Park this summer. I beleief in the Lord's ability to heal...hope this doesn't offend but He has helped me so many times I have lost count. swilliams
Old 05-20-05, 01:47 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bobo35
Fox;

Has your doctor done a thyroid test! Iwent through a period like this and my doc basicall said my thyroid wasn't putting out enough. Well I'm praying for you. I hope to get up to Winter Park this summer. I beleief in the Lord's ability to heal...hope this doesn't offend but He has helped me so many times I have lost count. swilliams
Yes, thyroid tests, EKG's, sonograms, etc. If they make the test, I have had it. Thyroid is doing great.
Old 05-21-05, 05:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you been checked for GERD? You know, the stomach juices that backwash into the breathing tubes while one sleeps...
Old 05-21-05, 10:43 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tried to compose an encouraging note to help you along with your problems. Can't find the words, but then do you want our sympathy? Sorry wrong words again, but this is all going to go wrong.

Sorry about your problems and hopefully you will get over them, but glad to see that you are putting them behind you to get on with the important things in life , like the wife, family and cycling

Doug
Old 05-24-05, 01:48 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Denver, all I can offer is my friendship and emotional support. You and Nora have both.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-24-05, 02:52 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish it weren't so for you Denver. I suspect though that if you are taking 2 meds for atrial fibrilation, you may indeed be dependent on them for your life. I enjoy your posts, so hope that you will continue to follow your doc's instructions. Have a great trip.