Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-13, 02:47 PM   #26
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
Could be possibly heat exhaustion, if it's not a severe case, he is probably okay. 3 Hours hard riding with less then 1L of water, in conditions where it's hotter then usual, yeah I would put my bet on heat exhaustion.
That is the first thing I'm looking for when riding in weather hotter than I'm conditioned for. I usually get a light case of heat exh a couple times each summer. First time a rode in 85-90deg weather I couldnt figure out why the 180 pulse and extra breathing at speed. I dropped to the small chainring.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 01:40 PM   #27
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
just googled this, it got me thinking ...

Featured Question

My husband seems out of breath after we have vigorous sex. He's 48 and in pretty good shape. He won't talk to his doctor about it. Should I be concerned?

It's probably nothing serious--just heightened excitement. A vigorous romp for a healthy man is akin to running a quarter-mile at 5 MPH. Increased heart rate and being out of breath are perfectly normal. His stamina should increase if you practice regularly. However, if the symptoms seem to be getting worse or if your partner is experiencing chest pain, which should never be ignored, he should visit his doc to get a comprehensive workup. A thorough and complete checkup will make sure there are no underlying health issues to worry about.

But this seems more significant:

Shortness of breath from exertion or exercise. If your shortness of breath isn't severe, you may notice it only when you are exerting yourself, and sometimes only during more intense exertion. The medical term for this symptom is dyspnea (say "DISP-nee-uh").
When heart failure develops gradually, your shortness of breath also may develop gradually, which can make it hard to notice. But people with more severe heart failure may have shortness of breath with minimal exertion.

rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 02:44 PM   #28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
another opinion

I heard of 2 cyclists having exercise induced asthema while riding.They use those inhalers.But didn't have them on their rides.Its been in the 90's and very muggy.Both were pulled over and couldnt catch their breath.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote