User Tag List

My Bikes
    Fisher Rail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reward bike - opinions?

I've decide to reward myself once I hit my weight loss goal. Another 20 or so pounds to go, and I *WILL* succeed later this year. The reward will be a higher end road bike. I had a Trek 1000 that I loved ... until I crashed it at 26 mph. Now on a Gary Fisher Rail that's only OK. Looking for opinions on solid, mid-range (let's say around $2,000) road bikes. Typical ride is 15-30 miles, with an occasional longer one. Not a big climber.

I spend most of my time on the hoods, and LOVE the thumb-shift of my low-end Shimano components. Suggestions? Thinking I should look at Trek, Giant, Specialized, maybe Bianchi or Colnago. Other options?

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll only find Shimano's thumb shift levers on low-end bikes. As soon as you move up, it's dual levers. Campy has thumb buttons on all their line, but it's hard to find Campy in a $2K bike. Hell, it's hard to find Campy on any showroom bike.

Keeping in mind the recent thread about how you buy the dealer, not the bike, if you liked your Trek dealer, (I'm guessing so since you have two bikes by them), consider the Domane 4.0. It's the entry-level of the carbon frame version of the Domane. The components are just fine. While the wheels are nothing to write home about, they're perfectly serviceable and on the same level as those on your 1000.
    Last edited by tsl; 06-29-13 at 08:56 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2,000 should get you a decent bike no matter what make you go for but you could get better in a few months time when the 2014 models are announced. Stock sale of 2013 bikes will occur and some will have good discounts.

For a price range you will find all the manufacturers bikes will be around the same spec. You should be able to get a C.F. frame with 105/Ultegra and you have an interesting time ahead of you. If you don't have a regular LBS then start the choice of one right now. That is almost more important than the bike but check out the bikes and hopefully test ride a few before choosing both. Although once the LBS is chosen you will go with one of the bikes they sell.

I am in favour of going for a more "Up-Market" bike. Pinarello- Colnago- BMC etc. Admittedly normally found in the classier shops that can be a bit cliquey but well worth test riding to see if you like the better "Named" variety of bike.

I have 3 road bikes and each of them is different. One Big name in a Giant TCR-C (My only C.F. bike) A Boreas that is no longer made and is a Top End Aluminium frame that was well worth the money and a Pinarello Uno that is the low end model of their line. Each has it's own properties and of the 3 I should say there is no favourite but it took a lot of test riding to find those bikes. I tried all the local Shops and a few a a bit further out that had good offers on their range. I do know that it was interesting and some of the more popular bikes did not suit me well. Some of them I was prepared to blow my budget on as they were superb bikes but above my price limit but sanity prevailed.

On the low end shifters--That is what they are- low end. Hopefully you will be going 10 speed and I don't think there is a Thumb shift Brifter in ten speed. The Pinnie has Tiagra and is low end but is as good as my 5 year old 105/ Ultegra on the other bikes although it may not last as long before parts have to be replaced.

So get out and test ride before taking any personal preferences from us. You never know- you may be lucky enough to find the Pinarello Dogma is the bike for you and the shop does you an exceptional deal to get us envious.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

JRD
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Defy 3 Composite - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Reward bike to myself is going to be a Trek Domane. Happy Shopping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    My Reward bike to myself is going to be a Trek Domane. Happy Shopping!
    The Domane 4.0 is bike I have picked out as my reward bike.

FYI - When do the 2013 models go on sale

My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The reward bike I wouldn't get would be a bike with short reach brakes like the Treks that have been mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I really like racing bikes. The OP wants, presumably, a bike that will be useful for a long time. Get a bike that can take a little fatter tire and that way you can run a 28c or even a 32c tire. If you aren't racing, fatter tires are the way to go. The wheels will last longer and the bike will soak up the bumps better. So I'd look primarily at cross bikes. They're great road bikes that can take skinny or fat tires.

Also either a surly pacer or cross check would make fine road bike and cost a lot less than 2k. Soma has a number of road frames that can take fat tires. At one time, most if not all racing bikes used what we would call today long reach brakes. The move to short reach brakes was good for racing but not so good for the rest of us. This is one place where going back in time component wise is a good thing.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goaliedad30 View Post
    I've decide to reward myself once I hit my weight loss goal. Another 20 or so pounds to go, and I *WILL* succeed later this year. The reward will be a higher end road bike. I had a Trek 1000 that I loved ... until I crashed it at 26 mph. Now on a Gary Fisher Rail that's only OK. Looking for opinions on solid, mid-range (let's say around $2,000) road bikes. Typical ride is 15-30 miles, with an occasional longer one. Not a big climber.

I spend most of my time on the hoods, and LOVE the thumb-shift of my low-end Shimano components. Suggestions? Thinking I should look at Trek, Giant, Specialized, maybe Bianchi or Colnago. Other options?
    I guess I just can't agree with the waiting to reward one's self, thought process. We know not what tomorrow will bring so why not just go for it now and make the loss of the next 20lbs much more enjoyable.

Lots of advice already given as to bike selections and there is nothing I will add other than, you deserve the best you can afford, so test ride what's out there and have fun making your selection.

My choice as to selecting the Giant Propel SL3 was as simple as the top tube allowed me to pedal with my knees tucked in. I test rode more expensive bikes that many feel are superior but the tap, tap, tap....... of the top tube ruled them out.
    Last edited by OldTryGuy; 06-30-13 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do whatever it takes to motivate yourself. If a reward bike is it....go for it!!!

Goalie Dad...Hockey?

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A recent review of 40 bikes by Cycling Plus put Giant TCR at the top, with Trek Domane second, but top for comfort. Someone borrowed my copy of the mag, so I don't have the exact models. Maybe Bikeradar.com could help.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone should be able to have one reward bike. My RANS Stratus was my reward for working 47 years for the same company. It was my retirement gift to my self, a reward so to speak. That was 5 years ago yesterday, and I love riding the Stratus. It has been basically flawless for these 5 years, just normal maintence.

My Bikes
    '01 Lemond MJ, '96 Pinarello Dyna
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not for everyone, I know, but, I got a NOS top of the line 1994 Pinarello frame, with Campy Record for $1200. There are some great bikes in perfect condition for $2,000 if you look at vintage and classic bikes. Hard to test ride, but at this stage many of us know what we are looking for. Just sayin.

My Bikes
    Fisher Rail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all. Some great suggestions. My LBS has been great, but they recently converted to a Trek-exclusive shop, so if I want other options, I will need to find a new one. There are a number of great shops in the area that cater to the road community, so I'm sure I'll visit them and test ride. And yes, "GoalieKid" was a hockey goaltender up through the midget/high school ranks. His college club career was ended early, by a herniated disk in his back.

tcs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    ...consider the Domane 4.0.
    For not much more, the OP could get titanium and full Ultegra or SRAM Red.

You pay a lot for a dealer. If you buy a dealer, make sure they're worth it (certainly, none of my LBSs are).
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gunnar Sport.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized Rubaix,'Nuff said!

Mark Shuman

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2,Trek 2300, Specialized Carve Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reward bike after recovering from having both knees replaced on 7-23-12 was a Domane 5.2. I feel I made a good choice, been on her since October.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goaliedad30: For $2,000.00 you can get a very nice bicycle: Bianchi Vertigo

http://www.cyclingactive.com/bikesge...105-first-ride

Relaxed, comfortable and upright position

Congratulations
    Last edited by VNA; 07-21-13 at 10:19 PM.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're in San Jose, near Specialized (Morgan Hill). That would say it all. After that reward bike, you'll lose even more weight and then its time for another reward of a new wheelset. It doesn't seem to end.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of nice bikes out there so you shouldn't have a problem finding a great ride. One of the things that matters to me is the design of things. When I look at my bicycle or motorcycle or even my car I like to see something that "speaks to me." It's a very personal thing that no one else can advise you on IMO. When I look at my Masi or my Ducati I get that feeling and that makes me smile.