User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoulder Blade Squeeze for Neck Pain

Aches and pains tend to come and go, so it's hard to know if a particular exercise is the one that solved a specific pain.

However, I've been doing a shoulder blade squeeze a lot recently, and the pain that I've had right where the neck and shoulder meet, has gone away. Recently, I've been really squeezing hard during this exercise, and I think that made the difference. IOW, it's not a stretch, it's more like an isotonic strength-training thing. It sounds like it builds up the muscles so that there's more room, and less rubbing.

The exercise described at 1:42 in the video below, although the issue described is different from what I have. You can do it while riding.

I figured I should share this in case someone else is having exactly the issue I've had.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoulder Blade Squeeze for Neck Pain

This shoulder blade squeeze is great. It builds up back muscles so the chest muscles won't dominate. Also stretch your chest muscles before and after a ride. They stay contracted as you hunch forward on your bike.
    Another good one to do after a ride is to lie on the floor and cup your chin in your hands (like a little kid watching t.v.). Hold for 1 minute, rest 1 minute, repeat 3-5 times.
    A great little book is Treating Your Own Neck by Robin McKenzie.

Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Aches and pains tend to come and go, so it's hard to know if a particular exercise is the one that solved a specific pain.

However, I've been doing a shoulder blade squeeze a lot recently, and the pain that I've had right where the neck and shoulder meet, has gone away. Recently, I've been really squeezing hard during this exercise, and I think that made the difference. IOW, it's not a stretch, it's more like an isotonic strength-training thing. It sounds like it builds up the muscles so that there's more room, and less rubbing.

The exercise described at 1:42 in the video below, although the issue described is different from what I have. You can do it while riding.

I figured I should share this in case someone else is having exactly the issue I've had.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's me doing the shoulder blade squeeze:

My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add another THANKS for your post. While not completely solving the issues I have, only a total shoulder replacement can do so or so say 2 surgeons, my problems have been lessened using the method shown along with additional exercises.

My Bikes
    Giant Defy Advanced, Windsor Tourist
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one of a series of exercises that a physical therapist gave me for a 40 year old football injury that started hurting a few years ago. Evidently there's scar tissue from a badly broken collar bone.

Another similar exercise is to rest both elbows and arms on a door opening and lean through the opening.

I also do something he called 'the turtle' where I lift my shoulders up to my ears as much as possible. Sometimes there's one heck of a popping sound but it feels better afterwards.

I also try to lean my head on one shoulder then the next.

I hold all these positions at least 10 seconds or more and repeat a few times each.

My Bikes
    2011 GT Avalanche
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These exercises and stretching suggestions are great! Thanks for the tips! I just did a few of them and feel better already!

I looked up this thread because I recently started developing some constant neck pain, even though I have been riding regularly for over 6 years now. So, go figure. I guess I've developed a bad habit or poor posture somewhere along the line.

Oh, and I'm old, so that doesn't help matters much.
    2011 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0 Hyd Disc ~ 1997 GT Ricochet ~ 1993 Lotus Pro Series 3000M

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also excellent to relieve pain from rotator cuff problems.........................

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad8 7,Giant ATX760 , Nishiki Prestige Upgrade
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had neck problems this entire cycling season. Turning to look over my left shoulder for oncoming
    traffic pinches really bad.I'm going go try some of the above exercises. Hopefully something will work..

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works for me, too. Someone had posted similar tips some years back and have used this technique on and off.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage