Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oregon Coast the summer?

Hi all. I'm 61 and have an interest in taking a trip down the Oregon Coast this summer. It's a beautiful trip; I"m planning on about 9 days. There are many State Parks along the way, so finding places to overnite should not be a problem. I live in Santa Clarita Ca. Let me know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may wish to look into Cycle America's Coast lines/Redwoods/Crater Lake tour. This 9 day tour covers around 600 miles between August 2nd and the 11th. Its starts in Cottage Grove OR and proceeds west to the coast, then down the Oregon coast to Reedsport, Brandon, Gold Beach and Cresent city. It then heads west over the Cascades to Gold Hill and Crater Lake with a day off in Crater Lake. From there it heads northwest to Glide and back to Cottage Grove.

It's fully supported with both camping or a motel option. My spinning group rode their Northern Cascades tour last summer and is returning this summer for this tour. I highly recommend Cycle America as a tour operator.

Sam

My Bikes
    Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the Oregon coast back in 1999, and I suspect that I will ride it again some day. You're right that there are plenty of state parks along the way, and they even have special rates for cyclists. You can read about my experience at denise1999nw.crazyguyonabike.com.

--- Denise

My Bikes
    Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also - I'd recommend riding the Oregon coast from north to south for two reasons. The first is the prevailing wind direction - I believe you will be more likely to have the wind in your favor heading north to south. The second is that the west side of the road has a wider shoulder.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oregon offers a great bicycing road map, which is free for the asking. They also offer a free bicycle map specific to the Oregon Coast Bike Route, you should request both.

Oregon Department of Transportation
    Salem, OR 97310

Telephone 503-986-3556

Will you be riding all the way to Sant Clarita? Nice touring all the way down to the bay area.

Good luck and enjoy Oregon, as well as the rest of your adventure!
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam.g
    You may wish to look into Cycle America's Coast lines/Redwoods/Crater Lake tour. This 9 day tour covers around 600 miles between August 2nd and the 11th. Its starts in Cottage Grove OR and proceeds west to the coast, then down the Oregon coast to Reedsport, Brandon, Gold Beach and Cresent city. It then heads west over the Cascades to Gold Hill and Crater Lake with a day off in Crater Lake. From there it heads northwest to Glide and back to Cottage Grove.

It's fully supported with both camping or a motel option. My spinning group rode their Northern Cascades tour last summer and is returning this summer for this tour. I highly recommend Cycle America as a tour operator.

Sam
    Hi Sam, Do you know which route they take from Cottage Grove to the coast?
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on riding from Seattle to North Bend Oregon and back to Tacoma Washington in July. A 45th year high school reunion was scheduled the weekend following the STP bicycle ride. I plan on riding the STP in 2 days, staying overnight in Portland and on Monday going west to Lincoln City. From there I will take 2 more days going south on highway 101 to reach North Bend. On Sunday July 17th I plan on going north on highway 101, traveling 70 to 90+ miles a day. At Astoria I will go east to Westport Oregon and take the ferry across the Columbia. Then on to Kelso Washington and retrace the STP route to Tacoma. If the prevailing wind is to strong I will go east and pick up old highway 99 to Portland and return to Tacoma via the STP route.

Get the Oregon bicycle map. On the many times I have driven the coast I seem to remember the hills they show as not so steep as being steeper than represented on the map.
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shifty,

To the best of my knowledge Cycle America keeps their route details a secret until just before the tour. Last summer on their Northern Cascades Tour, we were only given the route sheet the night before after dinner.

You may wish to contact them to see if they'd share this information with you.

good luck,

Sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am 62 and am planning my first bike tour, part of it will be down the Oregon coast. Any imput I can receive from experienced hikers would be greatly appreciated. I am serious about this trip. It is something I have wanted to do for many years.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's some good info here. And yes, get the maps.

Other things to consider: the weather is better later in summer, up to the middle of September. However, whenever you go, plan on wet. Even if you don't have actual rain, the morning dew and local precip will be wet and cold. Also, layer up, it may be in the 40's in the morning and in the 80's in the afternoon.

Traffic is heavy with all the tourists during the summer months but drops off significantly after Labor Day. I too recommend on riding north to south because of the wider shoulders--but no guarantee on the winds being favorable tho--they blow in all directions.

PALux makes a good point--the maps lie about the elevation gains. Little know Oregon secret: elevation depends on the time of day and distance ridden--hills get bigger as the day wears on.

Camping: the state has hiker/biker sites at most of the state parks for a fairly reasonable rate (I think it was $4 last year) per biker--but the sites are usually only so-so. If you buddy with some other riders and get a regular site you'll probably have more room and possibly a better view (if there is any). Too, many of the state parks have yurts and now small cabins for a pretty reasonable rate. You can't reserve hike/bike sites, but you can yurt/cabins--online.

Some of the best scenery and neat out-of-the-way places aren't on the maps. Sometimes poking down a side road, asking the locals, that sort of thing will result in views or even parks and campgrounds not even listed on the maps. I've seen so many bikes pass the Umpqua River lighthouse/Winchester Bay loop and miss out on some of the most spectacular scenery on the coast. Plus if you're going south the hill just south of Winchester Bay is a long pull. You mostly miss it by going around.

Other pearls of wisdom here: the north coast (north of Newport) is more heavily populated therefore there's more places to eat, buy supplies, get water--that sort of thing. South of Newport it gets a little more spotty. South of Coos Bay it can be downright sparse at times. For example, there's nothing between (about 30 miles) from Charleston/Coos Bay to Bandon (there is a state park just north of town--but the closest store is another 3 miles). And south of Bandon the towns are about 30 miles apart and not a lot in between. None of this is a problem unless you're self supporting.

I'd suggest writing the local tourist bureaus--they'll have local maps and info as well. Oh, and when you get to Langlois, stop at the store and get one of their hot dogs--about 1/4 pound, homemade hot sweet mustard, crunchy dill(!) pickles--oh man, they're worth the trip alone.

Have fun.

John in Roseburg
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw