Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anybody here use a camelbak

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 07:45 AM

Bikes: 1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wife brought home a camelbak type hydration pack she found at a local "bulk" store for cheap.
I've never used one, never really thought much about them, but it looks intruquing. Has lotsa hidey holes in it.
Got a 90 mile ride tomorrow and it supposed to be hot, so thinking about trying it out.
Anyway, question is; have you ever used one, and do you like it?
Old 06-21-13, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
I've used one. I still do for mountain biking. Not a big fan for road biking. For the road they are a bit heavy and place weight on your back when you are in a crouch. They are hot. The water is often warm and sometimes has a taste. I find I don't need all the storage for road biking. For mountain biking you need more storage and the weight on your back is better distributed onto your shoulders. They are still hot for the up hills and the water can get warm and a bit funky. The better ones have a bit more insulation for the water bladder.
Old 06-21-13, 09:00 AM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a pack with a bladder on my mtb but not on the road bike. My mtb fit is more upright so the pack sits better while it wouldn't be comfortable on my road bike with a more aggressive posture. Also, I can reach for a bottle on the road easily, while on the trail I prefer to have the drink tube within a few inches.
Old 06-21-13, 09:05 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
I got one some years ago for long distance road riding. I've used it a few times, and that's it.

Not liking the extra weight on my back (and also the arse), I only use it when absolutely necessary (long rides without available water). For me, there are better alternatives.

Old 06-21-13, 09:17 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used one both road and mountain biking. Won't ride without one. Mixed reviews - some people hate carrying the weight on their back... I use one 'cause I hate reaching down for bottles and frankly I will drink more using a Camelbak. Plus I also ride multiple bikes so the tools etc go in the Camelbak and I don't have to worry if I have something on the bike. It's a very personal choice - for me, it's the best thing ever! For others, not so much... pure roadies think they look stupid - frankly I don't care. I can add ice to the bladder and have lots of cool water on a ride! Clean out the bladder regularly and only use water, there should be no funky taste. Plus you get use to the weight... I have worn one (from smaller - Rogue, to very large - Hog) for years and hardly feel it at all.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 06-21-13 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 09:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use one on hot days. Fill with ice and top off with water and you have cold water for the whole ride. If the water tastes funny, replace the bladder. It is cheap and will fix that problem. It is a life saver for me
Old 06-21-13, 09:25 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
... For the road they are a bit heavy and place weight on your back when you are in a crouch. They are hot. The water is often warm and sometimes has a taste. I find I don't need all the storage for road biking. For mountain biking you need more storage and the weight on your back is better distributed onto your shoulders. They are still hot for the up hills and the water can get warm and a bit funky. The better ones have a bit more insulation for the water bladder.
This answer is pretty spot on.
Old 06-21-13, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5, 2013 Trek Domane 4.3, 2009 Trek FX 7.6

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use one for longer rides. I'm short so my bike only has one water bottle holder. Most don't like them but i find I drink more also like the poster above. I'll carry a few more items than I normally would. I say don't worry what others think. If you feel comfortable with it go for it.
Old 06-21-13, 10:04 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm with Pamestique being mountain biker and road. Only use it on the road for longer rides where more than one bottle is required but it is so easy to continually sip from the Camelback that I do not get de-hydrated. Mine is just the basic one with just a small pocket with a zip so I will not get tempted to carry "Extra" tools or clothing to my normal rides. 1.5 litres of water will do me for a couple of hours on a hot ride and even up a long climb where reaching for the bottle may be put off for a while- the Camelback is used continually.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-21-13, 10:23 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Almost always on the mountain bike. Almost never on the road bike. When riding singletrack, there are very few times when I can safely take a hand off the grip long enough to grab a bottle, sip and replace the bottle. No such problem on the road. As long as I can hydrate without the load on my back, I let the horse carry the load. The only time I use a hydration pack on the road is when I know I'll be riding somewhere where there are no opportunities to refill bottles after a couple of hours or so. Even then I prefer to just carry an extra water bottle in my jersey pocket or on the rack or saddle bag if I'm on a bike so equipped.
Old 06-21-13, 10:30 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi,

I use the Camelbak 100oz Unbottle and use it for all of my rides longer than 15 miles. I attack it to the back of my (recumbent) seat, so I don't carry the weight myself and I only use water in it. I adore it and find it very useful for riding in the heat

For the metric century I just (barely...) completed, I put a lot of ice in it. When I was finished 6 1/2 hours later, the water was still ice cold.

I don't know that anybody has figured out how to mount one on a bike except for recumbents; that would make it much nicer for DF bikes...

Cheers,
Charles
Old 06-21-13, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I (almost) always use one on 100+ mile rides.

I (almost) never use it on shorter rides.

If it's fitted well, I cannot even feel the Camelbak, and do not find that the added weight makes any difference - even on hot days, I'm barely aware that it's there.

Also - get the little hook that connects the drinking hose to the sternum strap. That way you'll be able to reach down and sip without taking your hands off the handle bar - which is very useful.
Old 06-21-13, 11:12 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Mule model for off road. Carries my pump and more complete multitool with chainbreaker, a necessity remote locations. Accessories will rattle and fly off of an MTB. For my road bike...no. Bottles are fine and there are a few ways to carry them.
Old 06-21-13, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
There have been a few times that I wished I had a Camelbak full of water.....

Old 06-21-13, 01:40 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
There have been a few times that I wished I had a Camelbak full of water.....
I am the only one of my friends on a road rides that uses a Camelbak. Several times on long hot rides, friends have run out of water and we have to spend time either finding a store or some ratty hose/faucet somewhere. On the hose/faucet finds, I am glad I have Camelbak filled with cold, filtered water!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-21-13, 03:31 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I use one on rides over 40 miles. Shorter rides if it is really hot. It is good to have, but kinda bulky so I leave it behind for the shorter rides.

I have found a technique for making "Mega Ice Cubes" I put about 6-8 oz water each into ziplock baggies and freeze them over night. Cubes that big take longer to melt (lower surface area to volume ratio). Mine is a HydraPack, not a Camel Back, thought I have had one of those. The giant ice cubes go into the HydraPack easily, though you may want to make them smaller to get them into the CamelBack opening, which is smaller. Freezing a partly filled bladder then topping with water will work, but if water freezes in the valve it may be up to an hour into your ride before you can draw from it. (Been there done that)

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 06-21-13 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 03:43 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If it tastes funny, wash it with dish detergent and water, rinse well several times. Then rinse it with 1 teaspoon of bleach in a bucket of water and let it sit for a half hour. Rinse well several times again, and then let it soak with a few Tablespoons of baking soda in cold water (full) for overnight. Dump the soda, rinse a few more times with clear water, and it should be good to go without any foreign tastes.

Make sure it is washed and rinsed, and thoroughly dried, between uses.

On long, hot, rides, fill with ice and then fill with water, and use it first. Then, go to the water bottles if needed. Fill the water bottles with ice cubes as well, then water.

I find a healthy squeeze of a wedge of lemon, in water bottles, and Camelbacks, does wonders for a refreshing drink of water. You are not making lemonade, just trying to introduce a very slight flavor to the water. It also covers up any chlorine or funny tastes.

Last edited by Wanderer; 06-21-13 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 04:06 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
As a one-handed rider, pulling and replacing the water bottle while pedaling is a no hands, bent over operation. Doable, but occasionally wobbly, and probably not suitable for groups. My kids got me a camelback to solve the problem. Works fine on commutes, inside the backback I carry anyway. For hard rides, I found that the breathing time lost from sucking and then swallowing, vs. squeezing the bottle, is more hindrance than help, so I usually end up waiting for a stop to hydrate. If I ever make any friends, maybe they can carry the water bottles and hand them to me between stops
Old 06-21-13, 04:15 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
For hard rides, I found that the breathing time lost from sucking and then swallowing, vs. squeezing the bottle, is more hindrance than help, so I usually end up waiting for a stop to hydrate.
I had this experience too. I have developed a technique that works involving timed sips and little swallows. Takes practice.
Old 06-21-13, 06:30 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I use one all the time. In hot weather, put ice in it, then water, then carry Gatorade or whatever in your waterbottles. A camelbak keeps stuff cooler than insulated water bottles. Buy a spare tip, put it in a baggie, throw down at the bottom, and if you ever lose the tip, you've got a spare.
Old 06-21-13, 07:59 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use them w/ the mtb deep in the woods when I know Im not going to be able to refill my bottles (yes I bring 2 full bottles on the mtb as well as the camelback). On the road there are many places to replenish my fluids.
Old 06-21-13, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use mine on hot days, especially if 50 miles or more. I don't find them uncomfortable while on the road bike. I fill the bladder half full or so the night before, then freeze it on a cookie sheet (to keep it flat). In the morning, fill the rest of the way with water, and I have had ice cold water for a full 4 hours.
Old 06-21-13, 09:29 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
If it tastes funny, wash it with dish detergent and water, rinse well several times. Then rinse it with 1 teaspoon of bleach in a bucket of water and let it sit for a half hour. Rinse well several times again, and then let it soak with a few Tablespoons of baking soda in cold water (full) for overnight. Dump the soda, rinse a few more times with clear water, and it should be good to go without any foreign tastes.
Or toss in a shot of scotch, shake it around, and rinse. Next time you use it, the water tastes great!

Also - I keep mine in the freezer when not in use.

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I have found a technique for making "Mega Ice Cubes" I put about 6-8 oz water each into ziplock baggies and freeze them over night. Cubes that big take longer to melt (lower surface area to volume ratio). Mine is a HydraPack, not a Camel Back, thought I have had one of those. The giant ice cubes go into the HydraPack easily, though you may want to make them smaller to get them into the CamelBack opening, which is smaller. Freezing a partly filled bladder then topping with water will work, but if water freezes in the valve it may be up to an hour into your ride before you can draw from it. (Been there done that)
That reduces the amount of available drinking water.

Easier technique:
** Half-fill the Camelbak.
**Freeze - making sure the fill cap (top) and the hose (bottom) are not covered with water.
**Next day - fill the Camelbak with water.
**You'll have ice-temperature water, and as the ice freezes, that - of course - also turns into water.

I do something similar with regular water bottles:
** I always keep a few on the freezer, half filled.
** On ride-day - fill with water, and I have excellent chilled cold water
Old 06-21-13, 09:48 PM

Bikes: Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For any taste in water bottles and Camelbak. Wash then mix 50% water 50% white vinegar in bottles fill with mixture let sit overnight rinse then use. The Camelbak one cup each put in blater let out air run some into drinking tube let set over night rinse then use.
Old 06-21-13, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I have a Camelbak Hawg that I bought probably 13 or 14 years ago. It's big enough to go overnighting with if ya want. I don't use the hydration pack too much any more unless I'm going on an all day ride, but I sure like to be able to carry my gear and have enough space to stop on the way home and buy groceries for dinner and be able to stow them in there.
Just talking about the back pack it'self for a moment, Camelback is a very well made piece of gear. Both my Hawg and my wife's Mule have served us well for many years with never a popped stitch or a ripped seam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.