Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Reached Escape Velocity Today

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-02-13, 02:22 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My planned ride today was to get a little hill work in, the first of the season, usually I would have been starting this at the end of April, but life... Anyway, started out headed west towards the hills along the Mohawk river. I first go through the Schenectady Stockade, a section of town where most of the homes are 1700s. Conservative Dutch settlement, no great architecture. In the center you pass this statue.

Riding on you start to follow the old Erie Canal bed, wild flowers were in bloom on the old canal.

And then you pass an old lock

And finally a new lock on the Mohawk where the waterway is today - Lock 8.

A little ways further you go away from the canal and start up the hill. There are numerous roads to take up, each with it's own character. I decide on a favorite training hill, it has terraces the has moderate grade mixed with high grade pitches. A good workout. Now that I am out of shape again this is a lot more work and a lot less fun, but I need to keep some level of fitness. It is hot and humid and I am moving slow up the steep grades. The bugs are circling my helmet, sweat bees, black flys, mosquitoes and nats. I am just waiting for them to come in for the kill. Then I get to thinking, how fast do you have to go before these guys leave you alone. I was moving about 4mph. At the end of that steep I get a little relief and can go a little faster. 5MPH, still there, 6MPH still there, I dig deep and get up to 8MPH and they start to disappear but still buzz me.
I hit the next steep and they are back, sweat rolling down my face - this time I think they brought the families for a bicyclist buffet. I crest that steep and then start to push hard, it's also a little flatter - 8.5MPH - they are gone, escape velocity reached!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
phpQ5XkgAAM.jpg (94.0 KB, 24 views)
phpEIs1SwAM.jpg (99.2 KB, 19 views)
phpHxjrghAM.jpg (85.1 KB, 21 views)
php0M3zNsAM.jpg (94.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-02-13, 03:18 PM

Bikes: 1979 schwinn varsity

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good on you! I always try to ride at the speed of light but end up going the speed of dark.
Old 06-02-13, 03:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fun post with great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-13, 03:54 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
In before the lock.

Originally Posted by cyclinfool

Sorry.

Old 06-02-13, 06:52 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
In before the lock.
Groan
Old 06-03-13, 06:58 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T600, 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool

The bugs are circling my helmet, sweat bees, black flys, mosquitoes and nats. I am just waiting for them to come in for the kill. Then I get to thinking, how fast do you have to go before these guys leave you alone. I was moving about 4mph. At the end of that steep I get a little relief and can go a little faster. 5MPH, still there, 6MPH still there, I dig deep and get up to 8MPH and they start to disappear but still buzz me.
I hit the next steep and they are back, sweat rolling down my face - this time I think they brought the families for a bicyclist buffet. I crest that steep and then start to push hard, it's also a little flatter - 8.5MPH - they are gone, escape velocity reached!
I tested your theory today...8.5 mph, right on! Thanks for this small but important contribution to physics! We can call it the Cyclinfool Theorem.
Old 06-04-13, 07:09 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get bothered too much by the insects. But I used to ride the hills between RT's 5 and 147. On Johnson Rd about a mile or so up the hill from RT 5. There is an old farmhouse(now vacant) on the right that some years ago had a little 3 legged dog that would come out and chase me and every other cyclist coming up that hill. The first time you would see him you would laugh. But that little SOB was fast! It was bad enough to struggle up that long hill, but to get "pwned" by a 3 legged dog at the top was a great motivator to train harder.
Old 06-04-13, 08:35 AM
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts
Our deerflies are faster than the insects you have listed. We rent a lakeside "cottage" in central Ontario every year, and I do an 8-mile bike run on the gravel cottage roads every morning to pick up the newspaper from a marina at a nearby lake. I wear cotton rather than lycra, and hope like crazy I don't get a flat. The hills are steep so I get a few bites - escape velocity is probably more like 12mph but I'll check next time I go up there.

Last year my wife used a sticky insect patch on the back of her cap on her morning walk - she came back saying the files were just as bad, but the patch had a dozen or more stuck to it.
Old 06-04-13, 06:36 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velonomad
I don't get bothered too much by the insects. But I used to ride the hills between RT's 5 and 147. On Johnson Rd about a mile or so up the hill from RT 5. There is an old farmhouse(now vacant) on the right that some years ago had a little 3 legged dog that would come out and chase me and every other cyclist coming up that hill. The first time you would see him you would laugh. But that little SOB was fast! It was bad enough to struggle up that long hill, but to get "pwned" by a 3 legged dog at the top was a great motivator to train harder.
Johnson is a favorite, this little jaunt was up Washout. I would probably come out totally eaten up if I had gone up Crawford...