Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding After Death

Just read somewhere that the median age of life expectancy is currently 78.something. Since I have just passed that I am paying close attention to my environment. Hills seem still to be pretty bad so perhaps I am in Hell.
    On the other hand I don't see any of my less savory relatives or Huffy bikes and the women still look good so maybe I made it to Heaven through some fluke.
    Last edited by Sculptor7; 07-13-13 at 04:04 PM.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for checking in from the other side,wherever that is.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere, a long time ago, I read that a cyclist has a fatal accident on the average of once every 25 years. So far, so good.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I had arthroscopic surgery on my knees the doc said I could ride till I was 100. I hope the rest of my body was listening.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I see you just around the corner - no WAIT!! I need to catch up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    Just read somewhere that the median age of life expectancy is currently 78.
    Life expectancy of someone born today is 81. Life expectancy of a 78 year old today is almost 11 more years. And Huffys are almost extinct.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No male in my family or my father's family has ever made it past 71, I'm hoping to buck that trend.

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read somewhere that the median age of life expectancy is currently 78.something.
    Meidan of course means roughly half the population will be above that number, and roughly half below it. I'm going to hazard a guess that anyone over that age posting here is in the half above that number.
    And I did it all clean.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    Life expectancy of someone born today is 81. Life expectancy of a 78 year old today is almost 11 more years. And Huffys are almost extinct.
    Try and tell that to one of my close relatives who is absolutely convinced that at the age of 80 she has one year to live. She heard that the life expectancy is 81 on the radio.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bypass 12 years ago and they said at that time that it would give me another 10 years. Many of us on this Forum are bucking the trend so it just proves that if you want a long life-Join the 50+ group.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend recently had a birthday. My wish for the celebrant was: "Happy Birthday and Many More and May Your Birthdays Never Catch Mine" He didn't get it.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My motto is 'pay no attention to experts'; they are frequently wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    No male in my family or my father's family has ever made it past 71, I'm hoping to buck that trend.
    That's the scary part. I just looked at a note in my wallet this morning and my dad died when he was 68. I'm almost that age now! Well, about six years away from that anyway. Six years is nothing! But, he was in poor health due to a lifetime of smoking, and he was not really physically active as an adult. I can only hope that my cycling and tennis keep me somewhat fit and strong.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    My motto is 'pay no attention to experts'; they are frequently wrong.
    And they frequently die

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sculptor7, I mean this sincerely. You are an inspiration to those of us who are wondering how much longer we can enjoy this sport. Please Keep setting the bar higher.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read somewhere that the median age of life expectancy is currently 78.something. Since I have just passed that I am paying close attention to my environment. Hills seem still to be pretty bad so perhaps I am in Hell.
    On the other hand I don't see any of my less savory relatives or Huffy bikes and the women still look good so maybe I made it to Heaven through some fluke.

Please tell me this is not another zombie thread!

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
    Please tell me this is not another zombie thread!

Marc
    27 miles today in the heat and humidity. Actually, I am feeling a bit zombieish right now.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Somewhere, a long time ago, I read that a cyclist has a fatal accident on the average of once every 25 years. So far, so good.
    Just curious;
    if a cyclist has a fatal accident once every 25 years,
    how many lives does a cyclist have ?
    ride long & prosper

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dad's dad - 69 - cancer
    Dad's younger brother - 67 - heart and diabetes
    Dad - 72 - heart

Dad had his first two heart attacks at 55 and 3mos. I didn't think he'd live to 60. He proved me wrong...

I just turned 55 in May and BP and cholesterol are under control. My cancer scare was two years ago and is gone. I still need to ride more though. I also could stand to lose 50 pounds...

I gotta get the Fuji converted into a tourer, and the Uni is a sprightly ride especially after the rebuild to lighter than ever! I took almost a full pound off the bike between pedals, tires, derailleur, freewheel.... Now that I add it up, I actually cut more than a pound! Spokes were straight 14ga and now 14/15/14 butted -one ounce/wheel (2oz). Tires lost 60g each (4oz) rear derailleur lost 57g (2oz), pedals lost 43g ea (3oz), seatpost/seat (4oz), Freewheel 26g (1oz), 8-spd chain (2oz), misc (2oz) but Suntour barcons were a net +2oz heavier+ cabling... Bike should weigh in at 23.4 pounds now... I'll have to weigh it to be sure.... Not bad for vintage steel!
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be past my body's expiration date . .
    Am only 80 and still pedaling 100+ miles a week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    I must be past my body's expiration date . .
    Am only 80 and still pedaling 100+ miles a week.
    In the southern Arizona heat, none-the-less. You are another of our under appreciated heroes. Somebody we can look up to and a real inspiration.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To whomever asked - Yes, I took a pound off my bike during the current rebuild/refit using lighter parts. I just bought the thing and I'm overhauling it just to be sure of its condition. While doing that, some of the clunkier parts are being replaced with better/lighter components from my parts stash.

And yes, I need to lose 50 pounds. Well, not really fifty, but that is my goal. I'd like to get my weight down to under 150 so take some of the strain off my knees. Knee pain I can work through. I can't ride any bike right now due to severe arthritis neck pain - so bad it hurts to even bein a car on a bumpy road. Driving a car hurts even more due to the constant neck swiveling. With this condition, I can't even think about riding a bike with high-pressure tires on the bumpy roads around here. Even walking any distance hurts like a mother. About all I can do is work out on the upright exercise bike a bit, but that gets extremely boring after 30 minutes.

My neck muscles have locked themselves to hold the offending joint from moving. Between the muscle knot and the grinding, that's a lot of pain. Muscle relaxers only partially take care of the muscle knot. A steroid injection right into the knot did nothing. Physical therapy didn't work. I'm having my first neck surgery this Thursday, with another scheduled two weeks later. Hopefully it will work! If not, they'll have to do more surgeries in three months or so.

I really had been looking forward to riding a bunch when I retired this past Spring - I've even planned out a 1037-mile three-week tour around the state - but all those plans are on hold until I get this neck issue worked out. This is just another pot-hole in the road of life. I've made it this far and I WILL get past it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I joined the road club in 1989 there was a guy who led a lot of the rides and I learned a lot from him. He was older than I but had great endurance and bike handling skills. He doesn't come to club rides anymore but 2 weeks ago I saw him on the road and he was looking great at 83.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my father in law had a double bypass in his 50s and 11 years later in his 60s had a quadruple. 30 years later, he'll be 90 in the fall.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Trek 6700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    That's the scary part. I just looked at a note in my wallet this morning and my dad died when he was 68. I'm almost that age now! Well, about six years away from that anyway. Six years is nothing! But, he was in poor health due to a lifetime of smoking, and he was not really physically active as an adult. I can only hope that my cycling and tennis keep me somewhat fit and strong.
    My dad passed away at 49 from a brain tumer. I am now 57 and still going. I feel very blessed on that! Like your signature by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast