Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '14 Salsa Colossal, '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat, wind, and hills

On Friday I did a hilly 50 miles. I left early, to beat the heat. The sun was out and shining brightly, the humidity was on its way down, but the wind was on its way up. A cool front came through during the night hours to push it out, but brought with it increased winds. I set a course for the Mississippi River, and was planning to make it to 50 miles. It is 20 miles to the river, with a long slog out of town, and one more little climb to the highpoint before the descent. A high speed mile or so, a little climb, and then basically along the Trimbelle River to the Mississippi, a nice shallow trout stream. That is where the fun starts! There are a few nice hard climbs coming back. There was a detour about 5 miles up the county road and forced me to go farther east than planned, where there are even more ups and downs. And made me have to spend more time fighting the wind coming back. I don't mind the hills, because there is always the top. But the wind, it doesn't stop. And it blows even harder along the ridges, and always seem to be against me in the lowlands. When I got home, I was SPENT! And every time I do that many hard hills, my lower back aches. I love the challenge of a good, hard ride every now and then, but could do with out the back ache.

Next week I am planning on getting in a 100 miler on my day off. But most definitely will not be so hilly. ANd less windy, fingers crossed.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/344930402
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a good ride but take the camera next time

You sound like me-Hills and you know they will end but where is the cover in a headwind? Wind sucks.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of hills, a good friend of mine (59 yoa) just ran a 50 mile race in Leadville, Colorado, starting at 10,000 feet and going to over 12,000 feet of elevation. His motto for the event was: "It's a hill...get over it!" I get a burning in my thighs riding up the "hills" of central Florida.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My strategy for wind is to think..."Get very small..." Nice ride report.

Regarding the lower back pain, there was a 2008 thread on this topic you might want to browse: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-going-uphill
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeetowner View Post
    Speaking of hills, a good friend of mine (59 yoa) just ran a 50 mile race in Leadville, Colorado, starting at 10,000 feet and going to over 12,000 feet of elevation. His motto for the event was: "It's a hill...get over it!" I get a burning in my thighs riding up the "hills" of central Florida.
    27 years ago tomorrow we crossed into Fl. leaving NJ and the hills behind. Sunday I rode a 60 mile San Antonio, FL. route with 2,900- feet climbing and it felt GREAT. Today 60 miles with 15-20mph winds, temperature 89F with elevated humidity and it felt GREAT. Other than riding in the rain, how could anybody not have a good time on a bike?

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind is my training partner.
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take the heat and hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains any day compared to the incessant, stiff winter Boston wind. It can be demoralizing, but it does make one a better rider ( me thinks it's good for the soul ).

western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
    My Bikes
    Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take hills and wind over heat and especially humidity. I rode around Lake Winnipesaukee last Friday, heat and humidity both in the mid 90's. I usually drink two 22 oz. bottles on a 60 mile ride; I drank 7 on this one (oh, there are some hills, and there was a bit of wind as well!)