Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member digibud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Further North than U
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Posts
    1,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ride done, friend keeps breathing hard...

    So I did a 40mi ride with a friend. Hot out (over 80F which is abnormally hot for us. Without any joking, we aren't used to riding in that kind of heat)...he didn't drink enough...and we did stop for some lunch half way through. He had one water bottle in three hours...we pushed pretty hard...and when it was done we stopped at my place and he just felt like cr*& and it was a full 30 min before he really caught his breath to the point of relaxing. He wasn't gasping for air...but was breathing abnormally hard for being done. He was wiped and had to take it really easy. Not bonked. We finished reasonably strong. No point in asking about going to the emergency room. Not my call. Nothing came of it. He's fine but he took the next day off from riding. Anyone experienced this kind of a thing?
    Alaskans for global warming.

  2. #2
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,210
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I developed Atrial Fibulation a couple years ago. Your friends ride reaction sounds very similar. The heart stresses and beats excessively fast. So fast that blood doesn't flow correctly. It takes a long time to recover. A. Doctor visit is in order.

    Was your friend wearing a heart rate monitor?
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    So I did a 40mi ride with a friend. Hot out (over 80F which is abnormally hot for us. Without any joking, we aren't used to riding in that kind of heat)...he didn't drink enough...and we did stop for some lunch half way through. He had one water bottle in three hours...we pushed pretty hard...and when it was done we stopped at my place and he just felt like cr*& and it was a full 30 min before he really caught his breath to the point of relaxing. He wasn't gasping for air...but was breathing abnormally hard for being done. He was wiped and had to take it really easy. Not bonked. We finished reasonably strong. No point in asking about going to the emergency room. Not my call. Nothing came of it. He's fine but he took the next day off from riding. Anyone experienced this kind of a thing?
    Could be possibly heat exhaustion, if it's not a severe case, he is probably okay. 3 Hours hard riding with less then 1L of water, in conditions where it's hotter then usual, yeah I would put my bet on heat exhaustion.

  4. #4
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple dehydration.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  5. #5
    Senior Member John_V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Posts
    3,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Simple dehydration.
    This gets my vote. Dehydration can and will cause other issues that can be life threatening if the dehydration is severe enough.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

    2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress


  6. #6
    Si Senior dbg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Naperville, Illinois
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Posts
    2,431
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a scary experience in my 20's. Working track maintenance on the railroad (summer job) in 100 degree heat. That evening my heart wouldn't stop racing. Scared me a lot. I sat in a cool bath tub for an hour and then took a nap. Probably dehydration and heat exhaustion. Fluids are huge and you have to consciously force yourself to take fluids sometimes when the body "doesn't feel like drinking."
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,198
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be something or nothing. Good excuse for a proper physical exam plus blood work if not performed within a year.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you stop for lunch? Some of those places will take a person's breath away.

    Too much smoke? Some folks are more sensitive than others and if the wind was blowing your way....
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

  9. #9
    Senior Member volosong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, SoCal
    Posts
    2,507
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If not used to doing so, riding in the heat could be life-threatening. It is something that requires a degree of acclimation. Even though I live in the desert, there are days when I won't even attempt to ride.

    digibud, how much water did you drink on that ride? No ill effects on you?

    Glad your riding buddy is okay. Make sure he drinks enough next time. Insist on it!
    Deut 6:5

    ---

    "Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

  10. #10
    Senior Member digibud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Further North than U
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Posts
    1,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend normally wears a hr monitor but not that day. It wasn't smokey (but today it is). I'm fairly sure it was dehydration...heat exhaustion. I drank roughly 2.5bottles of water. I'm on all sorts of wonderful drugs for my gunked-up heart arteries and have been warned that getting badly dehydrated and riding as hard as I do is a really not-smart thing to do. I think my friend may have realized that by now too...
    Alaskans for global warming.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bristol, R. I.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently weigh myself after a ride in hot weather just to get a feel for my hydration. In the last few weeks it has been very hot here with temps in the low to mid 90s F with high humidity. Weight loss has only been 1 or 2 lbs during rides of three to four hours so I know I've been drinking enough.

    I don;t know how much drinking cold water contributes to keeping cool but I much prefer cold drinks. I freeze water bottles, one completely full and one half full. The full bottle is used last and I keep it covered with an old fleece sock and it stays cold for the entire ride. Cold water encourages drinking for me.

  12. #12
    Senior Member volosong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, SoCal
    Posts
    2,507
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    ...The full bottle is used last and I keep it covered with an old fleece sock and it stays cold for the entire ride.
    Yeah, I really like cold water too. The covering a bottle with a sock came up recently on BF, maybe in a different sub-forum. How do you put a sock over the bottle, and have it fit into the bottle cage? I think I'd bust my cages if I were to try to put a sock covered bottle in it.
    Deut 6:5

    ---

    "Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    My friend normally wears a hr monitor but not that day. It wasn't smokey (but today it is). I'm fairly sure it was dehydration...heat exhaustion. I drank roughly 2.5bottles of water. I'm on all sorts of wonderful drugs for my gunked-up heart arteries and have been warned that getting badly dehydrated and riding as hard as I do is a really not-smart thing to do. I think my friend may have realized that by now too...
    Glad to hear that you weren't in the smoke. Probably not as bad as structural fire smoke but into the recesses of the lungs wildfire smoke can create some real problems.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

  14. #14
    Trek 500 Kid Zinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On really hot days I like to plan my routes past places where I can refill those bottles after my water gets warm. I can squeeze he warm water down my back just before I do.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bristol, R. I.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    Yeah, I really like cold water too. The covering a bottle with a sock came up recently on BF, maybe in a different sub-forum. How do you put a sock over the bottle, and have it fit into the bottle cage? I think I'd bust my cages if I were to try to put a sock covered bottle in it.
    Somehow the fleece sock goes right over the water bottle from top to bottom. One of these days I want to get some wind-stopper fleece remnants and sew up a custom cover. There is an outdoor equipment supplier in New Hampshire, (Ragged Mountain) who has all sorts of fabric remnants in bins for cheap. I'm planning one or two weekend tours up there sometime this summer and will stock up then on fabric.

  16. #16
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sock goes from bottom to top. Use an elastic band to keep the sock attached at the top and so it doesn't ride up and block the nozzle. If you use a metal bottle cage, ease the cage open with your hands so the bottle will slide in but still with some firmness. If you use polycarbonate cages or CF cage, then you might not have the same options, and will have to experiment with the thickness of sock you use.

    Cotton socks work well. Kids socks work quite well for their size matching to the bottle. But be aware that in really dry conditions, the water will evaporate quickly. Seems to work for me in humid conditions while the bike is moving, but others argue that point.

    I use a second bottle to drop water onto the socked one as required.

    I just don't like drinking hot water from a bottle and will delay it as much as possible, especially when there isn't a freezer to ice the bottles.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Merry Land
    My Bikes
    Guru Evolo R, Colnago Pista, Look AL 464P SS, various frankenbikes
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This probably isn't the case, but something that sounds very similar happened to a riding partner of mine. Around the middle of a hilly 40 mile ride also on a hot day, he began to wilt and couldn't get good full breaths. It continued after he got home so he went to the ER, and was diagnosed with a collapsed lung. Strangely, he is nearly 20 years my junior and in decent shape, so you shouldn't take any of this stuff lightly.

  18. #18
    Trek 500 Kid Zinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stilltooslow View Post
    This probably isn't the case, but something that sounds very similar happened to a riding partner of mine. Around the middle of a hilly 40 mile ride also on a hot day, he began to wilt and couldn't get good full breaths. It continued after he got home so he went to the ER, and was diagnosed with a collapsed lung. Strangely, he is nearly 20 years my junior and in decent shape, so you shouldn't take any of this stuff lightly.
    If that were what it was he wouldn't have regained his normal breathing after awhile.

    Sporatic pneumothorax is the medical term. It's usually caused by dried out blebs (which some people are born with) on the lungs. Smoke will dry them out and a collapsed lung after a neighborhood football game was the motivation for me to stop smoking cigarrettes in my mid 20s. Running or cycling will help strengthen the lungs and prevent further incidents but if ya'll are stopping to burn one your riding parter might want to take his tokes more moderately, lol.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

  19. #19
    Senior Member volosong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, SoCal
    Posts
    2,507
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Sock goes from bottom to top. Use an elastic band to keep the sock attached at the top and so it doesn't ride up and block the nozzle. If you use a metal bottle cage, ease the cage open with your hands so the bottle will slide in but still with some firmness. If you use polycarbonate cages or CF cage, then you might not have the same options, and will have to experiment with the thickness of sock you use.

    Cotton socks work well. Kids socks work quite well for their size matching to the bottle. But be aware that in really dry conditions, the water will evaporate quickly. Seems to work for me in humid conditions while the bike is moving, but others argue that point.

    I use a second bottle to drop water onto the socked one as required.

    I just don't like drinking hot water from a bottle and will delay it as much as possible, especially when there isn't a freezer to ice the bottles.
    Guess I'm out of luck. Not only do I have carbon fiber cages, that would snap easily, but I also live in a very low humidity environment. If we get 30% humid, we all start complaining about how muggy it is.
    Deut 6:5

    ---

    "Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

  20. #20
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    Guess I'm out of luck. Not only do I have carbon fiber cages, that would snap easily, but I also live in a very low humidity environment. If we get 30% humid, we all start complaining about how muggy it is.
    I use carbon cages, too. I use larger Zefal bottles than the normal ones but without the socks. I haven't broken one of those cages despite the wider diameter. A standard bidon with a narrower diameter with a sock wouldn't be a problem for me. I think CF cages are a little tougher than people give them credit for.

    The polycarbonate ones I have are pretty good, but I think they would break sooner than the CF ones. I went away from using alloy cages a while ago, and my bottles have stayed much cleaner on the outside as a result.

    I've ridden in really hot weather with low humidity, and find that depending on the terrain, towns aren't really that far apart when water bottles can be replenished and the sock/s doused again. I will take an extra hour of cool-ish water anytime over 15 minutes before it's the temperature of a cup of hot tea.

    I always encourage people to experiment. It might work. Or it might not. But better to know than not.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camelbak and other companies make insulated bottles that work well - better than wet socks, and are normal size so they fit into cages well.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  22. #22
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,037
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rudy Green Valley07.jpg
    Handlebar mounted bottle cages with covered bottles.
    Yup, live in AZ where we ride 110 degrees . . . and there is no shade!

  23. #23
    Senior Member digibud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Further North than U
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Posts
    1,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried to make the case for moving to Tucson but my wife took it off the table. Summer in Alaska is too hot for her so I'm looking for a place (no joke) that is cooler in the summer, with a short winter and isn't rainy all the time. High desert? Coastal area that isn't too rainy or expensive? I haven't really started searching in earnest but I'd like to find a nice area to retire to where we could bike and the weather was temperate. Riding in 110? Jeez. Unbelievable.
    Alaskans for global warming.

  24. #24
    Trek 500 Kid Zinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Spokane WA
    My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Rudy Green Valley07.jpg
    Handlebar mounted bottle cages with covered bottles.
    Yup, live in AZ where we ride 110 degrees . . . and there is no shade!
    I used to rake hotmix on a parking lot paving crew during the summer in Phoenix. I did this in my 20s though and don't think I could cut it at 62. We started our days before daybreak and ended them about 3:00 PM. We did take advantage of salt tablets which I never had to do in Texas.

    Riding in 110.....That's brutal. I rode some in humid east Texas at 100 but I don't recall that being as hot as Phoenix.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

  25. #25
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •