Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hanging bikes on my garage wall: need advice

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 06:00 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

I'm tired of the mess of bikes littering my garage, and finally freed some wall space to plant hangers.

Help my avoid errors in my hanging plan.

I have 9 bikes, some drop bar, some flat bar.

My basic notion is to hammer a 2x4 into the studs and put hooks on it, then hang the bikes wheels-to-wall.

I'm thinking I need 2 levels to stagger the bikes and make the most of my space.

I plan to let the rear tire hit the floor, or at least get close and then put a shelf above the bikes.

Do any of you have a set up like this?

If so: How much did you stagger the bikes vertically, and how much space did you leave horizontally?

Photos would be great. Any helpful advice appreciated. I'm not much of a DIY guy, or craftsman, but I really want to make this work.
Old 06-09-13, 06:15 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I hang mine upside down from the garage rafters, which are spaced 2' O.C.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-09-13, 06:19 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Your basic notion seems correct.

Mine are in the living room, and in spots with little wall space, but it's the same idea.

Huh. Note the two seasons represented. A/C and green leaves in the first, studded snow tires on the orange bike and snow on the ground in the second.

I left enough space under the longest bike (when on the lowest hook) that I can still get the broom through there without moving the bikes and without any fuss. The bike clears the floor by about 2".

The rails are offset 15" both horizontally and vertically. This is just sufficient for my road bikes, (42 cm or 16½" bars) and should probably be used as a minimum if you'll be hanging all the bikes by the same wheel, front or back.

You can get them closer together horizontally, and don't necessarily have to stagger either, if alternate hanging them front wheel, back wheel. If you do stagger, 15" vertically is a little close for lifting the lower bike off the hood without knocking into the bars of the upper bike. Most mornings I can do it.

You're on your own for MTBs, but the key horizontal distance will be a smidge more than your widest bars.
Old 06-09-13, 06:41 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Thanks you two!
John E, I need to do the wall as the garage door would get in the way.

tsl: nice set up! It's a lot like what I'm looking for, right down to the lock. I plan to sink some sort of eye bolt into the cement in the garage. I realize no lock is perfect, but I at least want to slow down the quick grab artist.

We thought about hanging every other one upside down, but we're both smallish, and we ride a lot. We don't want to wrestle with them at all, and putting them bars up at least seems like it would be easier.
Old 06-09-13, 07:53 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
mess of bikes littering my garage

First Order Of Business
: Any bike that hasn't been ridden or worked on in the last two years needs to be given away or sold.

Last edited by BigAura; 06-09-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Curtis, sorry no photos. My set up is like TSL's except I hang one bars up and the next one bars down. No height staggering needed.
Old 06-09-13, 08:18 PM
Erect member since 1953

Originally Posted by BigAura

First Order Of Business
: Any bike that hasn't been ridden or worked on in the last two years needs to be given away or sold.
Not my situation.
I have a road, commuter, mountain and fixed.
My wife has a commuter, road and mountain
Daughter has a commuter and mountain.

They all get a quite a bit of work. Granted the mountain bikes don't get near as much these days, But they all get ridden regularly.

Thanks for your concern
Old 06-09-13, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any reason why you have your bikes chained to the radiator in your house?
Old 06-09-13, 08:29 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Not my situation.

Thanks for your concern
Just making sure they are getting the proper love and respect. It sounds like they are
Old 06-09-13, 08:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
Prevent theft.
Old 06-09-13, 09:19 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would use construction screws to attach the 2 x 4s (or maybe a wide strip of 3/4" plywood?) to your wall studs. Hammering is passe these days. The plywood would give you more area to attach your hangers, for versatility and options.
Old 06-09-13, 09:53 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cccorlew, 'don't know if your garage walls look like mine, but here ya go. Just regular old J hooks.

Old 06-09-13, 10:16 PM
Erect member since 1953

Hammer? I said hammer? I guess I did. But really, I'll use screws.
t4mv, the wall is has wall board, so I think it will be easier to mount a holding piece rather than try to track down all studs. Plus, then I can hang teh hooks spaced exactly where I need them. Your wall, however, looks perfect, and exactly what I'm hoping to achieve.

I plan to chain them down as well. It would be too sad to have them disappear. Maybe it won't help enough, but it can't hurt.
Old 06-09-13, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I do the poor man's version of tsl. Just bike hooks staggered on two 2X4s. The vertical spacing is eighteen inches and the horizontal is a little over ten inches.

Now when are you going to get a tandem and really make this storage thing difficult?
Old 06-09-13, 11:02 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
mine

I needed storage space so I made a simple box out of 2x4's laying around and have door screens and misc large, light objects on top of this rack. The bikes either hang from the wall, or if you look closely you'll see there are also hooks from the top of the rack. My pugs with fat tires is tied up to the side of the rack. Wife's Spec. Ruby in front. I'm trying to picture how best one would mount a bike with the rear wheel up. I suppose it's not too tricky, buy my bikes hang off the ground with a bit more storage room under them, which I think makes hanging them upside down impractical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0799.jpg (103.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0799.jpg (102.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 06-10-13, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
Those old radiators are hard to come by and are worth allot of money.Showed to the wife she said don't get any ideas!I think it looks cool. BTW when is your wife coming home?
Old 06-22-13, 11:19 PM
Erect member since 1953

Thanks all! Here's what I ended up doing with input I got here.

My first effort, attaching hooks to the studs, put the bikes too far apart and I couldn't arrange them all like i wanted. It didn't work for me.

garage work FAIL by ccorlew, on Flickr

I ended up attaching 2x4s and adding the hooks about a foot apart, staggered.
Next up: Attaching bolts in the concrete for security. They, however, are locked up even now.

garage work amost finished by ccorlew, on Flickr
Old 06-23-13, 03:29 AM

Bikes: Fuji Altamira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank for the ideas. I have three bikes that I really want to get up off the garage floor. I can't pull the car in with the bikes parked around. I want ot build a hanging device to hang three bikes above a motorcycle. I think the 2x4 and padded hooks will do the trick. I just hope the two comfort bikes are not too heavy to lift into place. I'll hang horizontally and probably go three deep so I'll need a good support for beams sticking out from the wall. I'll post pics when I get it done, may be a few weeks.
Old 06-23-13, 05:47 AM
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Rent a hammer drill for your concrete floor anchor. It's ten times easier than trying to drill with a regular power drill. Use epoxy and an eyebolt.

And I found this security anchor page. But you probably don't need anything that sturdy.
Old 06-23-13, 05:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks all! Here's what I ended up doing with input I got here.

My first effort, attaching hooks to the studs, put the bikes too far apart and I couldn't arrange them all like i wanted. It didn't work for me.

garage work FAIL by ccorlew, on Flickr

I ended up attaching 2x4s and adding the hooks about a foot apart, staggered.
Next up: Attaching bolts in the concrete for security. They, however, are locked up even now.

garage work amost finished by ccorlew, on Flickr
Nice, but where do you keep your snow blower; de-icer; ice scraper; snow shovels; sand?
Old 06-23-13, 06:04 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Uhh,,,, I'm guessing you're single.

Originally Posted by tsl
Your basic notion seems correct.

Mine are in the living room, and in spots with little wall space, but it's the same idea.

Huh. Note the two seasons represented. A/C and green leaves in the first, studded snow tires on the orange bike and snow on the ground in the second.

I left enough space under the longest bike (when on the lowest hook) that I can still get the broom through there without moving the bikes and without any fuss. The bike clears the floor by about 2".

The rails are offset 15" both horizontally and vertically. This is just sufficient for my road bikes, (42 cm or 16½" bars) and should probably be used as a minimum if you'll be hanging all the bikes by the same wheel, front or back.

You can get them closer together horizontally, and don't necessarily have to stagger either, if alternate hanging them front wheel, back wheel. If you do stagger, 15" vertically is a little close for lifting the lower bike off the hood without knocking into the bars of the upper bike. Most mornings I can do it.

You're on your own for MTBs, but the key horizontal distance will be a smidge more than your widest bars.
Old 06-23-13, 09:02 AM
Erect member since 1953

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Nice, but where do you keep your snow blower; de-icer; ice scraper; snow shovels; sand?
What's a snow blower? I think I can guess, but I have no idea what a de-icer is.
Old 06-23-13, 10:07 AM
Erect member since 1953

By the way, all that clean garage was created with tons of help from my "jersey vault" organizer daughter. My son helped me install the bike hangers.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...y-jersey-vault

Our garage is now cleaner and better organized than it's been in 14 years. We got rid of so mush carefully packed stuff we didn't need. Heck who needs software from 12 years ago that won't even run on any computer we own? I also let go of the two non-functional Miata batteries (I don't even own a Miata any longer...) that I just never got around to raking to the hazardous waste center.

Really, all we have left is some paint to go through, and take it to the chemical drop off.
Old 06-23-13, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
What's a snow blower? I think I can guess, but I have no idea what a de-icer is.
Wise guy.
Old 06-23-13, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I recently built a "man cave" for a client with a bunch of bikes. I was going to put up rails, but it ended up working out to put the hooks on each 16" o/c stud, staggered 9" vertically. He had mostly mountain bikes. Made sure to put the hooks high enough so that the longest WB bike well cleared the floor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.